Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brain Chemistry
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 14, 2012 06:36PM

So, I am studying neuroscience and curious if people have experienced a difference in memory, cognition or improvement in academics from transitioning to a raw food diet versus vegetarian or even more so, pescatarian?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brain Chemistry
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 14, 2012 09:18PM

I didn't even eat sealife as an omnivore. My memory is about the same, I'd say.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:32AM

I would have some brain fog on the SAD diet, and that doesn't happen anymore. Back in those days, I would use coffee to compensate. Nowadays, I feel like I am at an equivalent cognitive ability that I would have under coffee, though I won't have that kind of stamina that coffee would give.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:40PM

michelemm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I am studying neuroscience

Did you ever run into the Batman Shooter?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:53PM

Not from raw or any diet really. I have had improved cognitive function and memory with the use of many herbs though such as gotu kola, gingko biloba and periwinkle.

Periwinkle is the best herb overall for increasing circulation to the brain and improving memory. It must be combined with a moisture retaining herb though as it can dry out the intestines.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 04:53PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 15, 2012 05:18PM

Can you recommend a moisture retaining herb?

powerlifer Wrote:
> Not from raw or any diet really. I have had
> improved cognitive function and memory with the
> use of many herbs though such as gotu kola, gingko
> biloba and periwinkle.
>
> Periwinkle is the best herb overall for increasing
> circulation to the brain and improving memory. It
> must be combined with a moisture retaining herb
> though as it can dry out the intestines.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 15, 2012 05:30PM

It's hard for me to say because when I dropped SAD I also quit a pretty long list of other things like cigs, weed, booze, excessive orgasm, caffeine, etc. I believe that my brain is more energetic since that transition, but I did manage to get 2 advanced degrees while seriously stimulated/anesthetized. I'm afraid that I'm not a very good subject due to my sordid past. smiling smiley

Very cool that you're studying neuroscience by the way.

michelemm Wrote:
> So, I am studying neuroscience and curious if
> people have experienced a difference in memory,
> cognition or improvement in academics from
> transitioning to a raw food diet versus vegetarian
> or even more so, pescatarian?
>
> Thanks!

Date: October 15, 2012 05:39PM

Kelp or Yucca Root, both will retain moisture in the digestive tract, which is part of why they both help support gut flora growth.

Periwinkle is stronger than Gingko Biloba for increasing circulation to the brain and improving memory.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

HH Wrote:
> Can you recommend a moisture retaining herb?
>
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not from raw or any diet really. I have had
> > improved cognitive function and memory with the
> > use of many herbs though such as gotu kola,
> gingko
> > biloba and periwinkle.
> >
> > Periwinkle is the best herb overall for
> increasing
> > circulation to the brain and improving memory.
> It
> > must be combined with a moisture retaining herb
> > though as it can dry out the intestines.
> >
> > [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 15, 2012 06:54PM

Caffeine, weed, booze and excessive orgasms are four factors that really weaken parasympathetic nervous system function and stress the adrenal glands, also tend to make us prone to sympathetic nervous system dominance.

Deep slow breathing is good for shutting off the sympathetic nervous system. In fact meditation is amazing and another tool that has helped increase my well being.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

HH Wrote:
> It's hard for me to say because when I dropped SAD
> I also quit a pretty long list of other things
> like cigs, weed, booze, excessive orgasm,
> caffeine, etc. I believe that my brain is more
> energetic since that transition, but I did manage
> to get 2 advanced degrees while seriously
> stimulated/anesthetized. I'm afraid that I'm not a
> very good subject due to my sordid past. smiling smiley
>
> Very cool that you're studying neuroscience by the
> way.
>
> michelemm Wrote:
> -----
> > So, I am studying neuroscience and curious if
> > people have experienced a difference in memory,
> > cognition or improvement in academics from
> > transitioning to a raw food diet versus
> vegetarian
> > or even more so, pescatarian?
> >
> > Thanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 06:56PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 15, 2012 08:03PM

<<<Periwinkle is stronger than Gingko Biloba for increasing circulation to the brain and improving memory.>>>

Try adding some Cayenne and see what happens!

This is what Professor Cayenne has to say about increasing circulation to the brain…

You can take all the milk thistle you want, but if you have bad circulation to your liver, it's not going to do you any good. You can take all the ginkgo you want, but if you have bad circulation to your brain, the ginkgo is not going to be able to get up there either.

Cayenne turns your circulation on immediately within seconds, more than any other herb, so really it should be in every herbal formula.

You know, a lot of people look at my brain tonic, and they go, "Well, it's hot." That's because, if you want ginkgo in your brain, well, sit back for three hours and wait. Or, I can get ginkgo into your brain in one second - and that's why I added cayenne to the formula. [Editor This formula is given in Chapter Five.

"Ginkgo changes from a so-so herb to a mighty herb when you add strong hot cayenne to it."

BISER: How is ginkgo different with cayenne in it?

SCHULZE: I used ginkgo in my clinic and the results with just ginkgo alone were kind of like, "oh hum." I had one guy with tinnitus who said he felt better and the tinnitus went away. I had some people that noticed some better memory; some were not quite as depressed - and it worked a little.

But it wasn't a super herb, and I wanted it to be a super herb. I was sitting around one day and I thought, "Well, I could put ginkgo in my mouth and chew on the leaves. I can drink an ounce of the ginkgo tincture and I don't see my face go red."

There is only one herb I know where I can visibly, immediately see more blood going to the head - band that is cayenne.

So I thought, "What about cayenne and ginkgo, that sounds like a dynamic duo. "I put cayenne with ginkgo, and I added some kola nut and some fresh rosemary to it. Rosemary is known for taking more blood to the head, and it also grows right outside my door. [The brain formula is given in Chapter Five.]

BISER: Okay, so what happened when you added the cayenne?

SCHULZE: Well, this is when the big change happened. I could hear it in the patients' responses.

A few complained about the heat of the new tonic, but they were all talking about how it worked better. The people who were depressed became a lot less depressed. The people with tinnitus had it go away in three days instead of three months.

Once I added the cayenne, I had the opportunity to use the formula with a lot of people who had brain injuries or strokes. That is when it really stood out. It worked better than just the cayenne or the ginkgo by themselves. Nobody does this, and what could be a better dynamic duo than putting those two together?

BISER: What happened with depression or memory, compared with what happened before?

SCHULZE: Very interesting. I had a number of patients get very depressed because of what the doctor told them, or because of their medical procedures or whatever. One of the things I had to do in my clinic was to combat depression all the time. The ginkgo on its own was effective with maybe 20 percent of the patients, but the majority of them didn't notice a difference in their depression.

Putting the cayenne in with it, I would say I got up to about 95 percent immediately. It was quite astounding what the difference was.

Of course, it is a well known scientific fact today, and this is something that has only come out in the last couple years, that there is a small area in the center of the brain. When it atrophies; when it dries up and shrinks and has a lack of blood and oxygen to it, you become more depressed. Keeping the circulation going to that area inhibits depression. And increasing circulation is what cayenne is doing.

So ginkgo is a great herb for getting more blood and oxygen up there, but cayenne is the herb that takes it up there.

"In six days, stroke patients had big changes with cayenne and ginkgo that would have taken six months with ginkgo alone."

BISER: What happened with stroke patients when you added cayenne to fresh ginkgo.

SCHULZE: The paralysis went away and the memory came back.
I mean, look at someone when you put cayenne in their mouth and just watch that blood. You can watch it go way back in their head.

Now - imagine being a stroke victim and having an area of your brain that temporarily died or became numb. You put ginkgo with cayenne together and you can almost watch the changes happen.

I saw big-time improvements in stroke victims in 24 hours. The doctors had already predicted, "Well, it's going to be touch and go," and "It could take six months to a year before Uncle Harry gets better." And Uncle Harry is putting his clothes on and getting the hell out of the hospital in 24 hours.

How to use ginkgo with cayenne for curing Alzheimer's.

SCHULZE: I had this one lady with Alzheimer's disease. She ran a business, but her disease got to where she couldn't remember anyone's name, couldn't remember who they were, and wondered who were these strangers coming in?

We got her right back to normal in a little over a week, to where she remembered anything she wanted. Specifically, what we used on her was the brain tonic we mention in Chapter Five. That has the cayenne in it.

We used it on many many Alzheimer's patients. People told me their whole memory was fading. It was like a bad hard disk on a computer; they couldn't bring up any information. But after using the formula for 3, 4 or 10 days, in the individual cases, people had their memory back.

BISER: What is a good dose of this brain formula for anyone with Alzheimer's disease?

SCHULZE: If you have Alzheimer's disease, or serious memory loss, the dosage would be two full dropperfuls, three times a day. This is a dosage of the brain formula made properly, with organically-grown herbs, and packed with those herbs to the brim while soaking in alcohol. {Editor: Instructions for making tinctures are in Chapter Four of this report.]

BISER: That's enough for Alzheimer’s?

SCHULZE: No. This is the dose to start with for a few days. Then you can take it from two dropperfuls to four dropperfuls per dose. On timing, you could go up to every other hour, if you wanted to really crank it up.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: October 15, 2012 08:10PM

This is where i disagree with Schulze, cayenne isn't that great in regards to increasing circulation. Cayenne will increase superficial circulation but has little action on deep circulation.

I feel Schulze oversells Cayenne in this regard. There are much better herbs especially ones which increase deep circulation.

Schulze also fails to take into account many situations in which cayenne use is contra-indicated.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 08:13PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 15, 2012 08:18PM

<<<So, I am studying neuroscience and curious if people have experienced a difference in memory, cognition or improvement in academics from transitioning to a raw food diet versus vegetarian or even more so, pescatarian?>>>

Hey MMM,

The 3 most common comments I get from most of my students within a few days of Juice Fasting/Feasting are #1) I can’t believe I’m Not Hungry; #2) I can’t believe how much Energy I have and #3) I can’t believe that it’s this easy. And then, after about 3 or 4 days quite a few of my students comment that they feel like a Fog has lifted off of their Brain.

Remember, our Brain if fed by our Blood and our Blood is fed by our Colon, so as soon as we clean up our Colon, we clean up our Blood and our Brain, as well as all of our other Cells throughout our Body.

Here are a few snippets from my file on “Colon & Mind Connection”:

“The colon is the mirror of the mind. If the mind is tight, so is the colon.” -Dr. Alan Cott

“The small bowel is a critically important part of the body, it is the most similar to our brain of any other organ.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah

“If your bowel is not happy, those same chemicals influence your brain.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah

“If your bowel is not happy, your brain isn’t either... because the chemicals are the same.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah

Serotonin is the natural chemical in the body that antidepressants affect. Though 5 percent of your body's serotonin is in your brain, 95 percent is in your intestines. "You have a second brain down there," Dr. Oz says. "There are 100 million nerves in that intestine tract. That's the same amount of nerves as you have in your spine." -Dr. Oz on Oprah

Dr. Oz on Oprah

Dr. Oz: “This is a small bowel... This is a critically important part of the body, it is the most similar to our brain of any other organ.”

Oprah: “Your bowel is like your brain?”

Dr. Oz: “Absolutely, absolutely. But the thing about the small bowel, it has those primitive messenger, those chemicals that tell the bowel how to work. If your bowel is not happy, those same chemicals influence your brain. A lot of the discomfort we feel...(Oprah interuptus)”

Oprah: “Say that again. If your bowel is not happy, …”

Dr. Oz: “…your brain isn’t either.”

Oprah: “…your brain isn’t either.”

Dr. Oz: “Because the chemicals are the same.”

Oprah: “That’s true because your brain is saying you have to do something for me today...all right, let’s go sit awhile.”

Date: October 15, 2012 08:24PM

This is another myth, the serotonin which is produced from the gut flora does not cross the blood brain barrier.

It does have other uses though such as to increase peristalsis.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 15, 2012 08:45PM

Hey powerlifer,

Have you read the 160 page book on “Cayenne” by Schulze’s Mentor - Dr. John R. Christopher?

As you may know, it was Dr. Christopher who nicknamed Dr. Schulze - Professor Cayenne, as Schulze was one of Christopher’s best students.

How about “The Way of Herbs” by Michael Tierra - have you read it?

I think this is one of the best Herb Books out there as far as how the information was presented. Tierra writes about making Herbal Formula where 70% of the Herbs possess the Primary Property required to treat the ailment; 10% of the Herbs are Stimulants, like Cayenne or Ginger; 10% of the Herbs are Antispasmodics; and 10% of the Herbs are Carminative or Demulcents.

Anyway, if you don’t have Tierra’s book, I highly recommend it.

PS Since you disagree with Dr. Schulze, I thought you might like to read…

A Message from Dr. Richard Schulze

When I first started my own healing journey in the 1960's, one of my first great shocks was that most health products didn't work. This included all of the herbal formula I tried. I was constantly amazed at the weakness of these so-called intense herbal formula that were supposed to change my life. They didn't. I would take them diligently and nothing would happen. Out of frustration, and my own illness, I remember taking 20 to 100 times the dosage, the whole bottle, and still little or no effect. In order to get myself well from a terminal heart disease, I had to break all the rules and make it up as I went. Because I broke the rules, I got well.

In the 1970's, I started helping others get well and opened up my clinic. From the early days of my clinical practice I was especially interested in helping people with serious illness and degenerative diseases. Almost all other graduates from the various institutes I attended worked mainly on young healthy people who wanted to be a bit healthier, but I was obsessed with emergency treatment and the sick and dying. The same useless herbal formulae that failed me years before were now failing to help any of my patients. They though they were doing something wrong and this is why they were coming to see me. I was forced to improve upon the crude formulae I had developed to heal myself and also created new formula that worked. Why were all the herbal formulae useless? Why didn't they work? As far as I could see there were 3 main reasons for this.

REASON #1 (Antique Formulae)
Many of the herbal formulae available were designed in the middle to late 1800's, some even earlier. The 1800's were very different times. Today, we have junk food restaurants on every corner, get less exercise and have more stress than probably ever before in history. What it took to stimulate and cleanse Wyatt Earp and Buffalo Bill 150 years ago doesn't work today. Even some of the more modern herbal formula available were still designed in the 1940's or 1950's. This is still over 40 years ago when herbs were looked at as a cute little hobby to alleviate headaches and tired feet, not cure life threatening disease. Many other modern formula are just remakes of these ancient formula; the herbs are just shuffled and a so called new formula is dealt. These formula just don't work.

REASON #2 (Weak formulae, wimpy dosages, poor manufacturing and poor quality herbs)
Most modern American natural healers and herbalists have been educated and grew up in the hostile legal and political environment. Recent history reveals that the A.M.A. and other organizations have been on a witch hunt for practicing herbalists and have jailed many. Out of fear, most herbalists and manufacturers want to make sure that no one ever gets a strong action or has any reactions with their products, even a cleansing reaction. They feel it's far safer to make products that have little or no effect. Like medical doctors today, treatment and therapy parameters are designed by the hospital legal departments, to minimize financial repercussions and malpractice lawsuits, not always what is best for the patient.

One way these herbal manufacturers assure their safety, not your health, is to design a formula with very small amounts of the potent herbs, or none at all. Then to be really safe they suggest a dosage that is so low it's useless. They don't want to take any risks. To further weaken any potency many manufacturers have abandoned the tried and true methods of old herbalists for quick extraction processes, high tech (high heat) machinery, freeze dried herbs, ignoring the moons and seasons, mostly to make a quick buck. The result, most herbal products I see today are worthless junk. Many manufacturers are more concerned that their products tastes good or has a great looking label than with whether you will get well using it. I also see labels loaded with sophisticated laboratory testing results for potency, trying to convince you that the colorless, tasteless and odorless water inside will actually benefit you. How stupid do they think we are?

One of the worst aspects of many herbal formulae today is the poor quality of herbs used. The vast majority of herbal of herbal products are made from India, China, Egypt, Mexico or Eastern Europe cost literally pennies a pound. I never used these poor quality herbs in my clinic. I always used American organically grown herbs that can cost over 20 times as much. I have visited these countries and found filthy, disgusting growing conditions, toxic pollution and out of control use of pesticides and insecticides. When we travel to those countries we don't drink the water, don't even eat the food, then why would we want to use herbs grown there?

In the last two years there have been numerous people getting sick after using famous herbal formula because the herbs were contaminated with human fecal waste. If this isn't bad enough most of these contaminated herbs, when brought into the United Sates, are gassed with Ethylene Oxide, an antibacterial gas that is known to cause cancer and also cause mutations in unborn children. In fact the vast majority of organic herbs are even sterilized with this gas because the manufacturers are scared to use unsterilized herbs. In the last two years I have done much to expose this corruption and I have been attacked by almost everyone in the herb industry, even my so-called friends. Even though they are well aware of the problems, I have affected their income and they are plenty mad. Even the ones who haven't attacked me wont go on record to expose the industry or speak the truth. Most of my colleagues, out of fear of prosecution, write books and magazine articles, gather at the meetings of their guilds, run schools and teach, but rarely have ever worked with a patient. It is illegal for an American herbalist to run a clinic and cure patients from illness and disease using American Herbs. This leads to the 3rd reason why most herbal formula don't work.

REASON #3 (Theory, not practical, clinical experience)
Why is it that most modern herbal formula, designed by many of my colleagues, don't work? As I walk down the isles of modern day health food stores I see hundreds of herbal products and recognize many of the names on the bottles. Many are my students and many are friends, but few of these armchair herbalists ever ran a clinic and would know the difference between a heart attach and indigestion. What they don't tell you on the bottle is that they developed these formula after countless hours of research reading books and searching computer data bases, but they have no clinical results or cures. You may be the first human to ever put these formula in your mouth. A few of their herbal hypothesis are good, and in years, probably decades, few might prove to be important discoveries. I also know most of these formula will be tossed in the garbage where they belong.

Running my clinic I learned very quickly what it takes to get people well. Theories don't, hypothesis don't, but quality herbs, potent formulas and large dosages do. The following formulae, dosages and programs are the result of 10 years of healing myself and an additional 18 years of clinical experience. They work.

Date: October 15, 2012 08:52PM

<<<This is another myth, the serotonin which is produced from the gut flora does not cross the blood brain barrier.>>>

[articles.mercola.com]
If You Can't Beat Depression, This Could be Why
Posted By Dr. Mercola | April 12 2011

Most people fail to realize that your gut is quite literally your second brain, and actually has the ability to significantly influence your:

• Mind
• Mood
• Behavior

So while modern psychiatry still falsely claims that psychological problems such as depression are caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, researchers keep finding that depression and a variety of behavioral problems actually appear to be linked to an imbalance of bacteria in your gut!

Date: October 15, 2012 08:59PM

Here’s another article, along with a Video and the Transcripts, from my file “Colon & Mind Connection”:

[articles.mercola.com]
The Root Cause of Anxiety and Depression That Few Suspect
May 03 2012 | 17,521 views |

Story at-a-glance
• The secret to improving your mood and brain health is in your gut, as unhealthy gut flora can impact your mental health, leading to issues like anxiety, depression, autism and more
• There is a close connection between abnormal gut flora and abnormal brain development, and just as you have neurons in your brain, you also have neurons in your gut -- including neurons that produce neurotransmitters like serotonin, which is also found in your brain and is linked to mood
• Your gut bacteria are an active and integrated part of your body, and as such are heavily dependent on your diet and vulnerable to your lifestyle choices, including poor diet and taking antibiotics
• Limiting sugar and eating traditionally fermented foods, taking a probiotic supplement and breastfeeding your baby are among the best ways to optimize gut flora and subsequently support brain health

Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 1 of 6)
14:16 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 2 of 6)
14:11 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 3 of 6)
14:04 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 4 of 6)
12:27 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 5 of 6)
14:27 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (Part 6 of 6)
3:58 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]
Download Interview Transcript [ [mercola.fileburst.com] ]

Date: October 15, 2012 09:00PM

I have followed all three of these herbalists since getting interested in herbalism. They have many good tips, but much of there work is out-dated, text-book herbalism.

Common mistakes such as adding tannin rich herbs to formulas, which binds to much of the active compounds in herbs.

Again the serotonin generated from the gut bacteria doesn't cross the blood brain barrier.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 09:02PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 15, 2012 09:24PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> I have followed all three of these herbalists
> since getting interested in herbalism. They have
> many good tips, but much of there work is
> out-dated, text-book herbalism.
>
>
>

Which herbalists do you respect?

Date: October 15, 2012 09:30PM

Thanks for your feedback regarding those Herbalists.

As far as the serotonin not crossing the blood brain barrier, it seems to be a moot point in my book because there are No separate body parts and if your Colon ain’t Happy, your Brain ain’t either.

Speaking of Neurons in your Gut, here’s something that I thought was fascinating when I first read it and is related to this post…

“…60 to 65% of the cells of the heart are actually neural cells, not muscle cells as was previously believed. They are identical to the neural cells in the brain, operating through the same connecting links called ganglia, with the same axonal anddendritic connections that take place in the brain, as well as through the very same kinds of neurotransmitters found in the brain.

Quite literally, in other words, there is a "brain" in the heart, whose ganglia are linked to every major organ in the body, to the entire muscle spindle system that uniquely enables humans to express their emotions.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 09:31PM by John Rose.

Date: October 15, 2012 09:49PM

I need time to read all of these posts and actually "digest"it, however, all of this is what Dr.D'Adamo states in his book regarding gut and the colon. However, he claims that Type O needs red meat or fish in order for the body/brain to function and work properly.

Also, it is day 3 and I am still having a terrible time focusing... maybe I am not getting enough calories. I want to stay with this, but my studies need to be first with my health.. so, not sure what to do. I do not have the time to sit around and eat all day. I think if I know this will get easier in time, than I can continue but today I almost went and bought some fish because I felt like I could not think or concentrate during my statistics study group. THEN... I had 2 small pears and a plum, and I could think again.

Date: October 16, 2012 12:04AM

If you were under the impression that most of us just sit and eat all day, I don't think that's correct. I think we have found ways to incorporate food/bring it with in an easy fashion, and we also have, with time, been able to consume MORE fruit in one sitting. Two small pears and a plum isn't many calories at all, it's a light snack. smiling smiley

Personally I work 30-60 hours/week (it does vary, not my choice), and you saw my workout schedule, it probably averages, with teh walking, about 3 hours of movement. I also hang out with pals like once or twice a week and read (currently Game of Thrones smiling smiley) Obviously spend some time online chatting and goofing off. yawning smiley

Date: October 16, 2012 03:12AM

OMG, I really did not mean that everyone sits around and eats all day!! sad smiley((

What I meant is I am having a hard time fitting in because I am not used toe eating every 2-3 hours which I know is better for us.

Great to hear that in time, I will be able to digest more food in one sitting. Patiencesmiling smiley

Utopian Life Wrote:
> If you were under the impression that most of us
> just sit and eat all day, I don't think that's
> correct. I think we have found ways to
> incorporate food/bring it with in an easy fashion,
> and we also have, with time, been able to consume
> MORE fruit in one sitting. Two small pears and a
> plum isn't many calories at all, it's a light
> snack. smiling smiley
>
> Personally I work 30-60 hours/week (it does vary,
> not my choice), and you saw my workout schedule,
> it probably averages, with teh walking, about 3
> hours of movement. I also hang out with pals like
> once or twice a week and read (currently Game of
> Thrones smiling smiley) Obviously spend some time online
> chatting and goofing off. yawning smiley

Date: October 16, 2012 03:21AM

John Rose Wrote:
> <<>>
>
> Hey MMM,
>
> The 3 most common comments I get from most of my
> students within a few days of Juice
> Fasting/Feasting are #1) I can’t believe I’m
> Not Hungry; #2) I can’t believe how much Energy
> I have and #3) I can’t believe that it’s this
> easy. And then, after about 3 or 4 days quite a
> few of my students comment that they feel like a
> Fog has lifted off of their Brain.
>
> Remember, our Brain if fed by our Blood and our
> Blood is fed by our Colon, so as soon as we clean
> up our Colon, we clean up our Blood and our Brain,
> as well as all of our other Cells throughout our
> Body.
>
> Here are a few snippets from my file on “Colon &
> Mind Connection”:
>
> “The colon is the mirror of the mind. If the
> mind is tight, so is the colon.” -Dr. Alan Cott
>
>
> “The small bowel is a critically important part
> of the body, it is the most similar to our brain
> of any other organ.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah
>
> “If your bowel is not happy, those same
> chemicals influence your brain.” -Dr. Oz on
> Oprah
>
> “If your bowel is not happy, your brain isn’t
> either... because the chemicals are the same.”
> -Dr. Oz on Oprah
>
> Serotonin is the natural chemical in the body that
> antidepressants affect. Though 5 percent of your
> body's serotonin is in your brain, 95 percent is
> in your intestines. "You have a second brain down
> there," Dr. Oz says. "There are 100 million
> nerves in that intestine tract. That's the same
> amount of nerves as you have in your spine." -Dr.
> Oz on Oprah
>
> Dr. Oz on Oprah
>
> Dr. Oz: “This is a small bowel... This is a
> critically important part of the body, it is the
> most similar to our brain of any other organ.”
>
> Oprah: “Your bowel is like your brain?”
>
> Dr. Oz: “Absolutely, absolutely. But the thing
> about the small bowel, it has those primitive
> messenger, those chemicals that tell the bowel how
> to work. If your bowel is not happy, those same
> chemicals influence your brain. A lot of the
> discomfort we feel...(Oprah interuptus)”
>
> Oprah: “Say that again. If your bowel is not
> happy, …”
>
> Dr. Oz: “…your brain isn’t either.”
>
> Oprah: “…your brain isn’t either.”
>
> Dr. Oz: “Because the chemicals are the
> same.”
>
> Oprah: “That’s true because your brain is
> saying you have to do something for me today...all
> right, let’s go sit awhile.”
>
> Peace and Love..........John

Thanks so much for the information. I do believe we have the gut is the second brain.. just like when people say" listen to your gut" to make a decision.

I do feel like I have more energy without any animal byproducts.... I just need to get more grounded, does this make sense? Maybe I am still eating too much?? Seems like impossible because I maybe had 600 calories today and I ate all day long.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:02AM

This is why raw doesn't work for most, it is hard to eat alot of calories from raw food due to the volume.

Which is why people end up consuming crazy banana/date smoothie combos to get the calories in, makes much more sense to level and balance the diet out with a little more nutrient dense and protein/fat dense foods.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 16, 2012 01:32PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> This is why raw doesn't work for most, it is hard
> to eat alot of calories from raw food due to the
> volume.
>
> Which is why people end up consuming crazy
> banana/date smoothie combos to get the calories
> in, makes much more sense to level and balance the
> diet out with a little more nutrient dense and
> protein/fat dense foods.
>

----
I'm curious why you're on a raw food support forum, PL. You don't seem to support the raw food diet.

Date: October 16, 2012 01:48PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> -----
> > This is why raw doesn't work for most, it is
> hard
> > to eat alot of calories from raw food due to
> the
> > volume.
> >
> > Which is why people end up consuming crazy
> > banana/date smoothie combos to get the calories
> > in, makes much more sense to level and balance
> the
> > diet out with a little more nutrient dense and
> > protein/fat dense foods.
> >
> > [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]
>
>
> ----
> I'm curious why you're on a raw food support
> forum, PL. You don't seem to support the raw food
> diet.

I did at one point support a raw diet though but have evolved due to personal and others experiences to believe it isn't a healthy diet to follow long term.

I probably should leave as my current views on diet now don't fit in with the guidelines really despite the fact that i do still consume lots of living and raw foods, still have the passion for them despite the fact i believe a strict raw diet to be unhealthy. I have a massive interest in plant foods and phyto-medicine in general, which is alot of why i still hang here.

I have also met many people through this forum, who i would consider friends and people i like keeping in touch with. Do raw food forums have to become such dogmatic and elitist zones that the only people who can discuss raw foods have to be following the diet 100% ?.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 01:55PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 16, 2012 02:06PM

Hey CS aka PL,

It sounds like you've been misguided by TB, so I'm starting a another Thread on this subject...

The TRUTH about Calories & Raw Food…
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: October 16, 2012 02:14PM

John Rose Wrote:
> Hey CS aka PL,
>
> It sounds like you've been misguided by TB, so I'm
> starting a another Thread on this subject...
>
> The TRUTH about Calories & Raw Food…
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Hey John,

I actually had never heard of this guy until this thread. I will give your thread a read over later once im back.

For further clarification again im not anti-raw, infact im pro raw foods and plant foods in general for healing. Just not pro 100% raw diet im afraid, this is an expiramental diet that is in its early infancy in my opinion.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 16, 2012 02:18PM

I'm going to respond up top so the quote isn't too long. This has nothing to do with YOUR PERSONAL diet; it has to do with your posts. You do not support raw food diets. People come on here EXACTLY for support of a raw-food diet. If you think wanting support on a raw food forum that's for support is dogmatic and elitist, I don't know how to help you there. Except to say "how ironic...."

ADD: I'd say at least half your posts could be reported as unsupportive and against the terms, but unfortunately you are one of the most frequent posters. don't get me wrong, I like you, PL, but maybe try a vegan forum?

powerlifer Wrote:
> Utopian Life Wrote:
> -----
> > powerlifer Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > This is why raw doesn't work for most, it is
> > hard
> > > to eat alot of calories from raw food due to
> > the
> > > volume.
> > >
> > > Which is why people end up consuming crazy
> > > banana/date smoothie combos to get the
> calories
> > > in, makes much more sense to level and
> balance
> > the
> > > diet out with a little more nutrient dense
> and
> > > protein/fat dense foods.
> > >
> > > [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]
> >
> >
> > ----
> > I'm curious why you're on a raw food support
> > forum, PL. You don't seem to support the raw
> food
> > diet.
>
> I did at one point support a raw diet though but
> have evolved due to personal and others
> experiences to believe it isn't a healthy diet to
> follow long term.
>
> I probably should leave as my current views on
> diet now don't fit in with the guidelines really
> despite the fact that i do still consume lots of
> living and raw foods, still have the passion for
> them despite the fact i believe a strict raw diet
> to be unhealthy. I have a massive interest in
> plant foods and phyto-medicine in general, which
> is alot of why i still hang here.
>
> I have also met many people through this forum,
> who i would consider friends and people i like
> keeping in touch with. Do raw food forums have to
> become such dogmatic and elitist zones that the
> only people who can discuss raw foods have to be
> following the diet 100% ?.
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 02:19PM by Utopian Life.

Date: October 16, 2012 02:23PM

Like i say i can see where you are coming from UL and i have already discussed with other members recently that i would be leaving as my views are far too at the other end of the scale despite the fact i still love raw foods.

The raw food movement is heavily steeped in dogma though, it is about writing side effects off as just detox, believing in many theories that aren't backed up by logic or common sense. Its about using wild animals as basis for many of the reasons why we, do this or that. Its essentially about believing that the raw diet is a cure all panacea, which in my opinion it isn't.

Speaking up about these theories shouldn't be seen as unsupportive. Such as the Natural Hygeine way of thinking, that may be true to you but it certainly isn't for many other members. Why is sharing a different opinion seen as unsupportive, its actually far many more of my posts that get constantly picked apart, usually in reference to other raw foods such as garlic, herbs or spices, all of these raw living foods. You can't add your 2 cents worth to any thread on living foods such as fermented foods, raw spices, herbs etc without debate.

Im sorry i don't automatically accept the NH ideals, which i guess makes me look unsupportive in many posts, despite the fact i spend many hours trying to help others on here.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 02:33PM by powerlifer.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables