Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vega Bars
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:43PM

So, I want to know long term raw people if eating vega bars during my transition is appropiate? I really enjoy them and they are low fat, gluten free, dairy free and they fill me up. However, they do combine rice in the product, so I am not sure if this is ok.

Typically, I am grain free, but it seems like the bar helps me to not want to eat meat.

Of course, I think I will get sick of them soon enough, but just wondering if I should stop eating them as it may not be helpful to me in the long run.

I still have trouble digesting fruits... but I do eat a ton of veggies.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vega Bars
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 12, 2013 02:50AM

If they work for you, eat them. No judgments or worries. smiling smiley Your journey is yours. Better to eat rice than harm animals.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: January 12, 2013 04:25AM

I see nothing wrong with those at all. I'm going to try these out since you mentioned that they help with meat cravings.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:09AM

I see no problem with wholefood based bars also. I always check to make sure they don't contain any high fructose corn syrups.

Vega is a good brand. I use to like Nakd's raw cashew cookie bar but it seems to have changed recently and although the ingredients only list dates and cashew i suspect they've added some glucose syrup or something. Very artificial tasting compared to how nice they were before.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 09:12AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 12, 2013 01:26PM

They probably help at first as a transition aid. With time, you want to achieve a stable diet based on non manufactured products. Once you figure out how much to eat to keep you satisfied, you will not feel attracted to candy bars, etc.

Date: January 12, 2013 04:07PM

A wholefood based bar isn't the same as a candy bar though. Although its best to always check the ingredients as many manufacturers will sneak in high fructose corn syrups and other less desirable ingredients. Id include agave syrup in that.

These days i tend to just make them myself because its cheaper some nuts, seeds, dates etc, blend in a high powered blender and you have your own wholefood bars.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 04:09PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 12, 2013 04:26PM

If it is a manufactured bar, then it probably has some powders to make it last longer on the shelf in order to sell it. If the bars not fresh, then they probably degrade and stale without those powders. Fats and sugars, though appetizing, don't mix well either, and they make create pasty blocks which may create gas and bloating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 04:30PM by Panchito.

Date: January 12, 2013 04:52PM

If they do have synthetic preservatives then they aren't listed anywhere on the ingredients, same with the nakd bars which claim to only be dates and cashews(ingredients listed by percentage).

Either way im not going to feel guilty about consuming a wholefood bar once in a while. They can be a good source of calories whilst traveling, id rather tuck into a vega bar then get stuck on the road and end up eating something less desirable and will likely contain gluten/wheat which im intolerant too.

I have no problems with digestion or striving for dietary purity these days, so i can tolerate most food combinations with ease, as long as i don't over indulge.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 05:02PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: January 13, 2013 12:45AM

It's true that there appears to be nothing malevolent about Vega Bars. Just go to their site and read the ingredients. I'm not the biggest fan of mung beans but that's a personal thing.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: January 13, 2013 07:33PM

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's true that there appears to be nothing
> malevolent about Vega Bars. Just go to their site
> and read the ingredients. I'm not the biggest fan
> of mung beans but that's a personal thing.

Perfect. I am glad you guys are in agreement. I am probably only going to limit once in a while, but I do think they are wholesome and nutritious in general.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables