Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What will you be having on Thanksgiving?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 17, 2012 10:10PM

Will you just eat raw foods? If so, any recipes to share? If not, any recipes to share? winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What will you be having on Thanksgiving?
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 18, 2012 02:03AM

As is my custom, I'll be Dry Fasting for the 24-hour period. I bet no one else can say that!!......WY
P.S. I'm a Hermit with no social obligations, so it's quite easy for me....Christmas and Easter too.

Date: November 18, 2012 06:50PM

WY, I have thought about that too. I once read a book about different vegetarians and the Nearings (Scott and Helen) used to fast on T-Day.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 18, 2012 08:37PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.....the Nearings (Scott and Helen) used to fast on T-Day.

I remember the Nearings. They wrote a monthly column for the Mother Earth News many years ago. They drank deep Well Water. She lived to be 91, he 100. They were Homesteaders from Maine......WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: November 19, 2012 12:34AM

turkey

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 19, 2012 02:30PM

Just my regular raw food all day. Luckily I won't have to make the big turkey meal for my whole family, like usual, because they're not visiting this year. Years ago when I was first raw, I had a whole raw prepared Thanksgiving meal delivered for myself for $40. It was great. If anyone knows of any other Thanksgiving raw mail-order delivery places, let me know. This one looked great - if I could have gotten just the one for $100, I would have done it. I've gotten their other weekly meals, and they're very good.

[www.purerawcafe.com]

Posted by: HH ()
Date: November 19, 2012 03:40PM

I fasted alone last year on Thanksgiving. It was the culmination of a lengthy fasting phase which my ego probably engaged in order to punish itself for feeling guilty over the suicide of my dear friend. The chronic fasting led to my stomach being screwed up for about 6 months. I think that this year I'm going to take a day off from rasslin' with my demons and be with people as much as I can. I will definitely be eating a lot of something. I try to be a good boy for at least 340 days out of every year. I'm not perfect and I'm not here to be perfect. @#$%& it.

Date: November 19, 2012 04:04PM

KR, what sorts of food did the online service provide? It sounds interesting--I was wondering if they attempted some semblance of a turkey-esque substance.

Date: November 20, 2012 12:43AM

If you mean the Pure Raw Cafe people, the link above shows what they provide this year. The Thanksgiving raw meal I had about ten years ago is hard to remember exactly. It was a squash soup, a potatoes and gravy, a stuffing dish, a couple vegetable dishes, pumpkin pie and I can't remember a couple other dishes. I remember it was amazingly good because I was only used to plain raw - soups, salads and smoothies. And the food lasted for three days meals so it was a great bargain.

I sometimes mail-order raw food from Pure Market Express. I just got the Manicotti last week and it's really good - the tomato sauce is spicy.

[www.puremarketexpress.com]

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: November 24, 2012 10:25PM

I had a vegetable tray and some gluten free dairy free pumpkin pie. It was not raw, but no turkey for me.

Date: November 24, 2012 10:47PM

I had a Trader Joe's version of Tofurkey. I prefer Quorn (which I also bought and had it today), but it's not vegan. I am not sure about the TJ's tofurkey...It tasted better than the original brand of Tofurkey.

Date: November 25, 2012 02:27AM

I remember checking out Quorn years ago when it first came on the scene, and finding out that it's 'bad' for our health. I forget why, but I guess I'll see if I can find out.

Date: November 25, 2012 02:43AM

I think I'll pass on the Quorn -

[www.wired.com]

[www.vegparadise.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.cspinet.org]

[online.wsj.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 02:46AM by KidRaw.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: November 25, 2012 01:40PM

Well me and my devil may care attitude landed me a massive case of heartburn on Thanksgiving. Lesson learned!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 25, 2012 06:00PM

i made a raw apple crumble and had collard wraps with red bell pepper sauce and a kale salad with a dill dressing. good stuff. worked out the day of, day after, feel great!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 25, 2012 06:52PM

sorry, this is a bit late, but I just came across this link:

[www.terawarner.com]

looks very fancy! bit too fussy for me, but maybe for next year, for any gourmet peeps? winking smiley

Date: November 25, 2012 09:06PM

Kid Raw, why the need to discredit what I ate? If it doesn't bother me, why should you care? It's not vegan so you wouldn't eat it anyway. But it's interesting that you posted those links because I noticed something very interesting: the whole Quorn controversy occurred in 2002. Then I read the Wiki entry and it just so happened to coincide with Quorn coming to this country... eye rolling smiley I mean, pretty blatant. Quorn is soy-free (although it does contain egg whites so it's not vegan). I wonder if the soy lobby wanted to scare people off the product. It's so stupid because anything can cause allergic reactions in those who are...um...allergic?

Date: November 25, 2012 11:15PM

I'm sorry, banana who. I didn't mean to 'discredit what you ate'. I just meant to say that I had heard Quorn was 'bad' and then I felt like I had to look it up to find out for sure to see if I was right and why it was unhealthy. And I guess it was in 2002 when it was first invented that it was probably discussed on here. I'm not strictly vegan, either.

Do you think one of the side-effects of Quorn is that it makes one overly sensitive? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 11:20PM by KidRaw.

Date: November 26, 2012 12:39AM

Quorn was not invented in 2002; that's when it came to America. And I believe the risks were overblown possibly due to the soybean industry feeling threatened at the competition for an alternative to soy. Some people are allergic and some do not wish to consume it due to possible hypothyroidism.

I am not sensitive to what you wrote; I am simply tired of the critique. I am not the only one who has experienced this--after one of us discloses something we have consumed, it doesn't take long before someone else negative about the food mentioned. If someone asks a question about a particular food, then it makes sense to comment about it. But in this case, I don't know what the point was to mention a decade-old situation. I had already eaten the food, in any case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables