Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Here is what my personal trainer has said... re: Candida / fat / sugars
Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 03:48PM

My trainer has been raw for six years, and vegan for over 25 years, and he told me the following about Candida.

He told me that everyone is told they have candida and to stop eating fruits because it's "Bad" for them. He thinks it's a lie, and the best thing is to eat fruits in the morning, and then for the rest of the day greens and salads, etc. And if you have a long enough time for digested food, that you can eat a fruit or two if you'd like. Also, to sleep between 9:30 - 10:00 PM and get up at 6:00 AM would be the ultimate health for the body. Also to weight train twice a week and not worry about eating nuts, and fatty type of fruits / veggies such as nuts, avocados, etc. Also a smoothie with banana's / coconut meat / coconut water is one of the best way to start your days in the morning if hungry. And that water should always go into your system when you wake up (distilled). The bad sugars are processed sugars found in soft drinks, candy, etc, not in fruit, etc.

What do you all think? For arguments sake, on his end, he has six pack abs, great teeth, huge body, and doesn't smell under the arms, and is disciplined. Something I need to do, ha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here is what my personal trainer has said... re: Candida / fat / sugars
Date: July 19, 2006 03:49PM

And I forgot to mention, getting plenty of sunlight - 20-40 minutes a day, and sun bathing in with shorts on, preferably after 2 pm in the summer time or before 9 am in the morning.

Posted by: Gramlin ()
Date: July 19, 2006 04:50PM

I think that's good news. For me, the best advice I've found is in Patrick Holford's Optimum Nutrition Bible. He recommends giving up fruit for one month only, just to totally starve candida, and after that you can bring it back.

The only point of contention is with bananas, which are fast-burning carbs and turn to sugar rather quickly. Grapes are supposed to contain high amounts of glucose too, so same goes. Perhaps a good idea to leave them a little longer?

But overall I think that sounds like good advice you have, and after I've had my stint of a month or so I'm going to go back to eating apples and pears and strawberries etc.

Dried fruit may need quite a bit longer.

I also think that too many people get told candida too quickly, and it would be stupid to keep avoiding healthy fruit if nothing has improved in a month.

Gram

Date: July 19, 2006 05:05PM

I'm focusing on a lot of greens with the salads, as well as fruits in the morning and letting them fully digest, etc. It's tough because you think about food all the time and think about digestion, and you have to mix and match, but just like anything, this is a lifestyle, just like people eat their meats, etc and have to live their lifestyle, it's the same for us. Anyone else agree with what my personal trainer said? Every day or two days I am going to do inclined push ups (I did 50 and my arms are sore and feel heavy, and good). And shrugs and maybe even some curls if I have the energy. I have no worked out in a white, so I need to bring that back inot my life.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:13PM

Yeah, I think in general it's good advice. Apart from the distilled water bit - I hear bad things about distilled water because it's had all the trace minerals/elements removed - not what we would drink in nature.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:27PM

<and sun bathing in with shorts on>

first no fruit, and now this!!!

winking smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:33PM

fruitgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > and sun bathing in with shorts on
> first no fruit, and now this!!!

Should definatly be sun bathing without shorts on winking smiley

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 19, 2006 09:26PM

seems like good advice to me. It makes sense.
What about the theory that fat causes candida though?

Date: July 19, 2006 09:59PM

He said that basically Candida is a way to get everyone in check. The fact that you cannot eat fruits is "ridiculous". If you eat a good amount of greens in the afternoon, fruits in the morning and stop eating at 6 pm, go to sleep by 9:30 PM and then get up early, you will see a difference in your digestion, energy, etc. And I believe it. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 19, 2006 11:12PM

I met countless raw foodists who cured themselves from candida overgrowth while eating plenty of fruit. This includes me, my son, and my many raw friends. As it was explained in some other posts, candida overgrowth is not caused by eating fruit. It is caused by other, unhealthy eating patterns (cooked food, too much fat), which lower the body ability to digest sugars (which by the way are essential part of our diet). This then leads to too much sugars in our blood, which in turn leads to candida overgrowth. Candida is actually our friend, who eats excess sugar which otherwise could be detrimental to out health. Finally, removing the mentioned causes will allow body to heal, and the body will be able to digest the sugar efficiently. It is as simple as that. Feed your body well and it will be healthy. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 19, 2006 11:36PM

I usually have an avocado with my salad every day. Is that okay, or is that too much fat?

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 20, 2006 12:09AM

My suggestion would be that you listen to your own body, and follow your instinct. It may be quite alright for you to have an avocado a day (my husband eats about that much per day), or you may decide that you fell better with less (as many may do). Your eating patterns are subject to change, of course, and your diet is subject to gradual imrpovements (as long as you are open to them).

For example, in my first few months of raw, I ate LOTS of fat (especially nuts, avoes, seeds). This was a necessary phase in my transition to raw, which helped me to get used to different way of eating. If someone told me then, to dramatically reduce the amount of fat I ate, I probably would hate it, and I definitely could not cope with it. In fact, if someone told me to eat exactly like I eat now (fruit all day, salads in the evening), I really doubt I could do this. I believe that putting too much pressure on oneself can be detrimental to one's progress. I believe that if the change is a forced one as the result of a completely mental process, rather than a spontaneous one as the result of listening to one's body, then coping with such change may be very hard.

Sincerely,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 20, 2006 02:05AM

Mango's are really in season right now, and I was thinking of getting some for a morning mean. How long do the following usually take to digest? Sorry if this has been asked too much in the past...

Apples

Avocado with salad

Mangos

Smoothies (frozen and regular bananas, coconut meat, and coconut water)

Nuts (soaked almonds)

Watermelon

Salad

Thanks.

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:45PM

Your personal trainer sounds awesome. I've become candida balanced by eating plenty of fruit and taking olive leaf capsules. Also, I only drink homemade distilled water.

...say, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your trainer would you? :]

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: July 21, 2006 04:28AM

rawguy2000 -

base your day around starting with more watery fruits (mangoes, melons, grapes, etc) moving toward denser foods (bananas, dates) as the day progresses. if you choose to eat fats like avocado or nuts that day, shoot for including them in your last meal of a large salad, which can combine well with acid fruits like oranges or grapefruit. you may experience discomfort if you eat sweet fruits on top of a meal with nuts or other fats.

re: digestion times -

these numbers are in no way accurate for everyone and are based on my own experience as well as on a chart in T.C. Fry's "Life Science Health System". it varies from person to person, of course, but assuming you eat these items alone and on an empty stomach:

mangoes: about 40 minutes

apples: anywhere from 40-160 minutes

avocado with salad: anywhere from 2-8 hours or more depending on the complexity of the salad (especially if additional nuts/fats are added).

watermelon: about 20 minutes. this holds true for melons in general.

smoothies (bananas and coconut meat): probably anywhere from 2-4 hours, possibly longer if frozen bananas are used?

soaked almonds: 2.5 hours

salad: need to be more specific here. just greens? greens combined with fats? greens combined with fruits? tender greens like romaine and young spinach leaves, or deeper/darker greens like kale?

RawGuy2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mango's are really in season right now, and I was
> thinking of getting some for a morning mean. How
> long do the following usually take to digest?
> Sorry if this has been asked too much in the
> past...
>
> Apples
>
> Avocado with salad
>
> Mangos
>
> Smoothies (frozen and regular bananas, coconut
> meat, and coconut water)
>
> Nuts (soaked almonds)
>
> Watermelon
>
> Salad
>
> Thanks.

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 21, 2006 01:12PM

It doesn`t personally seem logical to me to eat fat at the end of the day when activity level slows down and the body is ready to rest. I know David Wolfe also suggests eating fat at dinner time but I still wonder if fat isn`t better during the afternoon rather than lunch when there is still time to indulge in physical activity?
The amount of raw fat we eat is a lot more than we would in the wild and our activity is a whole lot less...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables