Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If I juiced some greens (like spinach and arugula)
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 09, 2013 12:54AM

would all the protein from it be in the juice? I know the fiber is separated and I am curious if somehow it remains with the pulp.

Instead of eating all that huge pile of greens, an 80/10/10 type could simply drink a green juice, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If I juiced some greens (like spinach and arugula)
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: January 09, 2013 04:38AM

Not really a good idea. Here is what I do.

Do you have a blender? In my blender I put in a banana, or a cup of grapes, or a small amount of other fruit for flavouring only. Then i will throw in quite a bit of kale leaves ( but not the stem ), add 8 oz of water and blend. That gives me about 1 1/2 cups. At other times i will add a stalk of celery to the kale, or i will just use plenty of green outer lettuce leaves and maybe add a small amount of celery or mix and match with whatever is available. In your case you can use your spinach and arugula to add to the fruit.

This is more natural. The blending is simulating the chewing action and you are getting all the fibre, rather than having to throw it out. And as a bonus, you don't have the big job of washing the juicer. Just rinse the blender in warm to hot water and occasionally give it a good clean. This way if you want to have your greens twice a day, it only takes a couple of minutes.

Date: January 09, 2013 11:50PM

Yes, I have a Vitamix. I have made green smoothies. However, I want to start the day with something that goes right into my system. I get that there is a fiber waste and I am not crazy about that aspect, however I am doing something for at least the short term where I want to take green juices every day. I was asking if the protein is all intact in the juice.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: January 10, 2013 12:32AM

If you are just doing it for the short term, why worry about protein? You are not going to die or get protein deficient in a few days or weeks, or even a month or two. If you are doing it for cleansing then the issue of protein isn't a problem either. Just have your green juices in the mornings and don't get too hung up on such small issues. Most of us have gone through that stage - trying to analyze and micro manage every little thing. I'm just trying to simplify things so you can skip a lot of the unnecessary stages. Just drink your green juices and don't worry about anything.

Date: January 10, 2013 12:46AM

So is the answer that the protein remains in the juice? Sorry if this is a silly question and yes, I realize that protein needs are much lower than most think. I just would like to know if this is the case.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 10, 2013 03:55AM

Sometimes the juice has more protein % from calories than the whole food.

For example, carrots. Carrots whole and raw have 6% calories from protein. However, fresh carrot juice has 12% calories from protein.

[nutritiondata.self.com]

[nutritiondata.self.com]

I am unable to find data on spinach and other green juices.

HOwever, wheatgrass has 27% calories from protein.

Even if you look at fresh orange juice, it has 6% calories from protein; fresh raw oranges have the same.

Keep in mind that green juices are usually low in calories and the more sweet fruits you add, the more calories. It's important to get enough calories in. I think green juicing on a high-fruit diet is fine. smiling smiley I do it sometimes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables