Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Figs season
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: September 01, 2012 09:52PM

I just picked a box of fresh figs at Costco. They are from california. Really good stuff. I am planing to load up in my next visit. keep an eye open and don't let them scape.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Figs season
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 01, 2012 10:01PM

escape.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 04, 2012 05:57PM

I have been eating figs for quite a while now. We got our first batch a couple of months ago, if I am not mistaken. Whole Foods sells organic containers (those green small plastic ones) for $3, which I consider a good deal.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 05, 2012 02:17AM

I'm in a second floor apartment that has a fig tree outside a window, putting the top of the tree within arm's reach. WOOT!!!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: September 05, 2012 11:47AM

Trive. That must be a huge tree. I do have a small fig tree but it only gives a few and small figs. I do have tons of grapes from a very old vine.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 05, 2012 04:13PM

Trive, I am glaring in envy in your general direction. smiling smiley

Here's a brand new project "cropping" up from a fellow I saw in a recent Arnold's Way video; he wishes to be a fig tree Johnny Appleseed:

[docs.google.com]

Good luck to him, I say, and whaaaaaaaaa that I cannot help here in the Upper Midwest!

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: September 05, 2012 07:49PM

I wish I liked them. Try as I may, I just can't seem to get use to the flavour and the seeds. And they're sooooooooooooooo good for you. But those seeds! I guess I will just keep trying and see if I can acquire the taste.

Date: September 05, 2012 11:28PM

Raw4ever, what about the seeds is off-putting? As far as seeds go, they are much smaller than raspberries, for instance. Have you ever had fresh ones? I am not crazy about dried figs myself.

Date: September 07, 2012 08:07AM

Banana who, it's true - the seeds in so many fruits are every bit as prevalent. In part, it's the flavour too because I'm not nuts about it either.

Yes, I have had fresh figs. I have tried them growing wild in northern California and my mother's family are Italians. Fig trees are one of their prize possessions in their yards. I grew up being strongly encouraged to eat them and for as much as I have disliked them, my mother likes nothing more but I really have a hard time stomaching them.

But, But, BUT!!

When a person is totally raw, their tastes change and they come to enjoy things they may previously have had little attraction to and so I am going to give it another go again in the not-too-distant future. I had a hard time with durian but I'd jump at the opportunity to have some again, if they weren't so expensive - I paid $42 for the last one. Of course, that's what made me eat it. No way was I going to throw that out!!

Date: September 08, 2012 11:49PM

$42 for a durian?

Date: September 09, 2012 02:48AM

Yes! $42. $6 a pound.

I bought it in Toronto. It could have been gotten frozen for $2/lb. but it isn't nearly as good and it actually was for someone who was visiting me from southeast Asia. They ate some (no one else wanted more than a taste). My guest continued on their journey and so I ate the rest. It was a strange experience because I have not liked durian in the past.

The first time I ate durian, I was nauseous but I don't just give in because I don't like something. The last time, I found myself having a bite and in minutes, I was back for more. To say I liked it, I can't but neither can I say I disliked it. It held me in suspense.

I ate it all!

Date: September 09, 2012 04:08AM

Perfect definition. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. But I also wasn't neutral about it. My boyfriend really liked it. Funny, I was charged $9 or 11 last time and I refused to pay. I was freaked out when the lady said the price. I had paid much less before (Chicago's Chinatown shop). I guess it depends upon the season or availability. The time I actually bought one I think I paid about $5-7.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables