Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fatigued after eating greens???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 21, 2012 05:36PM

Does anyone else experience fatigue after eating greens or have an explanation for why this may be happening???

luv laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fatigued after eating greens???
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 21, 2012 05:38PM

If it is the goitrogen containing greens and you are eating them raw, in large amounts then it may be because of their effect on thyroid function.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 21, 2012 07:54PM

mostly Collards and Chard Occassionally a small amount of brocolli greens very Occassionally beet greens.

luv laugh and dream

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:58PM

Chard and beet greens have high amount of oxalic acid, not sure how it would affect health though.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 21, 2012 08:58PM

As chat says these are high oxalate containing greens, does it happen with low oxalic acid greens also?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 21, 2012 09:26PM

The greens I like come from the sea, I am never fatigued after eating them. Everything from the sea is good for you.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 21, 2012 10:10PM

luvyuu are you putting anything on those greens? If so, what are you adding?

Date: July 22, 2012 12:04AM

A little salt lemon or lime and EVOO mixed with some other veggies...

Date: July 22, 2012 01:29AM

and here I thought eating lots of greens was good for me... arg...... i eat healthier then anyone i know and i feel like crap... maybe if i eat crap I'll feel healthier... though of course i know this isn't right... i'm just frustrated of being so darned tired and weak all the time!!!!!!!!!

luf laugh and dream

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:34AM

Well I wouldnt go out and get a cheeseburger any time soon.

Maybe emphasize good old lettuce!!!!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:27AM

Try omitting the EVOO, using just lemon or lime, and see if you experience the same fatigue.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:28AM

I wonder if you are confusing fatigue with MELL-OWness, mannnn......Like, greens have lots of magnesium and doesn't lettuce have opium (LOL) or something in that category?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 22, 2012 12:57PM

For me, as I have posted in other threads over the years here, the goitrogens in greens--most of which I was juicing--really did a number on my metabolism, especially my thyroid function. I started supplementing with iodine, and varying my greens so I wasn't overconsuming too many goitrogenic greens at one time, and now I respond to them well!

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: July 22, 2012 05:31PM

La_Veronique,

you haven't said anything here

and

I remember when

you were doing a huge green juice fast

way

some years ago.

I consider you an expert

on green stuff

so what's the word?

Date: July 23, 2012 02:21AM

LOL Banana who... I think I know the difference between mellow and fatigue... Mellow means i wanna calm chill day... fatigue means i can't have anything BUT a calm chill day.... I didn't have any greens today... lettuce... my list of can haves is getting smaller and smaller here... so you understand my frustration... Do i just keep taking everything out until i am a breatharian... never really been a goal of mine... but i like the idea of opium in my lettuce...

So tell me aren't greens where we get lots of proteins or was i mislead?

luv laf and dream

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:44AM

Luvyuu, if you still worry about proteins try using "cronometer" for a while - it is the program which you can download free on your computer, you you can register at their website and use web version without downloading. What I found amazing and very helpful is the detailed breakdown that the program provides, you put in your greens and straight away you can see how they fare in supplying each essential amino acid (by contrast to just general figure of protein offered by other similar programs).

It will also give you breakdown on omega-3 and omega-6 lipids, and on all essential vitamins and minerals. One thing I noticed since I started using it, is how much copper goes into my system with eating all these greens, and how little the intake of zinc is against this pictures (the two compete with each other) So I realised it may be good idea to supplement the zinc.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:08PM

Thanks chat for the cronometer link. That's is an awesome <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">tool</a>.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:38PM

Same here.:/ I'm not sure if it's greens though. It's over a year since I went raw. I felt great all this year. And for the last couple of months I'm just tired all the time, really lacking energy. I was holding out without tea or coffee all this time. And for the last couple of weeks i started drinking green tea and coffee occasionally just to keep myself moving. I thought maybe I had some parasite or something, took a course of herbs, still feeling the same. I log my food in the Cronometer every now and then, and I hit all my values for vitamins and minerals over 100% most of the times, and do meet the required protein value. I agree, it's kind of annyoing. I'm eating raw and organic, the best food I can get, what else can I do? :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 08:40PM by littlemermaid.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 25, 2012 08:02AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if you are confusing fatigue with
> MELL-OWness, mannnn......Like, greens have lots of
> magnesium and doesn't lettuce have opium (LOL) or
> something in that category?

lettuce does not produce opium .... poppies produce opium. there is a type of opiate that lettuce produces from Lactuca virosa (wild lettuce) and most lettuces produce some sort of opiate but not to the degree of Lactuca virosa (wild lettuce) the opiate that lettuce produces is called lettuce opiate not to be confused with opium .. (produced from poppies)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 25, 2012 12:22PM

littlemermaid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same here.:/ I'm not sure if it's greens though.
> It's over a year since I went raw. I felt great
> all this year. And for the last couple of months
> I'm just tired all the time, really lacking
> energy. I was holding out without tea or coffee
> all this time. And for the last couple of weeks i
> started drinking green tea and coffee occasionally
> just to keep myself moving. I thought maybe I had
> some parasite or something, took a course of
> herbs, still feeling the same. I log my food in
> the Cronometer every now and then, and I hit all
> my values for vitamins and minerals over 100% most
> of the times, and do meet the required protein
> value. I agree, it's kind of annyoing. I'm eating
> raw and organic, the best food I can get, what
> else can I do? :/

Get some bloodwork done and see if it shows anything such as low iron, b12 or low thyroid being the most common reasons for fatigue that has developed due to a raw vegan diet.

Any other symptoms which have developed?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 12:23PM by powerlifer.

Date: July 25, 2012 01:42PM

Agree with powerlifer, littlemermaid: If your iron and B12 measures on Cron-o-meter aren't consistently high, could be anemia starting and that's easy to diagnose and easy to correct!

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: July 25, 2012 02:23PM

Thank you, powerlifter and Tamukha! I don't have any other symptoms - just lethargy and fatigue. I did have low iron and b12 on my tests last November. But back then I actually felt great. Ever since then I'm taking the supplements - Iron(Megafood brand), and sublingual b12 (Perque) every day. The fatigue and lethargy is for the last couple of months. I'm way overdue for my blood test. I was supposed to go back in February. I'm going to force myself to the doctor's office and just do it this week , I guess. Maybe I'm not absorbing the iron or b12 well.

Date: July 26, 2012 11:35AM

Good luck, littlemermaid smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables