Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

workout
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 03, 2013 09:15PM

how much do you workout? I am interested in hearing others workout schedule.

I think I might be doing more harm to myself by working out so much.

Maybe going back to yoga would help me to be more balanced??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: workout
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 04, 2013 07:15PM

weight training may do harm to your joints. stick with cardio

I train 4 times a week hard

Date: January 05, 2013 03:44AM

agreed. Thanks. Weight training is not doing anything but making me miserable in truth.

I love cardio and yoga.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 06, 2013 10:12AM

Weight training is very good for increasing bone density, women tend to be more prone to diseases such as osteoporosis for a number of reasons, so weight training can be helpful for supporting bone health if done properly.

I strength train/weight lift 3 times a week, full body workouts mostly focused around compound exercises such as bench press, deadlift, squats etc.

I train Muay Thai twice a week and some football also, more than covers my cardio. Id love to get into yoga, ive done some dvd's in the past but i think im going to check a class out. Tai Chi or Chi Kung also id love to try properly.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 10:13AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: January 06, 2013 07:02PM

How long have you been weight training? Can you provide a sample workout?

michelemm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> agreed. Thanks. Weight training is not doing
> anything but making me miserable in truth.
>
> I love cardio and yoga.

Date: January 06, 2013 07:15PM

Really? Links to studies regarding weight-lifting and joint problems? Like any exercise, all kinds of things can go wrong with weight-lifting if you do it wrong. Cardio is great, but outside of swimming I wouldn't recommend too much of it if you're concerned about your joints.

I lift weights, do yoga, and go for long walks in the hills. I was a serious competitive swimmer as a hunky young Speedo wearing teen jock. As a result, I'm a bit burned out on heavy cardio but do recommend that everyone go through a period where they achieve optimal cardio fitness. IMO, a good combo of weight training, cardio, and stretching is aces.

Weightlifting is incredibly beneficial to women. [www.bodybuilding.com]

Panchito Wrote:
> weight training may do harm to your joints. stick
> with cardio
>
> I train 4 times a week hard

Date: January 06, 2013 07:27PM

Joint problems and injuries can be majorly reduced by warming up properly. You will be surprised how many people don't even warm up at all and just go straight into lifting.

Not only is this very dangerous, it increases your risk of injury and problems substantially.

For the wrists i like the Powerball, its a little gyroscope ball and is very effective for warming the wrists up. Also good for strengthening the wrist in general.

EDIT: Good link HH.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 07:31PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 07, 2013 12:21AM

Yep. When I say "do it wrong" I first and foremost mean don't warm up. You have to warm up.

powerlifer Wrote:
> Joint problems and injuries can be majorly reduced
> by warming up properly. You will be surprised how
> many people don't even warm up at all and just go
> straight into lifting.
>
> Not only is this very dangerous, it increases your
> risk of injury and problems substantially.
>
> For the wrists i like the Powerball, its a little
> gyroscope ball and is very effective for warming
> the wrists up. Also good for strengthening the
> wrist in general.
>
> EDIT: Good link HH.
>
> [www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: January 07, 2013 10:15AM

HH Wrote:
> Really? Links to studies regarding weight-lifting
> and joint problems?

all you got to do is ask people in the gyn (shoulder, knees, etc). litterature will hide the problems because they want to promote it. bodybuilding isolates the muscles in unnatural ways. Instead, you want to use groups of muscles working together. don't use machines that lock you up.

As always, believe what you want.

Date: January 07, 2013 10:30AM

That isn't necessarily true Panchito, mostly because people do weight lifting wrong i.e mostly focusing on isolation exercises such as dumbell curls.

Proper weight lifting routines consist mostly around compound multi-joint exercises. Many of these lifts mimic motions we use in daily life and as such are considered functional movements. Compound exercises work a number of muscles to achieve the movement.

Joint problems are common with serious weight lifters but they can be minimized. A moderate strength training routine for someone with healthy joints actually helps increase bone density and improves the stabilization and strength of surrounding muscles.

Machines are not the same as free weights either. Machines restrict your full range of motion and they don't strengthen the stabilizer muscles, so not something id recommend focusing your whole workout around.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 10:41AM by powerlifer.

Date: January 07, 2013 01:18PM

hey PL. I do some weight lifting myself smiling smiley but I don't use heavy weights. I say this, do it and if you feel pain in the joints, don't ask for help to the 'professional body builder. Instead consider the inherent flaws of a possible locked motion. Many muscles just are there to support other muscles and create stability. Tendons become stronger when exercising groups of muscles. If you isolate a muscle, its tendons may not be that strong and you can accumulate damage with time

Date: January 07, 2013 02:22PM

Exactly. This isn't the 1980s. The advances in the way we currently lift weights are amazing. As someone who last lifted in the 80s before starting again 2 years ago, I'm blown away by the way things have evolved. It's fantastic. I'm in better shape at 45 than I was at 20, and I was in good shape at 20. Much of this is attributable to my weight program and cardio and stretching. I don't believe that weightlifting is perfect either. We could easily find negative things to say about any exercise. 2 of my best-friends recently gave up long-term running careers in an attempt to quiet their restless leg syndrome. Within a week of not running, the problem had disappeared in both, but that's just them.

powerlifer Wrote:
> That isn't necessarily true Panchito, mostly
> because people do weight lifting wrong i.e mostly
> focusing on isolation exercises such as dumbell
> curls.
>
> Proper weight lifting routines consist mostly
> around compound multi-joint exercises. Many of
> these lifts mimic motions we use in daily life and
> as such are considered functional movements.
> Compound exercises work a number of muscles to
> achieve the movement.
>
> Joint problems are common with serious weight
> lifters but they can be minimized. A moderate
> strength training routine for someone with healthy
> joints actually helps increase bone density and
> improves the stabilization and strength of
> surrounding muscles.
>
> Machines are not the same as free weights either.
> Machines restrict your full range of motion and
> they don't strengthen the stabilizer muscles, so
> not something id recommend focusing your whole
> workout around.
>
> [www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: January 07, 2013 02:45PM

Have they looked into low magnesium as being as possible cause of restless leg syndrome HH ?. I know low magnesium is what caused my restless leg problems. Low magnesium is common in those who heavily exercise.

Cardiovascular exercise like you say is just as notorious for joint and knee problems. Especially those who are heavily into the cardio, your always hearing of runners with IT band problems, or knee joint issues etc. IT band friction syndrome is no fun and hindered my martial arts training for a few years, which was caused by my excessive cardio and running. Again though these problems can be reduced by stretching, warming up and cooling down properly, all of which i used to ignore due to laziness.

Pro bodybuilders get a bad rep probably due to the steroids and gear, but its the name of the game in professional bodybuilding sadly. Professional bodybuilders know how to train properly and know the importance of focusing largely on the compound exercises, as these are the exercises which allow us to lift the heaviest loads and thus tend to be the most effective for building mass and strength.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 02:47PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 08, 2013 12:02AM

Thanks for the discussion and posts. However, I still feel more balanced without the weight lifting and using yoga as my strength training.

I wonder if it was the step aerobics, though? Maybe that was why I felt horrible and not the weight training?

I always warm up and cool down though.

Date: January 09, 2013 12:17AM

That's a good point and I did buy one of them a bottle of Ancient Minerals magnesium oil. She claimed that it did nothing for her and also complained about the way it felt on her skin. I doubt she put in the commitment to it to get any real results. I love magnesium oil. Now she does tabata, yoga, lifts weights, and is very into her rebounder. Also walks. Still has no issue with restless legs and appears very happy with the change in exercise program. I've been showing her how to get max results with less time commitment while adding in herbs and a balanced diet filled with organic, nutrient dense foods. Even says that the libido is way up. She looks a lot better, in my opinion at least. Stronger and more defined with great color to her skin.

powerlifer Wrote:
> Have they looked into low magnesium as being as
> possible cause of restless leg syndrome HH ?. I
> know low magnesium is what caused my restless leg
> problems. Low magnesium is common in those who
> heavily exercise.
>
> Cardiovascular exercise like you say is just as
> notorious for joint and knee problems. Especially
> those who are heavily into the cardio, your always
> hearing of runners with IT band problems, or knee
> joint issues etc. IT band friction syndrome is no
> fun and hindered my martial arts training for a
> few years, which was caused by my excessive cardio
> and running. Again though these problems can be
> reduced by stretching, warming up and cooling down
> properly, all of which i used to ignore due to
> laziness.
>
> Pro bodybuilders get a bad rep probably due to the
> steroids and gear, but its the name of the game in
> professional bodybuilding sadly. Professional
> bodybuilders know how to train properly and know
> the importance of focusing largely on the compound
> exercises, as these are the exercises which allow
> us to lift the heaviest loads and thus tend to be
> the most effective for building mass and strength.
>
>
> [www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 09, 2013 12:48AM

What's tabata? Never heard of it...

Date: January 09, 2013 04:25PM

Ever heard of google? Just kidding. smiling smiley Here ya go...[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 10, 2013 04:36AM

If balance if what you want in a workout, variety is the key.

I think Bruce Lee would be the perfect example of a someone who used a balanced workout to achieve incredible results.

After making The Green Hornet in 1967, Lee was disappointed with the results of an all martial arts and yoga workout. In order to increase his strength and speed, he added weightlifting, massive amounts of sit-ups and a HIIT form of interval sprint running to his training. That's how he achieved the look in this famous photo:

[en.wikipedia.org]

In my 50's, I may never look like that, but trying can't hurt, and that photo is my inspiration since I started working out intensely last year.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 10, 2013 04:57AM

I Forgot to add my workout.

20 to 40 minutes of yoga 6 days a week for flexibility and strength (Lots of downward dogs) holding positions long for strength.

I just started light lifting. Squats mostly, 3 days a week.

I did my first HIIT sprints on a hill this week and got my butt kicked. I plan on doing that 2 times a week

I work with my own body weight a lot. My new thing is holding a "L-seat" in 90 degree pull-up, chin-up and dip positions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables