Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tasted jackfruit over the weekend! smiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 01, 2012 06:11PM

[en.wikipedia.org]

I thought it was breadfruit and it turns out to be in the same (mulberry) family. My boyfriend said it reminded him of durian and I agree. Even the exterior looks a bit similar. The inside has pods like durian although I don't know jackfruit has any plant fat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tasted jackfruit over the weekend! smiling smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 01, 2012 07:52PM

hah cool i just had breadfruit last week for the first time was interesting smiling smiley probably wouldnt buy it again as i had to cook it from everything i read on the internet and it wasnt something that i went OMG i HAVE to have this again smiling smiley

but its always fun to try new things as they show up in the supermarket grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 01, 2012 10:52PM

Jodi, my mom's from the Caribbean and we've had breadfruit. Never cared for it (although I love tubers like yautia, which I buy here from Costa Rica).

This fruit is from South East Asia, which makes sense since I happened to be in a Vietnamese 'hood to buy some young coconuts. They cost me $1.89 a piece, compared to $2.99 at Whole Foods. However, they used to be only $1.50. So they've gone up a bit.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 02, 2012 01:10AM

To me durian and jackfruit taste very different, although there might be a slight similarity in a tropical flavor that exists in both. Both fruits have a certain feel-good aspect to them, that is, after consuming it, I feel in a good mood. This is more true of durian, at it took me a while to discover this property of jackfruit. But is hard to beat the creaminess (fat content) of durian, so in that regard jackfruit is less filling than durian.

Date: October 02, 2012 02:07AM

Prana, my bf said it made him feel good, too! I was wondering if it had tryptophan like durian has...So far I haven't found any evidence of that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables