Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lets talk NUTMILK
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:05PM

Anyone know how much nutrients are extracted when you make nutmilk? Lets say I blend 200g of almonds and sieve out the pulp, How many calories does that make? I've tried researching this elswhere but had minimal findings. Also are all nutrients/fatty acids successfully removed from the pulp? I wonder if its just better to drink the blend as it is without sieving the pulp just to ensure you get all that nutrition.

When I make hempseed milk I usually just drink the milk without sieving the pulp, I really want as much protein and omega acids as I can get.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lets talk NUTMILK
Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:32PM

I guess this has nothing to do with nut milks - something I have never made but I just finished making some almond butter with my food processor using the S blade. It took about 15 minutes and I am assured of all nutrients being relatively present though I did notice that I need to shut the processor off because the friction causes an increase in temperature - not sure if it exceeds the 118 F. limit though. I also made raw tahini and for some reason, perhaps because the seeds are smaller, there was less heat produced.

But, this is an aside and the discusssion is nut milks - something I'd like to know more about so I'll stay tuned and wait to read comments from those in the know.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 08, 2012 01:35AM

That's a good idea to make almond butter and then maybe blend up the milk fresh after measuring out the butter. Almond butter has about 90 calories per T.

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: September 08, 2012 07:54AM

Well that's an interesting twist to making almond milk (and maybe that's a bit of a pun if you use cheesecloth) but if you do try doing that, I'd be interested to know how it works out.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 08, 2012 10:45AM

There doesn't seem to be a data on this yet, i suspect because of the variables involved in making the milk (the amount of water, the blending process, etc).

I usually take into account nutrients of almonds, simply. I would never throw away the pulp, which I normally add later in the day to a tabouleh or salad. So even though I've made a milk, in the end I consumed the same almonds, so making the milk makes no difference.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables