Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dodgy nutritional data
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: September 01, 2012 02:09PM

I was messing about on Cronometer last night checking out how I fared with nutrients, and it looked like I was a bit short on calcium and zinc (usual suspects) so I was checking out what foods were rich in calcium. The top site that came up on Google gave the usual spiel, saying that 'milk and dairy products are calcium powerhouses - listing an 8oz glass as containing 300mg. On scrolling down I got to the 'lowly' plant foods.. collard greens were listed as having 200mg per half a cup. Figs also came in at 200mg - for 2 figs.

Now, at first I just accepted this info, and didn't give it much thought. But then it struck me how unfair this data is. how come Milk gets to be a big ol' 8oz glass, whereas collard greens only get a miserly 1/2 a cup?? If they'd have even given the measurements for 1 cup, collards would have then come up top of the league table with 400mg. And just 3 figs would give you as much calcium as a glass of milk.

Interesting how data can be presented in ways to make you think the way they want you to think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dodgy nutritional data
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 01, 2012 05:28PM

lisa,

These charts aren't devised for vegetarians, so I am always mindful that I eat way larger volumes of plant foods than the measly 1/2 cup servings that pass--ridiculously--as one of one's recommended "5-a-Day."

On the Internets, you gotta jog through a lot of dross to get to useful matter winking smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 01, 2012 06:10PM

Milk isn't even that great a source of calcium due to the proteins effecting absorption. Infact milk is one of the biggest contributors to bone loss, this is why they add vitamin D to milk.

Overall Milk isn't that great a source of calcium. 2 herbal sources i like are nettle and oat straw.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 01, 2012 06:23PM

I guess its proportional to the average diet. Most people would have no problem drinking a glass of milk, but many struggle to add a cup of greens to their diet daily.

I guess that says more about the standard average diet than anything else.

Zinc is a problematic nutrient on a vegan diet, i must admit i do supplement to squash those fears. A raw vegan diet is far to rich in Copper in relation to the Zinc intake. As said in the other thread, Copper toxicity is awful speaking from experience, it ruined my health and my mind. This could be one of the reasons why males on a raw food diet often become emaciated long term.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2012 06:32PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: September 02, 2012 08:48PM

Hi Tamukha, yes you're right about the dross! that's why I come here to get some sense winking smiley

Thanks Powerlifer, interesting info, never knew that about copper.. it's so hard to get it all right!

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 02, 2012 10:43PM

Just what would happen to the dairy industry if people were told the truth about calcium, or they didn't manipulate the data as you've said LisaM? Anyway, it's extremely difficult to have a calcium deficiency. In fact, as far as I know, there's never been a legit case of calcium deficiency.

People, especially the elderly are told they may not be getting enough according to the RDA, so they take supplements, as well as more cheese and yoghurt etc. So what happens? The risk of becoming obese and the associated diseases. Moreover, excess calcium will cause kidney stones, something that no-one wants.

I'm afraid that eople are driven by FEAR.

jalan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 03, 2012 03:28AM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zinc is a problematic nutrient on a vegan diet, i
> must admit i do supplement to squash those fears.
> A raw vegan diet is far to rich in Copper in
> relation to the Zinc intake. As said in the other
> thread, Copper toxicity is awful speaking from
> experience, it ruined my health and my mind. This
> could be one of the reasons why males on a raw
> food diet often become emaciated long term.

This is true about zinc, the imbalance with cooper is so obvious that zinc supplementation is a straightforward thing on a raw vegan diet. At the same time you will not normally learn this when googling general nutrition - because general nutrition is looked at from a viewpoint of a standard diet. The same is with milk and calcium, as Tamukha says.

I do supplement calcium, very moderately though but regularly. Not sure about bones, but from experience the first thing to pop up when not receiving enough calcium is weakened teeth enamel.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 03:33AM by chat.

Date: September 03, 2012 10:40AM

I believe initially woman can benefit from a slightly higher Copper intake but long term it is still of similar risk as it is to males. Infact woman have been shown to retain Copper more easily than men.

It is definitley something to be aware of and isn't relatively mainstream knowledge which is a shame as modern medicine still considers Copper/Heavy Metal Toxicity rare. I would beg to differ on that and personally feel that heavy metal toxicity is severely under-diagnosed especially when it comes to its role in mental health disorders. Its funny because heavy metals are rarely ever tested for by a GP so no wonder little incidences of it come up. Quite a fair bit of research has shown different biochemical mineral imbalances including low Zinc/high Copper in individuals with schizophrenia and other mental health disorders.

Once Copper has accumulated it is very, very difficult to get rid of and can cause many chronic health problems such as adrenal fatigue, anxiety/panic attacks and other horrible symptoms. Copper is a very stimulating element to the nervous system.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 10:45AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 03, 2012 02:16PM

I suppose that is why there is such an emphasis on dairy. Its in so much stuff. I was looking for a snack in the freezer section last night, and so much had dairy in some form. Perhaps they think that is how people are getting calcium, otherwise maybe most people might get zero. But this might also be because of the belief in dairy. so what follows what? So I just bought some nuts, avoiding dairy and sugar. But I really wanted something cold and a little sweet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables