Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watercress
Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:34AM

As of recently, I've been adding watercress into pretty much everything I've been eating!

Watercress is considered a superfood. Pound for pound it has more calcium than milk, more Vitamin C than oranges, and more iron than spinach.

It has anti-cancer properties aswell as other benefits.

Has anyone else been on a watercress kick?

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watercress
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:40AM

Is watercress bitter? I am trying to think about if I have ever consumed it. It's not widely available, from what I can see. I am wondering if it's one of those things that has gone out of style. I used to see it more often. I wonder if anyone can back me up about that.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: November 26, 2012 12:57AM

Its part of the mustard-radish family. It tastes alittle pepper-y to me..

I've been adding it to my green smoothies (tomatoes, spinach, avo, arugula, cucumbers).. Alittle bit goes a long way!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 01:29AM

Good stuff, and yes I can get it really fresh and organic. I might suggest eating some soaked nuts with it, or maybe avacado, something that makes you stimulate stomach acid. I think this will help with absorbing the calcium if you are intrested in that. Either way, sounds like you are enjoying. I do like the way arugula tastes also unique stuff. Such cool stuff, every sunday I go to the local organic market and there is so much good stuff there, the smells are incredible.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 26, 2012 03:12PM

watercress is a cruciferous vegetable. As such, it is very high on cancer fighting veggies. It has a relatively high more pungent smell compared to other cruciferous veggies like bok choy or kale. A little more bitter too. I've found organic watercress is less bitter and works well in raw soups and salads.

As with all cruciferous vegetables, chew well or chop finely or blend to break down the cell walls of the vegetable for maximum nutritional benefit. Apparently the plant enzyme myrosinase (I'm spelling from memory so forgive any mistakes ) is housed in a seperate cell from the other chemicals (glucosinolates) used to make the isothiocynates that give cruciferous vegetables their pungent smell of which watercress could be the cruciferous king. the principle isothiocyanate in watercress is the same one in turnip...2-phenylethyl isothiocyanate. And turnip and watercress are about the same in terms of their glucosinolate content (the precursor to isothiocyanates). So it looks like turnips and watercress are interchangable except that one is a root vegetable and one is a leafy green. Use both. (source: [www.amazon.com])

Paul

p.s. If you haven't seen Lincoln yet, don't wait for the DVD... see it in the theater. It is magnificent. Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis. Covers Jan 1865 to the presidents death with him trying to pass the 13 th amendment that abolished slavery in the US Best film I have seen in 20 years. The audience applauded. That's how good it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 03:16PM by pborst.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:34PM

I'm interested in it too. I've been looking to add more varieties of greenssmiling smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2012 09:42AM

Watercress is a very nutrient dense green, but it is also one vegetables that is a haven for parasites. So make sure you wash it thoroughly before eating, especially if raw.

One of the few non-sea vegetable greens to contain a decent amount of iodine.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:56PM

I use a combination of separate sprays of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to kill pathogens followed by a cold water rinse. This is based on research by Susan Sumner of Virginia Tech comparing different rinse agents against a variety of pathogens. Note, that the rinses have to be separate. Don't compbine hydrogen peroxide and vinegar into one bottle as it creates a nasty acid... begins with a p. I forget the name.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 30, 2012 12:08AM

Thanks for thissmiling smiley I've always wondered if anyone tested different methodssmiling smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables