Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Freezing food
Posted by: CindyDickerson ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:48PM

I am very new to the raw community and I have a very elementary question. Does freezing kill the enzymes in my vegetables? I have believed in eating raw for many years, but now that I have found this website, I will be able to do so properly!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freezing food
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 05:00PM

Hi Cindy,

I am brand new to eating Raw also (just started a few weeks ago). I, too, have this question but just keep forgetting to ask. So, glad you asked it.

Have you started eating raw yet or are you just gathering information at this point?

You might get some good out of the thread I started a couple of days before I went raw. I forget the exact title of the thread, but it's something like "What to expect when going Raw". I asked and am still asking alot of questions as I knew very very little about how to do this whole thing.

Seems that many here really like the 80/10/10 diet. I haven't gotten the book yet, but Douglas Graham wrote a book with that same title "80/10/10"

Ask tons of questions. Folks here are very kind and very helpful.

Mindy

Posted by: CindyDickerson ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:00PM

I apologize of this subject is silly to the professionals out there, but it is real to me. Does anyone know the answer?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:15PM

The enzymes are dead. However, the enzyme theory of raw foods is incorrect, and has never been proven. What is true about raw foods in general is that they contain way less toxins than cooked foods, plus nutrients are destroyed in the cooking process.

In freezing foods, the main nutrient that is harmed is fiber, as fiber walls break down after freezing. However, no toxins are introduced in the freezing process, and most other nutrients stay intact.

So frozen foods, while not as great as fresh foods, are not as harmful as cooked foods.

In the winter time, I used frozen strawberries for my banana strawberry smoothies. I and enjoy frozen durian from time to time. Foods that are high in fat, say like durian or avocado, hold up well to freezing. This is why stores can sell frozen guacamole, and it doesn't seem to loose it texture or taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 09:26PM by Prana.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables