Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Your Workout
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 14, 2012 08:52PM

Hi All

What is your exercise regimen? I am doing yoga about 5 times a week, and cardio 3 times. However, I am considering a strength training ( weight lifiting class)

Did you notice eating raw helped with your exercise?

TY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your Workout
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 14, 2012 09:36PM

I found a huge difference with yoga once I went raw - my flexibility increased almost immediately. Can't speak much about the other forms of exercise cos I don't do them enough.. always mean to though :/ Brian Clements strongly recommends a lot of strength training for healthy bones, I keep meaning to do more but I don't like gyms much..I got the 90 second workout, quite like that cos it doens't take much time smiling smiley [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 14, 2012 09:43PM

LOL I tried to list this the other day on another site. It's averages:

Walking - 30 min. to 2 hours per day
Running - 20-45 min 5 times a week
Stepping - 20-30 min. 5 times a week
Elliptical - 20 min. 2 times a week
Bike - 30 min. 4 times a week
Heavy lifting/thighs/calfs/buttocks - 2 times a week
Circuit training with light weights/high reps, plus abs - 2 times a week (50 min.)
Power yoga - 5 times a week (75 min. class)

Maybe I will reduce it if I get sexually active again ever. lol! Or not want to buy so much food. :p

Date: October 14, 2012 09:44PM

Being raw and grain-free has literally changed my life as far as running. I used to only be able to go about 30 min. I was running hour-long jogs earlier this summer with no knee pain or inflammation problems. smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 15, 2012 08:29AM

I found raw a huge hinderance to my athletic performance and that even eating astronomical amounts of raw food, i wasn't repairing sufficiently from intense strength training. Id have DOM's for nearly full weeks compared to the typical one day id get before going raw.

I find people on raw tend to do better with endurance sports, you won't find many successful raw weight lifters, purely because many find it too hard to eat the volume of food required, its hard enough trying to consume enough nutrient dense food let alone raw.

I do thai boxing(muay thai) classes these days with some strength training and other athletic drills now and again.

Well done UL, i have also found that going grain free/gluten has been a big boost to my energy levels.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 08:34AM by powerlifer.

Date: October 15, 2012 02:15PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Well done UL, i have also found that going grain
> free/gluten has been a big boost to my energy
> levels.
---
yay! thanks. smiling smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 15, 2012 03:55PM

Intensity, not time, is the trick. Time spent does not really tell much. You would. Some people spend half the day in the gym and don't improve at all.

4 days a week, 40-50 mins, high intensity swimming.
5 days a week, 50 mins, super low intensity walking.
4 days a week, 5-10 mins, super high intensity elliptical machine.
3 days a week, 20 mins, weight training.

other mickey mouse things like dancing 4 hours, 2 days a week.

With a healthier body and food, you should see a performance increase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 03:58PM by Panchito.

Date: October 16, 2012 09:33PM

Inbox is full again! Hahaha smiling smiley

I cut and pasted my msg, so I'll just send it later.

Also wanted to add taht I do 1-2 rest days/week, with just walking.

Date: October 17, 2012 01:05AM

Yikes, I will fix it thanks..

We need to talk, I def think part of my problem is that I am not working out all the extra carbs.. I need to exercise more if I am going to eat all these carbssmiling smiley

Someone needs to explain to me why I am so mean right now since I cut out animal protein? I am angry.

Date: October 17, 2012 01:43AM

michelemm Wrote:

> Someone needs to explain to me why I am so mean
> right now since I cut out animal protein? I am
> angry.

---
I don't remember becoming angry from going vegan. LOL ?
You said it's day 4 now? I think emotions, when going raw, do vary from sadness, anger, happiness, but probably just the first 2 weeks or so. Also depends on how high raw you are.

Date: October 17, 2012 01:53AM

yes, day four... seems like the cravings should be going away but they are getting worse. The more fruit I eat, the worse i feel and become irritable.sad smiley

Guess it is back to just vegetables for now, however, then I am really depleting my caloric intake if I dont have fruit.

Probably putting too much energy into this, perhaps I need to relax and just go with the flow.. hard to do when I am so stubborn and want to control everything in my life. sad smiley

The gym helps

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 17, 2012 03:07AM

I don't exercise that much. My diet and genetics bring me plenty of health. I do work hard on the farm and have an advanced hatha yoga practice. I walk and ride my bike places. Occasional weightlifting is good to keep up the testosterone levels. I do have a lot of sex. My preference is for that and mental exercise, but I do like to use my body. Having had a successful jock career in my youth has left me with little to prove in that way.

What do they call it in TCM? Jing? Yes, I want to preserve my jing.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 17, 2012 03:08PM

michelemm, try eating some soaked nuts that always worked really well for me. Eat some nuts then your favorite veggie right after. Don't kill yourself with all this. You could eat some grains also, millet, quonia, amaranth, teff. Sounds like you are dealing with some Yeast issues also. Also If you are too alkaline you could also feel like crapola. You could even eat some oatmeal if you don't have issues with such grains. It's not optimum but it will give you energy and get you by. You could put some fatty acids in it also. Find somthing you like that will help with yeast if you feel you have such issues, it's unbelievably common amoung women.

Date: October 17, 2012 03:12PM

HH Wrote:
> What do they call it in TCM? Jing? Yes, I want to
> preserve my jing.

Yeah i have been researching this for a few years now and there is definitley something to preserving your Jing. What the TCM defines as Jing i would relate to as good adrenal energy reserves.

This is what gives an individual vitality and stamina, especially in relation to sexual energy. The more reading i do, seems to suggest reducing fluid loss for males if you catch my drift lol. I have had good benefits from this in relation to health.

I must check more into yoga and meditation, the small amount of expiramenting i have done with meditation has been amazing for increasing well being. Free too smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 03:13PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 17, 2012 04:07PM

This might be useful to you. Ujayyi breathing: [www.youtube.com]

I'm curious, have you learned any martial arts or healing techniques from the east? Do you have any experience with Japanese reiki? Any opinions on it?

powerlifer Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What do they call it in TCM? Jing? Yes, I want
> to
> > preserve my jing.
>
> Yeah i have been researching this for a few years
> now and there is definitley something to
> preserving your Jing. What the TCM defines as Jing
> i would relate to as good adrenal energy reserves.
>
>
> This is what gives an individual vitality and
> stamina, especially in relation to sexual energy.
> The more reading i do, seems to suggest reducing
> fluid loss for males if you catch my drift lol. I
> have had good benefits from this in relation to
> health.
>
> I must check more into yoga and meditation, the
> small amount of expiramenting i have done with
> meditation has been amazing for increasing well
> being. Free too smiling smiley.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 17, 2012 04:13PM

HH Wrote:
> This might be useful to you. Ujayyi breathing:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> I'm curious, have you learned any martial arts or
> healing techniques from the east? Do you have any
> experience with Japanese reiki? Any opinions on
> it?

This is what im looking for many thanks, i like these guided meditations videos. I have been trying alot of deep sympathetic breathing recently. It takes abit of getting the hang of and i often do it wrong. But when you do it right, it completely shuts off the sympathetic nervous system which is amazing, as healing is only done with autonomic nervous system balance.

I have studied quite a few martial arts, my favorite is muay thai though, mixed with a little brazilian ju-jitsu for ground/grappling work. Basically MMA i guess, i have studied quite a few traditional martial arts and have to agree with Bruce Lee(who was miles ahead of his time in regards to philosophy) that we are often too steeped and bound by tradition. Many of the traditional martial artists i know still don't stretch the correct and safer ways such as dynamic stretching. They often recommend static stretching cold and unwarmed up muscles, which just pre-disposes you to injury.

Ive never really looked into reiki, so i can't help there sorry. Ive heard some good and bad things but without having researched it, i couldn't comment. I know a friend who has had great results with Quantum touch, again something ive not really researched yet.

Ever studied any martial arts yourself Eric? or interested in them.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 04:23PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 21, 2012 11:30PM

I definitely need cardio and feel little better with mixing up my workout, now if I could only solify my eating habits then I am good to go for a little while.

I have never tried martial arts, but I recommend yoga and meditation to EVERYONE. It absolutely helps with inner well being.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 22, 2012 01:39PM

For cardio, try a bit of shuffling! Look on youtube for a tuition video, it's loads of fun, and is totally exhausting, haha!

I go to a 1950s 'jump n jive' dance class too, it's really great, plus the body coordination you have to learn really exercises your brain too winking smiley

I love to find exercise that doesn't feel like exercise - fun stuff I can do outdoors or around the house, so I don't need to go to a gym. Hula hooping is great. Or just putting on your fave music and jumping around like a lunatic. I really want to get a rebounder, they're fantastic. Think I'll put it on my Christmas list smiling smiley

I like aerial yoga too, again, lots of fun swinging about like a bunch of monkeys.

Date: October 22, 2012 01:48PM

lisa m Wrote:
Or just putting on your fave
> music and jumping around like a lunatic.

-------
sounds good to me! *dance like no one's watching!* or if they are, make sure they're laughign!

Date: October 22, 2012 01:52PM

Rebounders are great Lisa and don't really feel like exercise to me. Id like to get a good rebounder rather than the nike or is it puma one i have at the moment. It doesn't allow much bounce and really tightens my legs something terrible. If you have the money get a good quality rebounder as ive went right through 2 of the above already.

Rebounding is really good for getting the lymphatic system moving also. It is the one thing that helped my severe vertigo problems the most, it must have moved the fluid in my ear drum or something.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2012 01:53PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 22, 2012 06:42PM

I've done tai-chi Chris. Speaking of rebounders, I just got a Jumpsport a couple weeks ago. It's definitely worth it to spend the extra money for a good one. Beyond the attributes you mentioned, I find that rebounding is also a great core exercise when done properly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables