Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need raw food advise?
Posted by: Madletsgo ()
Date: November 10, 2012 05:19AM

Hello, my name is Amy and I was a raw foodist in 2009 for 6 months( I was 15). I felt healthy, beautiful and great, however, towards the end of the 6th month something changed. I started to feel depressed (it may of had to do with a deteriorating friendship). Suddenly I felt sickly, and knew raw food wasn't enough. My mom took be to get a blood test and it turns out my red blood cells were deformed due to B12 deficiency. I started to take a supplement but I was feeling stressed and confused. How could a diet so wonderful, be causing me problems? Now, three years later...my relationship with food has crumbled. I have maintained vegetarianism for the most part, but indulge in everything. I am at a healthy weight (although it isn't my ideal weight). I sometimes feel like I will never be as happy or healthy as I was when I was 80-100% raw. I want to go back, but I do not have the confidence. Over the last 3 years, I have tried to go back, and every time i do...I fail. It never seems to click with me. I guess i just need advise and support.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need raw food advise?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 10, 2012 01:47PM

Hi, Amy. Sorry this has been your experience. At your age, your body was still growing[and still is], and had different nutrient needs than the body of an adult. A diet higher in unprocessed plant foods than animal foods is always better than the reverse ratio, so I'd encourage you to keep striving toward making your days, if not your individual meals, as raw as possible. The best way to do this is to not be too fussy; eat lots of fresh raw fruits, vegetables,seeds and nuts, listening to what your body tells you about them afterwards, and adjusting intake accordingly. Also, considering your previous deficiency, it may be prudent to supplement B12--many of us do, including me!--and taking a good probiotic as well, as "insurance." This lifestyle is a process, and each person handles it in their own way. Be kind to yourself, and keep moving toward a more healthful lifestyle, and your body will reward you smiling smiley

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: November 11, 2012 03:26AM

Sorry you are experiencing this. If it makes you feel better, you probably didn't recently develop the B12 deficiency; likely you were already deficient. It takes a LONG time for a B12 deficiency to show itself, and not just vegans but the entire population is pretty likely to be B12 deficient: [fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: HH ()
Date: November 11, 2012 06:50PM

"Nearly 9 percent of the study population fell below the current deficiency level."

How do these study results equate to: "the entire population is pretty likely to be B12 deficient"

Date: November 13, 2012 05:36AM

Good question. A few sentences after, it reads, "There is a question as to what the clinical cutoff for deficiency should be." Earlier in the study, they estimate that about 2/5 of the entire population may be deficient if the study is any indication.

I don't beleive I said the entire population was deficient. However, based on the study and the percentage that was projected to be deficient, we can clearly see that it's a far greater percentage of the population than is vegan, thus making it an issue to be wary of for vegans and non-vegans alike.

That is...if there is an issue. The fact is that we don't really know enough about what B12 levels are necessary or how to measure it...researchers are still debating over these!

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: November 30, 2012 12:39AM

I get my b12 tested every 6 months. So far so good. I wonder if the b12 issue is really a good bacteria issue. I grow my own soil based bacteria with molasses salt and an aquarium pump. Honestly, don't be grossed out, but the more I drink, the better I poosmiling smiley I think they make the b12.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RawPlease ()
Date: November 30, 2012 02:53AM

Pame'laVik'toria Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get my b12 tested every 6 months. So far so
> good. I wonder if the b12 issue is really a good
> bacteria issue. I grow my own soil based bacteria
> with molasses salt and an aquarium pump. Honestly,
> don't be grossed out, but the more I drink, the
> better I poosmiling smiley I think they make the b12.

I'm interested in how you grow it because I'd like to save money by not buying probiotics and B12.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:25PM

Haha I'm nervous to tell you in case you get sick but here goes.
You just put the probiotics in warm water, with a teaspoon of molasses, a sprinkle of seasalt. Then you put an air bubbler, like you would for fish. Leave it to brew all day, cover at night, and for a few hours the next day. Then taste it. If it sit tastes like molasses, the pro-biotics are super weak, or non-active at all. No point taking them. There's many products with soil based organisms instead of milk based.
If it tastes like apple cider vinegar, then the little critters did their job.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 07, 2012 06:29AM

I'm pretty sure that kombucha has b12, how to make it easily yourself: [fresherthanlife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables