Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vega
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: April 08, 2013 03:02PM

So, this morning I had a vega bar for my breakfast, and really felt awful afterwards... I am not sure why?

I guess my body is reacting to anything that is not just pure and natural/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vega
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 09, 2013 12:18AM

Leaky Gut!

Date: April 09, 2013 02:38AM

I do not have leaky gut!

Date: April 09, 2013 03:10AM

Ok, that was a bit too abrubt. Maybe I do have it, but I just read that eating grass fed beef and wild salmon are the way to cure it!!! For sure, this cannot be what the answer is.

I just know I was not myself after having my smoothies ( broc, spin, coc, celery, carrots, lime juice) and I had the vega bar.

I was on edge all day and I also think I cant tolerate nightshades... this is ridiculous. Right now, I feel like i cant eat anything and be ok.

Fruit doesnt work for me, flax makes me sick ( had some dehyrated flax crackers yesterday), no peppers, no carrots??? Seriously, I am already losing my teeth from malnutrition. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 09, 2013 04:31AM

If you ate the vega bar first, and then the smoothie, that food combination could cause gas and bloating.

Here are some comments on the vega bar ingredients

The hemp protein is highly processed. It would be better if they used hemp seeds.
Flax seeds are hard to digest, plus they taste weird. Flax oil is actually linseed oil, and has traditionally been used as a paint/varnish thinner/solvent.
Agave is not a great sweetener. Too bad they didn't use organic dates.

Date: April 09, 2013 05:02AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you ate the vega bar first, and then the
> smoothie, that food combination could cause gas
> and bloating.
>
> Here are some comments on the vega bar
> ingredients
>
> The hemp protein is highly processed. It would be
> better if they used hemp seeds.
> Flax seeds are hard to digest, plus they taste
> weird. Flax oil is actually linseed oil, and has
> traditionally been used as a paint/varnish
> thinner/solvent.
> Agave is not a great sweetener. Too bad they
> didn't use organic dates.

Well, that just about summed up alot. I did have the vega bar before the smoothie, and yup, I was bloated and MOODY.smiling smiley

I like flax seeds, kind of, in a weird way. But, if they hurt my tummy, I am done with them. I also have been putting chia seeds on my salads and maybe that is not a good idea.

so, pretty much, I am left with not much,right? no olive oil, no nuts, none of my fav veggies, no hemp, no chia, no flax.

ok, I need to reframe this whole thing and find things I can eat and actually enjoy my life and food. It should not be so hard when I am trying to be as natural as before. I was already much healthier in comparison to my friends who eat the SAD, but now I feel like I am depriving.

How does one get over this hurdle? and.. no meat, right? for heavens sake, I am sick of people telling me that is why I feel the way I do because I stopped eating meat.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: April 09, 2013 02:51PM

Michellemm,
Did you try juicing? Freshly squeezed juices bring tons of nutritients and are absorbed by the body very quickly. I juice about 4 average sized carrots, 1/3 of average beet and 2 small apples every morning. I do feel a lot of difference in the way I feel and look. Juicing completely irradicated my PMS symptoms too.
What about fruit? Bananas a cheap and full of nutrients. I personally don't like to eat them, but I do blend about 4-5 bananas every morning with some greens, and lemon/orange. It's probably not following the food combining rules, but it works for me. I do quinoa sometimes too, I boil it and make a salad with it. It's not raw , but it'a a complete protein. Maybe you could add it in to make sure you're not deprived while figuering out how to work the raw diet.. And whatever you do, make large portions. I learned to eat a lot on raw diet. Exttra eztra large salads, 1 qt smoothie every morning, LOTS of fruit during the date, little bit of soaked nuts.

Date: April 09, 2013 03:13PM

littlemermaid Wrote:
> Michellemm,
> Did you try juicing? Freshly squeezed juices bring
> tons of nutritients and are absorbed by the body
> very quickly. I juice about 4 average sized
> carrots, 1/3 of average beet and 2 small apples
> every morning. I do feel a lot of difference in
> the way I feel and look. Juicing completely
> irradicated my PMS symptoms too.
> What about fruit? Bananas a cheap and full of
> nutrients. I personally don't like to eat them,
> but I do blend about 4-5 bananas every morning
> with some greens, and lemon/orange. It's probably
> not following the food combining rules, but it
> works for me. I do quinoa sometimes too, I boil
> it and make a salad with it. It's not raw , but
> it'a a complete protein. Maybe you could add it in
> to make sure you're not deprived while figuering
> out how to work the raw diet.. And whatever you
> do, make large portions. I learned to eat a lot
> on raw diet. Exttra eztra large salads, 1 qt
> smoothie every morning, LOTS of fruit during the
> date, little bit of soaked nuts.

Hi
I do not have a juicersad smiley and still need to get a blender. Things are really tough financially, but i am trying to work through it.

I def do not like sweet things..I feel like even carrots mess me up.

Large portions.. this might be part of the issue, I am trying but my body doesnt do well on alot of food at one time. It is just the way it is.

I am trying, and sometimes I feel like the less I eat fish to keep me grounded, the more I feel off. I dont want to question this raw lifestyle, but it feels like maybe it is not for me.

Well,I do eat 90% salads.. and they are not cooked. My issue is the protein. I know I am lacking it, I just feel it but I am trying to not go back to fish.

Quinoa is a grain though and I read with leaky gut poor digestion that ANY grains are not good for us.

Thanks so much for your help.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 09, 2013 03:20PM

Michele, have you ever thought of going to a holistic physician or the like? You seem to have lots of questions and perhaps a very delicate system. I don't know that you are going to be able to find everything you're looking for on here right now. Maybe you need some tests to see if you have food sensitivities and/or allergies.

Date: April 09, 2013 03:42PM

banana who Wrote:
> Michele, have you ever thought of going to a
> holistic physician or the like? You seem to have
> lots of questions and perhaps a very delicate
> system. I don't know that you are going to be able
> to find everything you're looking for on here
> right now. Maybe you need some tests to see if you
> have food sensitivities and/or allergies.

I have been and everything is fine. Sorry for the questions, this is a new lifestyle to me and it takes time. I was looking for the support in general.

I know my sensitivities and allergies. 3 Holistic practitioners have told me TO EAT MEAT.... so obviously, I was trying to listen to my own self and heal with a raw lifestyle.

I am not sure if others feel this way, but from what I have read, everyone has questions, not just me. THanks anyways.

Date: April 09, 2013 04:03PM

Michele, I never said you are the only one asking questions. But you have mentioned that carrots feel bad to you, you don't like sweet things (which eliminates fruits!), you eat fish to feel grounded.

Because of the scope of this board, discussions of animal products are not allowed. I am not in line with this rule but you know it, as well. So my point is that perhaps your situation DOES require something different than the average person. As you see, when you ask questions you get a variety of answers. The only thing you can really do is be completely open to your reactions to various foods. Even though I don't eat fish or any other flesh food, I am not as dogmatic as I used to be. I used to think that everyone should eat the same as I do. So perhaps you do need fish? I haven't a clue. I do think processed foods should obviously be eliminated first. Make everything yourself, including energy bars. Then see how you feel.

Date: April 09, 2013 04:08PM

My last post was sort of muddled. About asking questions, I think one has to be careful about asking for advice on health issues. There are opposing views and really, no one knows your body better than you do! Even going to a doctor is soliciting an outside opinion.

I find the intolerance of sweet foods a bit suspect in the sense that I knew a woman who ate plain yogurt and never sweetened stuff. She was diabetic. Perhaps diabetics commonly find sweet things repulsive because the body is safe-guarding against refined sugars? I think fruit consumption is so important for us. But what do I know about you?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: April 09, 2013 05:01PM

Like Bryan said, liquids and solids don't work well together if you have delicate digestion. Eating the liquid smoothie soon after the solid vega bar might be why your stomach was having a problem. Likewise, if I eat a salad with oil on it and drink water at the same meal, my digestion comes to a halt, because oil and water don't mix.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: April 09, 2013 05:25PM

michellemm - Quinoa is actually considered a seed, it's not a grain. So it might work for you.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: April 09, 2013 09:37PM

I just tried a Garden of Life Raw Meal for the first time. Started a thread on the "Other Health" forum since I get treated like the ginger step-brat over here. Will let you know how it goes. So far I seem to be pretty full and it tasted fairly good.

Date: April 10, 2013 01:56AM

HH Wrote:
> I just tried a Garden of Life Raw Meal for the
> first time. Started a thread on the "Other Health"
> forum since I get treated like the ginger
> step-brat over here. Will let you know how it
> goes. So far I seem to be pretty full and it
> tasted fairly good.

Thanks. Let me know! I just bought a hemp protein powder, so I will keep you updated on that one.

I was going to buy the Garden of Life Raw Meal, but changed my mind.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:04PM

HH Wrote:
> I just tried a Garden of Life Raw Meal for the
> first time. Started a thread on the "Other Health"
> forum since I get treated like the ginger
> step-brat over here. Will let you know how it
> goes. So far I seem to be pretty full and it
> tasted fairly good.

I really like GOL products but they don't prescribe to proper food combining. If it works for you that is good it is one of the best.

Date: April 11, 2013 02:03AM

Hmm I was not a fan of the hemp powder, it was kind of grosssmiling smiley

just saying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables