Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

After quitting Raw Food diet; weight gain?
Posted by: Danndy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:14PM

So, I was on a raw food for 4 months and because of circumstances in my private life I had to get off the 100% raw food regimen. I continued eating fruits for breakfast and I only had lunch as a processed food. I overate 2-3 times, but I was eating only whole wheat pizza crust, or spaghetti with lots of veggies.
I just stepped on the scale and it tells me that I gained 8kg/17lbs in A WEEK. My metabolism didn't slow down, I still go as much as 4 times a day to the loo. I am shocked, stressed and even thinking that there might be a problem with my body.
Anyone having such experience? I am 21yo guy btw. And even before starting the raw food diet I was on a 70% raw food regimen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: After quitting Raw Food diet; weight gain?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 27, 2012 12:48AM

Danndy,

Do you know whether you are gluten sensitive?

Re: After quitting Raw Food diet; weight gain, health probs?
Date: October 27, 2012 08:47PM

Yes, before even starting the raw food I did the food sensitivity tests and I was negative on gluten. I was slightly sensitive on carrots and oranges, but I skipped them totally, never had them ever since I did the tests.

Right now, actually yesterday, I noticed that my feet and lower legs are swollen, a lot, they turned cushiony, like filled with air... It's been 2 days and they don't seem to be going get back to normal! I was afraid that it's Psoriatic Arthritis (I am suffering from scalp psoriasis), but I don't have any of the symptoms...

I don't know if quitting the raw foodism has to do anything with the "health problem". I was doing regularly, once per month, blood and urine tests and they were ideal... all of a sudden, this happened.

Someone else ever experienced this?

As well, I think I'll get back to raw foodism again, it made me more happy and I felt so much better...

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 27, 2012 09:57PM

I think it was the pizza (search for the book call The Weat Belly). You can still do pretty good with steam vegs, boiled potatoes, and even rice. Mix these things to the raw diet to boost the calories. But you have to put the effort and prepare the food yourself. Never get stuff made. Food in boxes come with tons of additives added.

Date: October 28, 2012 02:13AM

Panchito, I just got the pdf(the book) quickly went through it, yeah I do agree, but it is really... weird what just happened (?!).
I never buy processed food from the supermarket or eat at restaurants. The past 4 years I cook for myself, from steamed veggies to raw recipes. Haven't had salt for the past 6 years as well, only few times olive oil... I am an ex anorexia case, so I pretty much can stay away from anything that's not considered healthy.
I made the pizza at home, whole wheat flour, no oil, no salt, vegan... I do know it's not good, highly processed food due the baking on high temperature, but still...
Thank you once again.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 02:51AM

You don't say weather this stuff is organic? Wheat flour might be better if it is organic but who knows what is going on with you? You might PM Powerlifter, he is good with technical stuff like this. IMO you need Psycho therapy if you have had an eating disorder! first and foremost. Then you need to get some GOOD help from a competant holistic M.D. doctor would be good also. Most doctors don't even know how to read blood work unless you are in tremendous deprivation. Food sensitivity tests might not be accurate either, pay close attention to what you eat and do a mono allergy diet thingy for a bit to find out what is best for you.

Date: October 28, 2012 03:20AM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't say weather this stuff is organic?
> Wheat flour might be better if it is organic but
> who knows what is going on with you? You might PM
> Powerlifter, he is good with technical stuff like
> this. IMO you need Psycho therapy if you have had
> an eating disorder! first and foremost. Then you
> need to get some GOOD help from a competant
> holistic M.D. doctor would be good also. Most
> doctors don't even know how to read blood work
> unless you are in tremendous deprivation. Food
> sensitivity tests might not be accurate either,
> pay close attention to what you eat and do a mono
> allergy diet thingy for a bit to find out what is
> best for you.

I kinda found the answer rude, but I am willing to explain. I had a psycho therapy and that wasn't the only thing that helped me with the anorexia, but I did got out of that cycle. As for the blood results, there are more than accurate, my mum is chemical engineer in the public hospital, she's the one that did all my tests, so let's skip that part of a "possibility".
Yeah, I will go to the doctor (on Monday tho).
I mean my question was, if anyone ever quit the raw food regimen for a week lets say and gained abnormally lots of weight (8kg/17lbs) in my case...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 28, 2012 02:18PM

Danndy,

I mean my question was, if anyone ever quit the raw food regimen for a week lets say and gained abnormally lots of weight (8kg/17lbs) in my case...

No, but what you describe as clear edema in your lower extremities, and which may be contributing to the "weight" gain, is worrying. Glad you are going to the doctor soon!

P.S. That's just the way rzman communicates; don't take it personally smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2012 04:54PM

Danndy, I did not mean to be rude but what you are describing seems to be edema do to too much salt? Spagetti sauce is loaded with it and so are almost all processed foods. Just because your mum is a chemical engineer does'nt mean she knows how to read blood work like some of the more knowlegable holistic practitioners. I don't know one doctor that I would trust to look at my blood work? they are just not taught to pick up on the finer aspects of blood chemistry.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 28, 2012 08:47PM

I thought it was well known that cooked food may not be entirely assimilated and leave waste that turn into additional weight.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: November 04, 2012 09:01PM

what about sea salt?

Anyone use it or is it best to stay away?

Date: November 04, 2012 11:54PM

michelemm, I prefer unprocessed salt like Realsalt!! Most seasalt is heated I believe. You could eat RAW dulse and get sea salt from that wich is unprocessed!

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: November 05, 2012 02:04AM

Do you have a past medical history of heart problems?

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: November 05, 2012 02:21AM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> michelemm, I prefer unprocessed salt like
> Realsalt!! Most seasalt is heated I believe. You
> could eat RAW dulse and get sea salt from that
> wich is unprocessed!

Good point. Never thought of salt as heated. Geez, I am not on top this stuff at all.

TYsmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables