Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw sugars in crystal form
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 21, 2006 03:14PM

Hi,

I'm looking for recomendations for a raw sugar in crystal form, so far I've been using liquid agave nector as a sweetener for desserts and treats, but some of the recipes I would like to experiment with could probably be done better with a crystal sugar rather than liquid.

On the other side of the sugar fence, I know sugar is best avoided and I generally avoid using it where possible. But good desserts are an integral part of my raw food diet, and probably a major contributing factor to staying 100% raw. Also, I've found that offering non-raw people some really yummy desserts after a meal can change their attitude (normally "how could you possible do this"winking smiley towards raw vegan diets.

Thanks,
Ian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw sugars in crystal form
Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: December 07, 2012 06:33AM

It's now technically raw if it's pure sugar, since I do believe it's heated up to 160 degrees. "raw" sugar contains more minerals, though, and is better for you than refined.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 07, 2012 09:33AM

There is coconut nectar which i believe comes in sugar crystal form. Ive never seen it about the health food stores, but some people have tried it on here and say its good.

Has to be better than agave nectar from a health point of view.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: December 09, 2012 03:02PM

yes, coconut secret brand does a sugar. its super yummy! and doesn't make me feel jacked up like agave used to. also, I just discovered a new sugar that is totally raw! Its sun dried evaporated sugar cane juice! its very exotic tasting and floral. they have it at my large local whole foods, not my smaller locations, but of course the one that has over 400 bulk bins!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 09, 2012 09:01PM

Whoa...Raw Lion, Sucanat is supposedly evaporated. Is the sugar you're talking about brown in color? Sucanat always tastes burnt to me these days. In the beginning it was a lot more like brown sugarsad smiley

Wow, so lucky to live near a WF with 400 bulk bins! How much per pound? I'm gonna look it up myself...

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: December 10, 2012 06:40AM

no no not sucanat. I am well versed on my sugars....this was specifically sun dried evaporated cane juice. totally raw. next time im there i will look at the brand!

Date: December 10, 2012 06:04PM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no no not sucanat. I am well versed on my
> sugars....this was specifically sun dried
> evaporated cane juice. totally raw. next time im
> there i will look at the brand!

I knew you were not talking about Sucanat but I was wondering how they differ since Sucanat is marketed as 'evaporated cane juice.' I suspect they evaporate it at a high temp because it tastes burnt. Yours is dried from the Sun smiling smiley

Date: December 10, 2012 06:25PM

I found this: [www.longevitywarehouse.com]

Interestingly, it says no reaction has been reported with those consuming it. The only thing is that it's almost $9 a pound. Coconut nectar crystals are cheaper, I think!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables