Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

recipes for flax seeds
Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: July 26, 2007 11:46AM

Hi everyone!

I live in the Netherlands and I recently found out that I can buy flax seeds in the organic store near my house! They are called Lijzaad in Dutch and I have been for a long time wondering what they were. I googled it finally today to find out that they are flax seeds! I am going back to store tomorrow and buy them! They don't have flaxseed oil though...

I don't have a dehydrator so can't make flax seed crackers.

Does anyone have nice flaxseed recipes?

Thank you in advance!

gadjoemi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recipes for flax seeds
Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 26, 2007 12:24PM

Hi gadjoemi, I live in the Netherlands as well. I live in Amsterdam, where are you?
Amsterdam has a great organic market on Saturday, maybe you already know it. It's called the Boerenmarkt and it's in the Jordaan. There is a wheatgrass stall on this market, run by a girl called Diana Store. She sells wheatgrass juice, raw cakes and superfoods and also hemp seeds and hemp oil and lots of other stuff for raw people. Her website is [rawsuperfoods.com] I am pretty sure you can get flaxseed oil in the healthfood shop. Have a look on the recipe section on this and other raw boards for flaxseed crackers. Amsterdam also has raw chocolate parties with a raw dinner and a party with a DJ. Lots of nice people smiling smiley

Francis

Date: July 26, 2007 07:43PM

Francis,

Thank you for your info! I live in Maastricht so I don't go up to Amsterdam so often. I wish I lived there! Where can I get the info about the raw chocolate parties in Amsterdam? Would love to join someday...!

I have found hemp seed oil in the organic store but not flaxseed oil yet. But then again now I know what flaxseed is called in Dutch (I am Japanese living in Maastricht for 1 year) so I will look into it tomorrow.

It is sooo great to know that there are some raw movements in this country too! Let's get in touch!

Thank you so much!

groetjes
gadjoemi

Posted by: mamadeb ()
Date: July 26, 2007 09:41PM

Hi Gadjoemi! I like grinding flaxseeds and eating them over or/as cereal....I'm working towards Raw, so I do still have milk, soy or nut and grains...You can grind them and have them with some nut milk and a dash of Agave...........or mix them in salads too! Deb {in Michigan!}

Date: July 27, 2007 06:32AM

Hi Deb, thank you for your message!
This morning, I made walnut milk for my boyfriend for breakfast for the first time! I put frozen banana, blue berries and strawberries and named it Very Berry Connection smoothie and he loved it! I think I would love to try milk out of flax!

Now, flaxseed, I think I should soak them overnight?? Oh should I sprout them (meaning that I have to soak them longer than over night and wash them several times?) I am still very new to this nut "process" thing so have always questions.

Francis,
I think I am going to the organic market tomorrow! I am going up to Utrecht to take yoga lesson in the morning and after than I am just taking a train to Amsterdam. Can't wait. So excited!

Thanks guys!

Warm regards
gadjoemi

Date: July 27, 2007 11:44AM

Hi Gadjoemi,

I'm not sure if Diana will be at the market with her stall tomorrow because she's going to Hungary for two weeks. I just sent her an email to find out for you. I will leave a message here for you tonight to let you know.

I'm in England till the end of August and the next chocolate party will be in the beginning of September. If you send me your email address I will let you know exactly when. Or you could have a look on [www.chocolateclub.nl] for more info. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Francis

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 27, 2007 12:57PM

Gadjoemi...you can't sprout flax seeds, but you can soak them overnight if you're going to make them into a cracker or something. When they hit water, they release this gel-like stuff that makes them very gooey. I use a spice grinder / coffee bean grinder that I picked up at Wal-Mart (around $20 bucks) and grind the flax into powder. Then I sprinkle it on or in whatever. The thing about flax seeds, if they're not ground, is they usually come out of your system the same way they went in...whole (if you get what I mean without being too graphic smiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2007 01:02PM

Hi Francis,

Thank! I will be in the North tomorrow anyway and would love to go to the organic market so I will go. Do you know how late the market is open? Do I need to take a tram from the central station?

Will let you know my email address but don't know what's the safest way though..

Anyways, thank you so much! I love this forum. My flaxseed talk has emerged into something so much more precious!

gadjoemi

Date: July 27, 2007 03:43PM

Dear islandgirl,

Yap, I see the picture of the flaxseed coming out of my system as they are ;-)
Thanks for your tips! (Same as sesame seed, I think.)

So, if I soak them, should I dump the water I used for soaking? Or that gooey stuff is good for the body or something?

So many wonders about seeds...

Gadjoemi

Date: July 27, 2007 07:00PM

Hi Gadjoemi,

The Boerenmarkt is at the Noordermarkt in Amsterdam at the junction of Westerstraat and Prinsengracht, Saturdays 9:00 - 16:00. I just heard from Diana and she will be there tomorrow. You'll find her stall quite easily, it's the one with all the wheatgrass trays. You can tell her I sent you and ask her where to get young coconuts and durian if you like them. They're sold quite close by in a Chinese shop.The vegetables on this market are really nice and fresh and mostly cheaper than the Natuurwinkel. There is also a stall selling fresh raw seaweed, vegetarian sushi (not raw) and seaweed pate (not raw). And there is a stall selling a good selection of raw nuts, seeds, dried fruit and flaxseed and most of the grains and peas and stuff there will sprout, although they might be closed for the summer holidays.

As for the email address I know you can send a private message on this board but I haven't figured out how to do this yet. I will definitely be at the next chocolate party so we could always meet there.

Groetjes, Francis

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 27, 2007 07:05PM

where it says Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Reply via PM•Follow This Thread•Report This Message

click the one that says reply via PM smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 27, 2007 07:08PM

Thanks Jodi, you're such a mine of information smiling smiley

Gadjoemi, I forgot to tell you that it's a 10 minute walk from Centraal Station to the market.
Have a nice day tomorrow.

Francis

Date: July 28, 2007 06:16AM

Thank you!
I am going today!

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 28, 2007 01:39PM

i soak 1-2 tablespoons of flax seeds and add them to my smoothies

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 28, 2007 06:21PM

gadjoemi...when I make flax seed crackers, I soak Ic of flax seeds in 1 cup of water overnight. Most of the water is absorbed. Put the whole mixture into the food processor with 1 clove of garlic, 1-2 TB of lemon juice, 1 TB of Braggs. Mix. It will be a goopy mix...a bit difficult to spread, but then I dehydrate it at 105 for about 8- 10 hours, flip and dehydrate another 8-10 hours to desired crispness. I have an excalibur and this makes one tray of crackers, but I usually double it and make a double batch.

Date: July 30, 2007 11:50AM

Hi rosemary and islandgirl,
Thanks for your tips! I don't have a dehydrator so can not make crackers but knowing how to use flaxseed helps me create more raw recipes!

Francis,
Went to the organic market and met Diana! I didn't have a chance to chat with her a lot because she seemed to be busy with lots of customers ( good thing!) but I really enjoyed just being there. Lots of nice fresh fruit and veggies all organic! That NEVER happen in Maastricht. I just loved it!

Looking forward to the chocolate party in Sep, if I can make it!

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 31, 2007 04:30AM

gadjoemi
you don`t need a dehydrator. You can use your oven on a low temperature with the door open. I read about raw foodists who do that and it turns out fine.
Flax crackers taste wonderful smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2007 11:00AM

gadjoemi, I sent you a private message.

Francis

Posted by: raw superfoods ()
Date: October 08, 2012 06:12AM

It is sooo great to know that there are some raw movements in this country too! Let's get in touch! Website is [http://www.radiantrawsuperfoods.com/] We carry the highest quality raw foods and superfoods at the lowest prices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables