Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sparing the life of one turkey
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 21, 2012 07:01PM

What do you think about presidents sparing the life of one turkey on tv and then eating a turkey dinner? Does it make sense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sparing the life of one turkey
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 21, 2012 10:16PM

Turkeys have done nothing wrong to be pardoned.

Date: November 22, 2012 01:01PM

~45 million turkeys are sacrificed to produce pleasure and say thanks at the dinner table on thanksgiving.

[www.ask.com]

"Approximately 45 million turkeys are killed during the Thanksgiving festivities in the United States. The turkey is one of the most popular birds in the United States and a favorite part of the meals in American homes during the Thanksgiving holidays."

What a "nice" way to say thanks.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 22, 2012 06:07PM

It looks like the pardon is only good for one year --

Peace, Turkey Pardoned by President Obama Last Thanksgiving, Euthanized

[www.wptv.com]

"Peace, one of two turkeys pardoned by President Obama last year, was euthanized Monday, according to an official who insisted the timing of the death - days before the Thanksgiving holiday - was not suspicious."

Date: November 22, 2012 07:46PM

It gives comfort to know that the rest, the 45 million, have been put to rest in a "humane" manner.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: November 23, 2012 07:18AM

It's a publicity stunt, like most anything intentionally televised smiling smiley It's all part of our government's marketing.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: November 23, 2012 10:10AM

yeah I know. Sometimes I wonder about people having murder-dinners and saying thanks. It is just that the smile, the thanks, and the murder seem incongruent. Their bodies rotten up, their faces bloat with signs of dissease, the remains of the murder end up in the trash, and yet they say Thanks. Do people say Thanks when eating twinkies?

God bless them.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 01:36AM

Lets not be to hard on the carnivores, they are doing the best they can with what they have.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:30PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you think about presidents sparing the
> life of one turkey on tv and then eating a turkey
> dinner? Does it make sense?

Welcome to Obama's Americawinking smiley

(For the sarcasm-impaired, I am spoofing those who ascribe everything negative to Obama...)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:35PM

I am responsible for Thanksgiving dinner, and always try to source the most humanely raised bird possible. It was difficult this year to actually buy the turkey; I truly felt that I was feeding my loved ones bad Karma, so I made sure everything else on the table was high fiber, vegetarian, organic, fair trade, etc. I know that I am getting to the point where I will not be able to compartmentalize it like this anymore. Why is this turkey suitable for killing and eating, but not the pardoned bird? It's ludicrous! Either we are merciful to all these beasts or we are honest about the fact that their existence has no value beyond our plates, which is an abominable concept, IMO. Even before I became a vegetarian, I found the presidential turkey pardon . . . distasteful. I am not prone to equivocating, but I hate doing it, and I hate seeing other people do it. When it has a humaneness component, it's particularily disturbing.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:56PM

Tam, it just shows the disconnect between ideas and actions. Many people would eschew meat if they had to kill it. And most of us are horrified by anyone eating dog or other "pet" type of animals. But many cannot see how all animals feel pain and deserve life.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:13PM

Tamukha,

" It was difficult this year to actually buy the turkey; I truly felt that I was feeding my loved ones bad Karma, so I made sure everything else on the table was high fiber, vegetarian, organic, fair trade, etc. "

"two wrongs don't make a right..."

I roundly refuse to eat/cook, or have anything in the house that is an animal product. My family thinks I'm crazy, but they accept it for the few days a year that we all get together.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:23PM

strange

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables