Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hypoglycemia and Raw Foods
Posted by: Jeanie50 ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:40PM

Hi - I'm new to this site. I was attempting to go raw when an old problem reared it's ugly head -= I have reactive hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. I really do not want to eat meat and dairy 6 times a day as recommended by a dietician. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go raw while maintaining even blood sugar levels?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypoglycemia and Raw Foods
Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: August 06, 2012 10:27PM

Hi Jeanie50 and welcome. smiling smiley I would think you could find lots of fresh raw foods to eat that wouldn't raise your blood sugar levels very much. Greens, salads, sprouts, spinach, nuts, kale, most of the squash family, avocados all come to mind right off hand. Oh, and broccoli and onions too. As long as the glycemic load isn't very high, it should not spike your sugar too much.

You can find the glycemic load of the raw food you want to eat online at
[nutritiondata.self.com]

There's even quite a bit of fruit that has a low GL like watermelon, pears, lemons and apples. Perhaps you could ask your Doc what your total GL should be for a meal and then you can prepare meals within that range.

I'm sure others on this board will offer much more detailed advise... many of the contributors here are brilliant! smiling smiley Oh, tomatoes and eggplant too - YUM!

Best of luck on your raw journey!

Posted by: jayelle ()
Date: August 06, 2012 10:27PM

I don't know much about it hypoglycemia and raw but I do know that people who have hypoglycemia and even diabetes can eat raw and be very healthy (even to the point of having no more blood sugar issues at all!).

I suggest doing an internet search. There has to be information out there and possibly even a few books on how to do it healthfully.

Just out of curiosity, did the dietician give you a reason for needing to eat so much meat and dairy? It surprises me because anyone who knows about nutrition would know that's a highly unhealthy amount of meat! I do know that a lot of people use nuts to replace things in meat such as protein and dark greens to replace iron. There is probably something that could replace the cause of the need for animal products.

*hugs and blessings*
Jayelle

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 07, 2012 08:50AM

They probably recommended the meat and dairy due to the protein content, many with diabetes and hypoglycemia find consuming a little protein and fats with meals slows down the absorption of carbohydrates.

So yeah consume a little protein and fats with each meal.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 07, 2012 08:59AM

Most Doctors and Nutritionists are totally clueless!!!

“In medical school my classmates and I learned from a researcher that animal protein places a detoxification stress on the liver and that the nitrogenous wastes generated are toxic. These metabolic toxins (about fourteen of them) rise in the bloodstream and accompany the rise in uric acid after a meal rich in animal protein. Withdrawal from these toxins can cause uncomfortable symptoms in susceptible individuals, symptoms that many call hypoglycemia.” Joel Fuhrman, “Eat To Live” p. 166

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 07, 2012 02:26PM

I can't agree with Furhman here, hypoglycemia is hypoglycemia if diagnosed, many symptoms can be confused as the symptoms of hypoglycemia but REAL hypoglycemia has nothing to do with toxins or uric acid found in meat.

It also depends on the form of hypoglycemia also is it chronic hypoglycmeia which is largely caused by dysfunctional adrenal glands or acute/reactive hypoglycemia which is largely a result of magnesium and chromium deficiencies which cause insulin resistance.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 02:30PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: RAllen ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:21PM

I had hypoglycemia and was borderline diabetic eating a high starch, high complex carbohydrate diet of mostly refined grains. It was a low-meat and low-dairy version of the SAD. Eliminating all refined grains and sugar helped me. Now I eat mostly raw, unprocessed fruit (over 90% of calories) and I have no blood sugar issues. Fruit does not metabolize the same as complex carbs, starches, etc. as long as it is eaten in its whole state (i.e. if it us dehydrated it is not a whole food, as the water has been removed).

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:49PM

Raw Curious--sure about the watermelon being low gycemic? That would be a new one on me. I do agree with RAllen about getting off SAD being the answer. I wonder how much fat the OP was consuming. Maybe add avocado and coconut to the diet (if you haven't already) and see if that helps the situation?

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:27PM

Hi BW - yes I think so. I am speaking of glycemic load which is, as I understand it, a measure of how much a specific amount of a certain food will affect blood sugar. 1 cup of watermelon has a GL of 4 whereas a slice of whole wheat bread has a GL of 10. Obviously some one with insulin resistance wouldn't want to eat the entire watermelon. But a couple cups should be okay. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables