Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Soy Sauce Substitute
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 08, 2013 08:17PM

What do you all think?

Does this sound healthy and ok??

[www.youtube.com]

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Soy Sauce Substitute
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 08, 2013 10:56PM

His recipe is loaded with salt.

He just contaminated the whole thing when he double-dipped to taste it.

I would just cut out the soy sauce/miso and salt totally and use sea vegetables for seasoning and savoriness.

But I like the guy and his videos.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:24AM

Has anyone used those coconut aminos? I was wondering if the taste is comparable to Braggs.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:33AM

I have used coconut aminos (not nec. for me, but for recipes made for others that call for bragg's/shoyu). it has a similar taste but it's also different. if you're mixing in something, i don't htink people will be able to tell. but if it's alone, you can tell the difference. smiling smiley

Date: March 09, 2013 12:34AM

I've wondered about Coconut Aminos too banana.

I'm not worried about the salt as I use Celtic and I wouldn't be ingesting it all in 1 sitting. The amt he put in was for the entire bottle, soo....

Mindy

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:45AM

One tablespoon is a lot of salt. Another option would be to use sundried tomatoes, ones that are low sodium, blend with some citrus (say tangerine or orange), and use that as a ketchup. You want to use a vegetable that is high in glutamates to replace the soy sauce experience, but also seeing if you can reduce the sodium intake. The following veggies are high in glutamates:

* Tomatoes
* Shiitake mushrooms
* Enokitake mushrooms
* Truffles
* Soy beans
* Potatoes
* Sweet potatoes
* Chinese cabbage
* Carrots

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:51AM

Utopian Life, can you describe the flavor? I was attracted to the raw aspect but it's more expensive than Braggs! And I was a bit confused as to how salty umami flavor is extracted from a coconut.

Date: March 09, 2013 12:53AM

So, Prana even if I am using Celtic or Himalayan Salt, it is still just as bad for me as table salt? I thought that using these was much better and even good for me with all the trace minerals in them. No??

Thanks!

Mindy

Date: March 09, 2013 12:54AM

It's not really describeable, not like anything else I've ever had. I would say it's salty, though.

Date: March 09, 2013 12:54AM

Sorry I'm not more help. sad smiley

I think all salts are the same and don't recommend including them regularly.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:34PM

Sorry to keep harping on the salt thing, but what, exactly, is it in celtic salt, let's say, that is bad?....

Mindy

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 10, 2013 09:40PM

The salts you mention are fine in moderate and sensible amounts Mindy and i believe they are healthy, good sources of trace and ultra trace elements which are hard to come by from land plant sources and often deficient.

I like himalayan salt being that its a mined salt and has less heavy metals.

Seaweeds are also a good source of these trace elements.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 09:41PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 10, 2013 11:02PM

Dehydration, for one.

Date: March 11, 2013 01:29AM

Ok. I guess that I am truly massively addicted to salt, because some things, to me, do not, at ALL taste as good without it. One eg. Guacamole.

I am not ready to give it up yet, but if I feel, later that I need to, I will. I am doing sooo many new things already and struggling so desperately that I'm not sure I could handle it just now.

Mindy

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:18AM

Mindy,

If something doesn't taste good to you unless you add salt, perhaps you ought not to eat that thing. Then you can find something else to eat that does taste good without the salt.

Date: March 11, 2013 06:58AM

Hadn't thought about that, Prana. Hmmm.....

Food for thought. ha!

Mindy

Date: March 11, 2013 09:26AM

If your diet is free of processed food which it likely is if your eating raw, then you likely won't be getting much sodium elsewhere unless you are eating a good serving of celery or other sodium rich vegetables each day.

So i wouldn't worry about the tiny amount of salt that some recipes call for, especially from an unrefined trace element salt such as celtic sea salt going into recipes such as guacamole.

If your diet is rich in potassium like many raw diets are, then you might even have an increased need for sodium. High potassium diets act as a natural diuretic by displacing sodium.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 09:27AM by powerlifer.

Date: March 11, 2013 03:02PM

In my experience, raw recipes do contain a lot of salt, from 1/4 tsp. to 1/4 tablespoon per serving. And also agree with Prana

Date: March 11, 2013 03:15PM

1/4 teaspoon or a pinch is not excessive in my opinion especially for a full recipe which you will likely eat 1 bar or 1 portion from.

Even so for a healthy individual a 1/4 teaspoon of salt a day is fine in my opinion, if from an unrefined trace element rich salt. If you are eating a healthy, clean diet you really don't need to worry about minute amounts of salt. Infact you should probably be worried about getting enough sodium, in the case of most raw diets which are far too rich in potassium and often low in sodium by comparison.

Salt only becomes a problem in large, excessive amounts and this usually happens through eating too much processed foods, where it is hidden in abundance. Healthy raw foodists really shouldn't be worrying about a pinch of mineral rich salts.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 03:23PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 11, 2013 08:24PM

If you read my post, I said 1/4 tsp. per SERVING, not per recipe or per day. I agree with you that 1/4 tsp. per day per person isn't too bad, but that doesn't mean it's good or ideal. I think weaning oneself off of salt is best, and getting sodium from real food is pretty easy, IMO.

Date: March 11, 2013 08:33PM

I don't view salt as a bad thing used sensibly, so i don't really see any need to have to wean off it so to say.

What recipes are you making that require a 1/4 tablespoon per serving out of interest?. Pretty much every raw recipe ive come across has called for sensible amounts of salt, usually just enough to season the dish.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 08:43PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 11, 2013 09:21PM

Some were Ani Phyo recipes, and in addition to high amounts of salt, called for 1 cup of olive oil for 4 servings. I can't name the specific ones or authors right now as all of my books are packed away for a move.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables