Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Disappearing Food Allergies?
Posted by: jennglenn ()
Date: January 15, 2013 06:54PM

Hello all!
I've just begun my raw vegan journey yesterday. As a child, I had very few, if any, allergies or intolerance. As an adult however, I find I can not eat avocados, eggs, or certain types of cheeses (ricotta, feta, anything crumbly) without having the most awful stomach and back pain of my life. When I eat them, the only way to get rid of the pain is to sleep it off for about 5 hours. The common factor between these foods is high fat, but I have not been able to find any other correlation. I was vegan for many years, so it was easy to avoid them.
While I do not plan on going back to eating eggs or cheese, I miss avocados immensely! Has anyone ever had the experience of intolerance/allergies disappearing after going raw? Thanks in advance!
JG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disappearing Food Allergies?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:24PM

If you cannot tolerate fats then it may be a problem with digestion such as bile insufficiency which is very common.

It is better to correct digestion than to avoid fats completely. A moderate amount of the right fats is needed to maintain optimal health.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: jennglenn ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:38PM

Definitely, I still get plenty of fat from nuts and olive or coconut oil, and do not get sick at all. It was only when I would eat certain cheeses and eggs in scrambles/omelets would I get sick (mozarella and cheddar were fine, and eggs in baked goods I could tolerate also). Avocados in any form make me sick though. sad smiley

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: January 16, 2013 04:48AM

I'd see a qualified naturopath if I were you--there may be other issues you aren't aware of.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 16, 2013 08:39AM

Doesn't sound like a problem with fat absorption then which is good.

The only other potential issues i can think of is that eggs are a common allergen as is dairy. It could be a digestive issue though seeing as you tolerate eggs through baked goods.

I just re-read your post, i actually had the same problem with standard cheddar cheese, the back pain was unbelievable, i actually used to sometimes be doubled over in pain it was so bad. I believe this was due to intestinal flora imbalances and low stomach acid.

Funny you mention it but eggs in there full form also caused me problems at the time. As to allergies, as adrenal function improves allergies often disappear. This is how we can be born with allergies or asthma for example but many often grow out of it, as there adrenal glands mature.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 08:40AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 16, 2013 08:59AM

People who continue with the raw diet often find their food allergies disappearing. I've heard of people who were allergic to certain fruits, who after some time, lost the allergy.

So perhaps you allergy to avos will disappear after a while.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 16, 2013 03:53PM

It's certainly possible. When an allergen is absent in a person's diet, it allows the immune system to rest and sometimes reset. My son's allergist has said this may even be possible for strong allergies such as tree nuts. We are going to retest him next year and see what the reaction is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables