Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Traveling Raw
Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:55AM

Do any of you travel frequently for work? What do you eat when you're on the road? My husband travels 4 days a week and I am looking for a variety of raw food that I can prepare for him which will travel well, is fairly compact, and will last in a cooler for days. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traveling Raw
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 24, 2012 03:50AM

I buy few varieties of raw crackers, and pack flaxseed (whole seeds in a pepper mill), nuts, pumpkin/sunflower seeds, carrots (lots), cabbage, tomatoes (lots), avocado, apples (lots), bananas, dates and dried figs. And some nice herbal tea. These are things that are easy to prepare (spread avocado on crackers, and munch the rest as it is), and they should be fine for a couple of days even without a cooler.

But if you have a cooler I would also take couple of soft cheeses/dips for the crackers, and stick some lettuce, broccoli and cucumber in there. I found the most important thing is to plan the meals: what you are going to eat day 1, 2 and so on, for main meals and snacks. You would then plan more sensitive ingredients for day 1 and 2 meals, and more lasting ingredients for meals towards the end of the trip. This way you can afford taking greater variety of food without risking stuff going off or ending up unused.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: July 24, 2012 05:21AM

Raw crackers? Where do you buy them chat? I once found a raw product called Flax Crax but have never seen it again. I can't find any raw crackers anywhere. I've looked at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods...maybe I'm missing them.

Date: July 24, 2012 06:00AM

I'm in UK and tend to buy crackers made by these people: [www.rawhealth.uk.com], they have a good variety including sweet crackers. I'm not sure but likely you can find something similar in US?

If not, they are not very difficult to make (and will be much cheaper toosmiling smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 06:02AM by chat.

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: July 24, 2012 01:19PM

Thanks for the great ideas, chat! When you say cheese I assume you mean the vegan cheeses that I've heard about. I've not tried to make them yet, but I'll look for recipes today.

I love the idea of raw crackers. I have a grain mill that I use to make bread for the kids and I'd love to use it to make raw crackers for myself & hubby. Do you have to have a dehydrator for crackers?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:41PM

Out of all the dehydrated products i like Gourmet Raws crisps the best. They aren't thick and heavy like most raw cracker products i have tried and use sprouted buckwheat so are lower in fat than the crackers made from just flax and other nuts/seeds. Spicy Thai is my favorite flavour.

There raw brownies are also great. Best raw brownie flavour is the carob orange in my opinion.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 02:42PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:17PM

Here's a good recipe for cheese and figs and crackers --

[www.rawmazing.com]

Bananas, grapes and blueberries are good travel fruits. Sprouts and baby arugula or baby spinach are good travel vegetables. Dried figs and dates are good travel dried fruit. Cashews and pecans are good travel nuts. Then take packages of the sweet and savory prepared snacks you can order online or get in Whole Foods and you're set. Take one of those handheld blenders with the beaker and make smoothies in your hotel room or anyplace there's an outlet. Use the wax paper bags, glass jars if you don't have to carry luggage much, or hard plastic containers for the food. Taking your own water is usually the worst problem because of the weight of the glass; you don't want to drink out of plastic bottles.

Date: August 06, 2012 04:09AM

Thanks chat for the website. Actually, I live in Canada though I happen to be in the USA this weekend because we have a civic holiday in the province of Ontario. By the way, congrats on the gold in women's cycling - track. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

And right now, I am travelling raw and it's really been rawesome and we don't even have a fridge in our hotel room. Doesn't matter. This is a great season to find lots of great produce at great prices. Muskmelons, green peppers, celery, cabbage, peaches, cherries, strawberries, apples, oranges, tangerines, carrots, bananas - no need for restaurants or to go hungry. It couldn't get much better.

Date: August 08, 2012 04:25AM

Thanks Raw4ever! You're right about it being a great season for travelling, pretty much means that even if you come unprepared there will be enough options around to choose from.

I like your nickname, IMO this is exactly how the approach to raw food should be: not for a month, or for a year, but for ever. This attitude means that you are still raw even if on occasions you may eat a proportion of cooked food, such as for example when a friend invites you to dinner, or when travelling.

Posted by: RAllen ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:17PM

There is fresh produce available just about everywhere I have been in the USA.

Date: August 11, 2012 06:33AM

Thanks chat. I think it's good for me to see myself as Raw4ever. As those of us who do it well know, it's a lifestyle, not a diet. For me, there is nothing better,

As for eating a bit of cooked food in certain situations, I've been able to find enough that I haven't needed to but in my reading last week, I really liked a thought made by Carol Alt who essentially said, if you eat some cooked food - don't fret. Relax, enjoy the meal, pop a few digestive enzymes and get on with your life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables