Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Psyllium and Bentonite
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 04, 2012 04:52PM

I use these kind of drinks occasionally, when I feel I need to cleanse. To be more precise, I currently use Green Clay and freshly ground flax seeds (I prefer the taste of flax to psyllium; it's less bitter). I take one in the morning then pretty much stick to liquids for the rest of the day; maybe having a light dinner in the evening.

I wondered if anyone else here uses these, and if so what are your preferences?

Cheers xx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 04:53PM by lisa m.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Psyllium and Bentonite
Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:52PM

When I feel like things are a wee bit more backed up, I increase my probiotics.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 05, 2012 09:20AM

I have used these P&B drinks in the past and they are helpful for increasing transit time for occasional use.

But overall Psyllium is quite a harsh fiber, i like rice bran better. Not only is it a better prebiotic, it also has the benefit of being rich in nutrients such as the B vitamins and antioxidants.

Like Pame'laVik'toria, i tend to stick with supporting the gut flora with fermented foods and prebiotics if things have slowed down for any reason. Id take some kefir over these P&B shakes smiling smiley.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: broken580 ()
Date: December 05, 2012 10:42AM

ds on the oil, olive oil and coconut oil are both good oils. A small amount of oils in salad dressings etc certainly does no harm despite what many will say.

Infact a small amount of oils can be good for keeping the gallbladder and bile from stagnating, which can happen with low fat diets longterm.

Buy leather products from leather4sure
leather-jackets-sale [www.leather4sure.com]
leather-jackets-here [www.leather4sure.com]
leather-jackets-buy [www.leather4sure.com]

Date: December 05, 2012 04:42PM

Yes, I love probiotics also - kefir, kombucha, etc. I don't take the P&B shakes because of being'backed up' - as a raw foodist I don't have any problems in that area, lol. I take them more as a detox, for example the clay is said to pull toxins out of the system, eg heavy metals etc.

Date: December 05, 2012 05:00PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I love probiotics also - kefir, kombucha,
> etc. I don't take the P&B shakes because of
> being'backed up' - as a raw foodist I don't have
> any problems in that area, lol. I take them more
> as a detox, for example the clay is said to pull
> toxins out of the system, eg heavy metals etc.

I find clay slows me down too much, it is a powerful chelator though but not that gentle i find and whilst being very mineral rich many clays often have high levels of aluminum and other metals.

The brand that makes LL's clay has the best type of clay in regards to having substantially lower aluminum levels than other clays. I can't remember what its called.

On the topic of LL's clay baths, i did a good few of these last year with great results. Must do another round this new year, i felt very light, more energy, clear headed and just a feeling of being really clean and light overall. They like clay in general are great for chelating heavy metals and other toxic elements.

LL's Magnetic Clay Detox Baths

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 05:05PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 06, 2012 03:33AM

lisa m, the bentonite clays will also pull out minerals out of your digestive system. You might take a look at the microbes I mentioned in a recent probiotic post. These microbes (especially the phototropic purple bacteria) eat toxins for lunch and convert the toxins into nutrients.

Date: December 06, 2012 10:33PM

Hi Powerlifer, I like the thought of clay baths, but don't they clog up your pipes?

Thanks Prana, yes I'm always careful to take them on an empty stomach so they don't interfere with any nutrtion from food I've eaten. Maybe they still pull minerals out though? I only use them occasionally though, like I say. Those microbes sound like handy little critters! Do you by any chance have a link to that thread you mentioned?

Date: December 06, 2012 10:39PM

lisa m, check out raw antibiotic alternative.

Date: December 06, 2012 10:41PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Powerlifer, I like the thought of clay baths,
> but don't they clog up your pipes?
>
> Thanks Prana, yes I'm always careful to take them
> on an empty stomach so they don't interfere with
> any nutrtion from food I've eaten. Maybe they
> still pull minerals out though? I only use them
> occasionally though, like I say. Those microbes
> sound like handy little critters! Do you by any
> chance have a link to that thread you mentioned?

Hey Lisa,

The clay bath packs come with a wee rubber square thing, you need to buy duct tape or insulating tape to tape it down though. So nothing gets out.

I thought they'd be a hassle to clear up but its more like muddy water and all you need is a basin to clear the water afterwards. the clay more sticks to your body than the bath. Sometimes you can actually feel bubbling coming from your skin, its really weird pulling effect. Then the clay thats on your body, starts to go grey and black which i can only assume is some metal or element its pulled from the body as the water and clay on its own doesn't achieve this. I have a past history of heavy metal toxicity though.

I feel really good after them. As to the question about internal clay pulling beneficial minerals, clay as a chelator can do this, but it is very mineral rich itself so this is generally not a huge problem unless you are already very low on some nutrient. Infact clay is extremely rich in minerals such as iron that you have to watch with long term intake. Also the clay can't do two things at once and generally has a higher affinity for heavy metals such as lead and mercury so the majority of the clay binds to these. Best not consumed close to any other supplements or meals. I prefer alginates from brown seaweed extract for gentle and effective heavy metal chelation.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 10:45PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 07, 2012 03:06AM

powerlifer, most bentonite clays contain little absorbable minerals, unless one has a superpowered microbial flora (you might get this from taking the syntropic antioxidant microorganism). On the other hand, these clays (specifically sodium bentonite, calcium bentonite has less of this problem) will absorb the organic minerals that came from living plants in your gut.

From Erroneous Myths about Calcium Bentonite:

4. MYTH: Clays are dietary supplements, like vitamins.
FALSE. Though very small amounts of the dominant minerals (i.e. calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium) in clays might be exchanged in the adsorption ionic exchange layer, they are not sufficient to meet daily supplement requirements.

Date: December 07, 2012 09:17AM

Im not suggesting clay is a good mineral supplement because it is primarily used as a chelator of heavy metals and not as a mineral supplement.

But he very easily cherry picked the minerals here by listing the some of the lowest contained(i.e calcium, magnesium etc) which make up about 1-3% in average montmorillonite clay makeup.

What about minerals such as iron or silica which make up a significant portion of clay by weight, the iron content of clay has the potential to cause excessive iron levels if consumed long term.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 09:21AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 07, 2012 09:49AM

Actually i just re-read his quote back as i was still half asleep, all he was suggesting was that consuming clay wasnt enough to meet daily SUPPLEMENT requirements. Whatever that means, i guess hes referring to a standard RDA.

Id argue otherwise in the case of minerals such as iron though for the reasons stated above. Some doctors who use clay internally have documented this problem.

So other than the iron issue i pretty much agree with what he is saying here because these minerals can't do two things at once. If they are bound to metals they can't also be uptaken by the body for use nutritionally or robbing the bodies own supply because they will already be like i say bound to whatever toxic element that clay has higher affinity for. There will be some beneficial minerals that will be absorbed from clay, and as a substance clay is very mineral rich.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 09:53AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 07, 2012 02:48PM

Prana, thank you for the link smiling smiley Fascinating stuff. I've never heard of them before.. don't think any UK companies sell them. I must admit I feel quite uplifted drinking kefir and kombucha, but sounds like these are even better.

Thanks for the info on the clay guys, interesting discussion.

Date: December 08, 2012 01:29AM

lisa in the UK you might try:

Soil Systems
Chapel Farm, Hill Green
Leckhampstead, NewburyM
Berkshire, RG 20 8RA
United Kingdom
Tel: (0) 1635 248351
+44 1635 248351
Email: info@soilsystems.co.uk

Scd probotics has a list of their european partners.

Date: December 08, 2012 01:57AM

lisa, other syntropic antioxidant microorganism products that are available in europe are EMX Gold and Vita Biosa and EM-1, which you can probably get in the UK if you search via google.

EMX-Gold is a double fermentation, but the microbes have been removed and what you get is a rich subtle energy healing drink. This product is expensive but is a wonderful tonic.

EM-1 is a mother culture, I would not do the activation, that is to make a secondary fermentation from the mother culture, but just drink the mother culture straight.

Vita Biosa is made in Denmark, so you ought to be able to buy it on the internet in the UK.

Date: December 08, 2012 07:01PM

Fantastic, thanks so much for the info Prana smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables