Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Receeding gums
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: March 04, 2013 04:53PM

Hey all

Does going raw help with receeding gums? Or... anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent it further?

Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Receeding gums
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 04, 2013 05:35PM

Hi Michelemm,

Not sure if it helps, but Vitamin C (fruits) is what makes collagen. Collagen in turn is what makes connective tissue like gums. Our body uses collagen for many many things and without the its source of fruits, we would all be weak.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 04, 2013 06:44PM

Receding gums can be symptom of gum disease and id advise you to find a good dentist before it progresses any further if this is the case.

Initially it started as simply bleeding gums for me but left untreated progressed to periodontal disease which caused loose teeth, inflamed and receding gums, which is said to be un-curable but i guess ive proved that theory wrong.

Its about understanding and finding out the underlying causes of these conditions. This is the tricky bit, its very easy to see the pattern of symptoms that occur with periodontal disease but finding out the cause is another thing and can take lots of trial and error. Opportunistic bacteria which eventually causes inflammation is one common cause. Co-enzyme q10 can be helpful for some and studies have shown that many with gum disease have a deficiency in q10.

When inflammation is involved it is always wise to assess adrenal gland health, which produce the bodies own natural anti-inflammatory steroid hormones. Another area to check would be dietary omega 3 and 6 balance, which will need to be corrected if an issue.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 06:47PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 06, 2013 05:37PM

maybe try oil pulling?

[oilpulling.com]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: March 07, 2013 01:16AM

Of coarse raw will help prevent this issue, anything that stimulates and rebuids the immune system helps. Like powerlifer said get help! but get it from a good dentist, with knowlege of holistic pratices if you can afford.
This product has get the seal of approval from HHI and should be at the top of your list of things to use. [www.bioprodental.com]
Until then you might gargle with a seasalt and water solution to help infection. Don't quote me on this though I'm not a doctor, read up on it before you try. I don't know if you have issues with salt either. Looks like powerlifer has had a lot of experience with this! connect with him. It's always amazing to me how much we abuse our bodies until we get really sick and then we are like, holy @#$#$ Dam humans are stupid arn't we? Just imagine if we did'nt have all these toxins and emotional issues to deal with how long we would live. And we would gain lots of wisdom being around for so long to pass on to the next generations. I see now that they don't have the ingredients there. There are an impressive amount though as I remember, and it has Q-10 in it, of coarse you be doing it orally also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:20AM by rzman10001.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 07, 2013 06:32PM

I guess it's commonplace for dentists to tell us that gum dis-ease is permanent. Besides being totally defeating, it's also patently FALSE. And yet these people scare patients into procedures that MAY increase mouth and gum irritation and create more problems.

Alkalinity is the antidote to cavities and lack of healthy gums.

Posted by: Sue_says_hi ()
Date: March 10, 2013 05:57PM

Hi Michelemm

I just want to let you know that my hubby, who is 54yo, has had this problem since his early twenties, and his gums were receded quite badly at that early age. He was very worried but after all these years his teeth and gums are still OK. What works for him is to keep his teeth and gums perfectly clean. He flosses every day and brushes gently twice daily. He can not drink soft drinks at all and finds that most fruit also upset his gums. He gets around the fruit thing by juicing the fruit and drinking it slowly through a straw so it does not have as much contact with his teeth or gums.

I agree with powerlifer that it is very important to see the dentist. My hubby gets measurements taken with a special tool each year so the dentist can see if the problem is getting worse and so far all is OK and he has been doing fine for years and years.

Cheers, Sue

Date: March 11, 2013 12:42PM

talking from personal experience, a dentist is NEVER going to fix the problem. He/she is going to selll his services (cleaning, etc). They never going to talk about the cause. It wasn't till I went raw and ate lots of fresh vit C that I didn't have bleeding gums. But! vit C is not going to cure everybody. Some people cannot be cured because they think their own mental bubble is the gospel of truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 12:48PM by Panchito.

Date: March 11, 2013 01:03PM

Yeah but at the same time when someones gum disease has progressed to the point of periodontal disease, then many of the treatments such as deep cleaning and such can be very helpful in the fight or to at least stop it progressing.

Curing gingivitis and bleeding gums is easy and in many cases is related to deficiencies such as vitamin C, periodontal disease on the other hand isn't easy to cure, so treatments to stop the progression are vital.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 01:08PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 11, 2013 01:33PM

they did deep cleaning to me! my advice is to avoid it at all cost. Treat the problem from the inside out (starting with diet). All the tissue needs vitality to fender aginst bacteria, etc. It needs to rebuild and vit C (fresh from fruit, orange juice, pineapple, never synthetic ascorbic acid) is the KING imho. Once the tissue is healthy, no problems appear. Even I have free dental services, I don't go there because they scratch my teeth while cleaning, etc. I would only go when I need to (cavities).

Date: March 11, 2013 03:21PM

I agree about treating the problem internally but unfortunately periodontal disease is more complicated than simply restoring vitamin C through natural foods. Although good diet and dental hygiene play a massive role and are essential for general health.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 13, 2013 05:09PM

I agree with Panchito. It may require more than Vitamin C, but the way they scrape and treat your gums/teeth so roughly, I doubt it is making things better. I believe my gums became MORE exposed and sensitive after their "cleanings." eye rolling smiley

Date: March 14, 2013 05:12PM

I just came across this:

[www.amazon.com]

The ingredient list is:

peppermint, spearmint, and almond oil

which suggest one could benefit from these in raw form to get rid of the layer of bacteria

Date: March 14, 2013 05:48PM

I would also check out this book:

[www.amazon.com]

the comments are good. There is good and bad mouth bacteria (like flora). You would want to chew vegetables after acidic fruits to return to an alkaline state.

Date: March 14, 2013 06:39PM

Hi

Thanks! the first link looks great but way too expensive for me right now.

I might order that book thoughsmiling smiley

I am determined o get back to a healthy state with my teeth it can be done.

I also think cutting back on the fish and eventually, doing away with it will help. Lots of veggiessss.... little fruit works for me.

Date: March 14, 2013 06:51PM

Hi michelemm.

there was one reviewer who makes his own (by mixing ingridients). Or you could buy it fresh at the grocery store and chew. Or make a mouth wash

[www.amazon.com] $3.75
[www.amazon.com] $3.31

But haven't tried myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 06:52PM by Panchito.

Date: March 14, 2013 06:53PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi michelemm.
>
> there was one reviewer who makes his own (by
> mixing ingridients). Or you could buy it fresh at
> the grocery store and chew. Or make a mouth wash
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> $3.75
> [www.amazon.com]
> al/dp/B000OSUJH2 $3.31
>
> But haven't tried myself.

Nice. Thanks. I will try... I am very much into making things on my own nowadays.

How is life?

Date: March 14, 2013 06:57PM

life is simple and good

I would read the reviews. Some are about proffessional dentists getting pissed of if you cure your teeth without their expensive surgery. They set you up slowly for the big cash...

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:52PM

One thing I do every time I eat and wash my mouth is to massage my gums with my index finger. I had many issues with my gum but this simple daily routine has stopped them all. Gum exercise stimulate blood flow and is good for your teeth too. I also do oil pulling.
[www.wikihow.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 01:59PM by madinah.

Date: March 16, 2013 05:52PM

Like i say though be careful with self treatment, Periodontal disease such as Periodontitis is not only very serious but much more complicated than simply eating more vitamin C foods and taking anti-bacterial herbs/mouthwashes/oils etc. Although these will likely play a role in treatment.

There is now evidence to suggest the Periodontitis is an auto-immune disease and with any complex disorder like this its always best to have guidance from a professional. Not all dentists are butchers and con-artists, look for a naturopathic guided dentist if you can.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 05:53PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 17, 2013 02:11PM

the body should heal itself once the damaging condition is eliminated. Causes could be tricky. I would try this:

used a very soft tooth brush that avoids eating away enamel.

brush and FLOSS after meals. I think bacteria hides between teeth.

If possible, use a water irrigator too.

if using tooth paste, get something like Tom's of Maine fluoride free (easy to find at supermarkets. Or try different tooth pastes and learn how they make your mouth feel.

Avoid powerful chemicals. They weaken the cells you are trying to bring to life.

Eat vit C. If you use fresh oranges be careful with the acid. 90% of the time the oranges are unripe. An idea is to use a straw to avoid getting the acid in the teeth.

Use or chew natural foods that combact bacteria.

Be patient and observe changes. for example, if gum bleeding stop after flossing, then you are in the good track.

Take sun baths or D3 supplement.

Most specially, pay attention of how foods make your teeth feel. throw away all reasons and go by feeling.

I've heard about using a 2 part baking soda and 1 part salt solution. Baking soda rises ph (good) and salt is antibacterial.

massage gums with finger or using a gum stimulator. Expending extra time here would speed up recovery.

believe your body has the knowledge to heal itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 02:13PM by Panchito.

Date: March 17, 2013 03:09PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the body should heal itself once the damaging
> condition is eliminated. Causes could be tricky. I
> would try this:
>
> used a very soft tooth brush that avoids eating
> away enamel.
>
> brush and FLOSS after meals. I think bacteria
> hides between teeth.
>
> If possible, use a water irrigator too.
>
> if using tooth paste, get something like Tom's of
> Maine fluoride free (easy to find at supermarkets.
> Or try different tooth pastes and learn how they
> make your mouth feel.
>
> Avoid powerful chemicals. They weaken the cells
> you are trying to bring to life.
>
> Eat vit C. If you use fresh oranges be careful
> with the acid. 90% of the time the oranges are
> unripe. An idea is to use a straw to avoid getting
> the acid in the teeth.
>
> Use or chew natural foods that combact bacteria.
>
> Be patient and observe changes. for example, if
> gum bleeding stop after flossing, then you are in
> the good track.
>
> Take sun baths or D3 supplement.
>
> Most specially, pay attention of how foods make
> your teeth feel. throw away all reasons and go by
> feeling.
>
> I've heard about using a 2 part baking soda and 1
> part salt solution. Baking soda rises ph (good)
> and salt is antibacterial.
>
> massage gums with finger or using a gum
> stimulator. Expending extra time here would speed
> up recovery.
>
> believe your body has the knowledge to heal
> itself.

Thank you so much! I am taking and doing alot of your suggestions now. Things feel better.

It will still take some time to heal though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables