Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Could you live on one food?
Posted by: pomagranate ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:30AM

I am loving watermelon so much this summer that the only reason I get anything else is for calories and variety. There have been tales of people consuming nothing but orange juice or apples for long periods of time.

In my endless summer it would be watermelon and more watermelon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could you live on one food?
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:43AM

You are speaking my mind, I'm loving the watermelon too and too starting to feel guilty about it!smiling smileysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:46AM

pomagranate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my endless summer it would be watermelon and more watermelon.

That's a lot of Sugar. A better balance would be to buy organic Watermelons, eat the Flesh, and juice (or blend) the Rind......WY

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 22, 2012 11:26AM

You can't live on one food, there are very few foods which are nutritionally complete enough that you would be able to live off them alone. The ones which are close to being complete would be impossible to achieve enough calories such as seaweed or pollens.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 22, 2012 12:32PM

That's right, just looking at USDA figures:

The energy from a watermelon divides between 89/7/4 (carbs/protein/fat) which is not very optimal.

Then it has enough vitamin A and some vitamin C, but much less of the B group and very little of E and K, and none of D and B12. All minerals and amino acids are also contained in small quantities, which means watermelons can be optimal in these respects (barring D and B12) but we would have to eat a hell of a lot of them for it to be so.

So yeah, sadly we wouldn't be able to survive on watermelons, not for long time at leastsad smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:38PM

How about TWO foods?
I heard that coconuts and bananas have every element you need to live.
They kept Gilligan alive.

Date: July 22, 2012 03:02PM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about TWO foods?
> I heard that coconuts and bananas have every
> element you need to live.
> They kept Gilligan alive.

Missing vitamin D and B12 to start they definitley don't contain every nutrient needed to live. Very low levels of zinc from both foods overall so yeah i wouldn't recommend it.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 22, 2012 08:20PM

Gilligan got his D from the sun,and maybe b12 from palm leaves dragged in the dirt.

Date: July 22, 2012 09:24PM

Would also be low in quality protein and several viamins/minerals such as selenium and as mentioned zinc. Vitamin A & Vitamin D would be a problem if not in a warm climate with regular sunlight year round and in this day and age were not going to be getting much if any b12 from the tiny amount of soil we encounter on our produce.

In my opinion the key to a healthy diet is eating a variety of different foods so that you expose yourself to as many different nutrients, antioxidants and the unique phytonutrients that are in different coloured plant foods as possible. Im not sure why anyone would want to live on one or two foods and even if it was possible i don't think it would be healthy long term.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 09:29PM by powerlifer.

Date: July 22, 2012 09:39PM

I've posted this before but it seems relevant for this thread: have a look at this guy's menu, what a complete opposite to the mono-eating! [deanpomerleau.tripod.com]

I'm not sure but perhaps too much of a variety at one meal intake is also not a very good thing? Im thinking of possibly overloading digestion, but also of possibly some of the nutrients competing with each other with the result that we will be getting less of them. Kind of extreme just the same, only in the contrasting direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables