Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why raw food is good for the teeth
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:25PM

Hi.

I happened to roder this book, Kiss your dentist Goodbye:

[www.amazon.com]

Some quick points. It has the trick for good teeth. The trick is all in the saliva. Other animals don't have our problems because of their saliva. You could brush your teeth 12 times a day and still have tons of problems. Dry teeth are bad. We need the salive coating the teeth. the saliva needs to be with a ph of 7 or higher. If it falls bellow 6 thats bad news.

TEST the PH of your mouth in the morning when you wake up. Spit and use a paper strip.

Diet very important. The saliva is what remineralizes the teeth. If it is acidic it demineralizes the teeth. Some foods can have a ph of only 2.2 (super acidic). the acid will dammage the enamel. Sugars do not harm teeth. Just like there is good flora, there is good bacteria for the mouth. Acidic saliva attracts the bad type of destructive bacteria (and weakens the web of enamel). Alkaline saliva brings or helps colize the mouth with good type of bacteria. As a raw foodist your saliva should be alkaline. The foods that alkalinize the body aldo do it for the saliva. Vegetables leave the saliva alkaline. If you eat acidic fruits, eat some veggies as desert. Always remove citrus from teeth. breathing with mouth open is bad as it dries the teeth (no saliva). Hormonal changes can make the saliva more acidic. Taking vitamins make saliva alkaline. Being relax makes the saliva more alkaline. Do your own testing. Relaxation makes the saliva alkaline. Do regular readings. Teeth recover. They are soft inside. Acid reflux bad. Medications bad. poor nutrition bad. Just about averything we recomend here is good. Some beverages bad. Sodas bad. Coffee bad.

Fluoride makes stronger (harder) and shinier enamel. It is a catalyst (speed up remeralization) but also a food poison. Without fluoride the enamel has wider gaps and it stains easy.

more tricks to come as I just started reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 05:32PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why raw food is good for the teeth
Date: March 25, 2013 02:16PM

as we age saliva becomes weaker (also for those on medications). The dryer the mouth the longer the acid will remain on the teeth. It has nothing to do with frequent people brush. The first place to notice damage is in surface of the back of the molar teeth. This is the first sign of an acidic mouth. Eating frequent but small amounts of acid is a lot worse than eating large but big amounts of acid.

HEALTHY PLAQUE. Harmful germs only exists when a shift in mouth chemistry encourages acid producing bacteria to grow. Professional cleaning cannot protect against bad chemistry. Alkaline plaque protects. Germs protect! But they need to be the right kind. Most people still cling to the idea that plague is bad. There is an intricate interplay of bacteria that lives on the mouth that creates a biofilm. This a healthy plaque. This is a delicate mesh of proteins, other substances, fluids, and cells. It is a community of cells that thrive together. It has a character which gives resistance to corrosive liquids. Removing this natural protection leaves the teeth unprotected and mouth can get infected by the wrong germs. Teeth do not need regular cleaning if the plague is mantained healthy. Healthy plaque is ESSENTIAL as it fights away intruding bacteria, provides essential ingridients for enamel to heal, and protects cells. Ceels is plaque communicate and depend from eachother. Harmful plaque forms noxious liquids. Anaerobic paque bacteria is bad and agressive and creates a thickening layer. When mouth is healthy and acidity balanced, plaque will not be infected and calcified deposits are reduced. Healthy plaque acts as a defense against unwanted bacteria and cleaning it could expose healthy teeth to infection. For a mouth to be healhthy the bacteria in it needs to be healthy. The best plan is to create an environment where healthy bacteria thrives

Xylitol helps stablish good flora. xylitol help can cure gingivitis is a matter of days.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Xylitol is a “tooth-friendly”, nonfermentable sugar alcohol.[11][12] It appears to have more dental health benefits than other polyalcohols.[13] The structure of xylitol contains a tridentate ligand, (H-C-OH)3 that can rearrange with polyvalent cations like Ca2+. This interaction allows for Ca2+ to be transported through the gut wall barrier and through saliva may remineralize enamel before dental caries form.[14]

Early studies from Finland in the 1970s found compared to chewing sucrose-flavored gum, xylitol resulted in nearly two fewer cavities or missing teeth.[15] Cavity-causing bacteria prefer six-carbon sugars or disaccharides, while xylitol is non-fermentable and can not be used as an energy source, interfering with bacterial growth and reproduction. The harmful micro-organisms are starved in the presence of xylitol, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption. This same property renders it unsuitable for making bread as it interferes with the ability of yeast to digest sugars.[14] At least 6 grams of xylitol per day is thought to be needed for dental efficacy; for most chewing gum or breath mints this would require 12 pieces per day.[14]

Xylitol also inhibits the growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae, as well as the attachment of Haemophilus influenzae on the nasopharyngeal cells.[14]"

frequent use of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide sensitizes gum tissue and result in gum recession. soa and peroxide eliminate harmful plaque BUT also good bacteria.

If the gum area around the neck of the teeth is allowed to remain infected for too long, it loses eleasticity (periodontis). It opens a space called a pocket, which becomes the home for bad bacteria. This pocket bacteria is very agressive. It can destroy the fibers that hold the teeth inside the jaws. Difficult to reverse. As fibers are destroyed, the pocket becomes bigger and deeper making it terminal. Gum dissease is linked to pancreatinc cancer. oral bacteria can be involved in other body infections (bowel syndrome, intestinal problems, rheumatoid arthritis).

TEST ph of mouth often.

Date: March 26, 2013 04:08PM

I just chewed on a semi ripened honeydew and tested my saliva ph. It is 8! (excellent). Then I tested directly DeerPark spring water and it was 6, very bad! I switched from Costo spring water because they changed it to filtered water but they used to have a very high ph (good). Now, all this time I've been drinking spring Deerpark thinking it was as good as Costco old spring water. Mistake! Never assume things. Testing is good. You don't want to drink lots of acidic water. Test it first as it can mess you up and you;ll never figure it out. Spring water is less acidic than pure water because of the minerals (minerals rise ph > good) but it is always better to test just in case. I am running out of test strips so I'll have to order more.

honeydews > thumbs up

Date: March 26, 2013 06:07PM

after eating bananas, the ph of saliva was 7.5 smiling smiley

OK here are the final tips.

If you use listerine. the books recomends double rinsing. One for listerine, and a second one to wash off listerine. Listerine is acidic and will soften the enamel if left for too long. You want to wash it off.

If you use toothpaste. Avoid exotic, multipurpose, the latest and greatest, whitening, toothpaste. Get the original Crest (fluoride) tooth paste (soft). Every whistle in a toothpaste has compromises. A toothpaste can make your teeth worse, even with all the bells and whistles. For example, if you have sores, change the toothpaste or not use one.

Brush the area gum-teeth (most important area) with a soft brush.

Women have generally more acidic saliva and therefore, need more knowledge smiling smiley

ATHLETES are high risk (acidic and dry mouth). A dehydrated athlete will have acid prone saliva plus a drier mouth. TOOTH DAMAGE. Avoid sport drinks. avoid sorbitol. chose xylitol.

In my personal opinion, sport-stress makes aliva more acidic. Maybe it has to do with minerals or something.

again, the main message is this. bacteria is not the problem. The problem is that some types of bacteria create too much acid which overpowers the alkaline saliva. But if you have acid saliva, then you have a deep problems. Raw food should return acid saliva to alkaline.

THE END

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 06:19PM by Panchito.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 26, 2013 10:37PM

Thanks. A lot of interesting info! I disagree with Crest, though. I received a sample of Crest once (after years of using natural toothpaste) and it was HORRIBLE! It tasted like a chemical cocktail! Also, if Lysterine is acidic, then why in the blazes would we use it?

I like Trader Joe's brand of toothpaste. Inexpensive and they also have a fluoride version. I don't know if anyone has ever used Ecodent but I loved that stuff! It's very expensive, though, and I looked at the ingredients and couldn't help but think it would be very easy to make...

I wonder if we could use Xylitol power...The reason I ask is that chewing gum means consuming some of it and I don't like that idea.

Date: March 26, 2013 10:48PM

I think you can get xylitol like in sugar bags. You put it in juices, etc. Never used it myself.

listerine is a germ bomb. They company doesn't care about the acidity because nobody knows. I've been going to the dentist for a long time and the sucker never told me anything about acidity. If you don't learn yourself, nobody is going to save you. They'll use you and your disease as coin.

There are good reviews on remineralizing tooth pastes on Amazon (fluoride free). But the book says fluoride help keep the fillings and teeth strong. If you swallow it, it goes to the bones. It leaches aluminun too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 10:51PM by Panchito.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 26, 2013 11:02PM

Yes, I can get xylitol at a health store. I would discourage anyone to use Listerine if the result is acidity. Why use it in the first place? If you have bad breath, it's only a temporary mask anyway.

Maybe alternate days of remineralizing paste with fluoride paste?

Date: March 27, 2013 09:02AM

The bad part of listerine is that it also kill the good bacteria (the one that does not create too much acid). Other brands may use different chemicals. The same brand may also change chemicals from year to year but keep the same name. Pretty much they are experiments and nobody knows the long term effects (like cancer in certain people). But I would not be afraid of listerine. Test the ph of saliva and if it is acidic wash with listerine and rinse. Bacteria is not bad. It is the @#$%& of some bacteria (acid) what makes the holes. With a box of ph strips you can hunt results and learn better than following any book.

I think Amazon sells remineralizing toothpastes

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 27, 2013 03:24PM

This is great, thanks Panchito for sharing all that info!

I agree with a lot of it, it echoes a lot of stuff I've read elsewhere, for instance the Gerald Judd book called good teeth birth to death; also Fred Patanaude's recent re-publishing of an old book with some good practical info about teeth. Also Nadine Artimis has a lot of good info about self dentristry. I haven't read Tonya Zavasta's book on teeth, does anyone know if it's any good?

I like to make my own toothpaste out of coconut oil, clay, a few essential oils such as peppermint and sometimes tea tree etc, plus a little sea salt and/or baking soda. It's really easy. I keep meaning to add xylitol but haven't got round to buying any yet. I also like to keep a little bottle of water with a pinch of baking soda & sea salt in the kitchen, I take a sip to rinse & neutralise my mouth after eating / drinking. Or sometimes I chew on a celery stick after eating.

I also love oil swishing, I think that is a fantastic way to maintain good oral health.

I recently ordered some pH strips to test my kombucha, I'll now be having fun using them to test my saliva!

Date: March 27, 2013 04:54PM

Hi Lisa.

Don't know what I am talking but I would think that oils (non water soluble) would prevent remineralization as they create a film between saliva and teeth. They would be good for the gum (meat) part as it does not need the minerals.

There is a product on Amazon called oramd that is made with 100% pepermint oil + spear mint oil + and almond oil. But probably xylitol is much better as it fights by starvation and it is not an oil (and cheaper too). It would sound strange to actually wash the mouth with something sweet (xylitol) before going to sleep. I think the max is 20 grams a day for xylitol as dietary intake. But rinsing in xylitol does not have limits.

the author of the book probably never heard of raw food, but the general arguments are very similar. It goes to the cause, the acid. Dentist go for the middle, the bacteria, where there is confusion and money. If they told people about the acidity, they would see a pay cut.
I myself going to give a try to xylitol and try to strenghthen my teeth. Do and learn.

Another trick: The old (bad) bacteria may live in the toothbrush. Use listerine to kill the bacteria in the toothbrush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 05:00PM by Panchito.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables