Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bananas - Food Combining
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 28, 2009 07:45PM

Since bananas are an herb, what do they combine well with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas - Food Combining
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 28, 2009 07:50PM

The banana tree is an herb. I think the banana itself is a berry.

As for food combining, treat it like a sweet fruit. From my experience, it combines with lettuce and dates.

I make smoothies with bananas and strawberries or with blueberries. That works for me.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 28, 2009 07:56PM

bananas, figs, any dried fruits, lettuce, and it can combine with sub acid fruits, mangos etc. cherimoya..

Date: March 28, 2009 07:56PM

Okay, thanks! I've been doing green smoothies with kale juice (or some other green, like collards), apple or orange juice, and frozen bananas, with some green leaves. I was just wondering if this was optimal or if I could be doing better with the combining. One day I saw undigested banana in my ....you know.

Date: March 28, 2009 07:57PM

What's a subacid fruit? I'm sorry; I don't know.

Also, the banana incident with digestion only happened once and hasn't happened in at least a week. IT was just an FYI.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 28, 2009 08:11PM

Theres a lot of confusion to food combining.. I will definitly vouch for that.
So instead of possibly giving you the wrong info check those out, Im sure it will be less confusing ahha.

There is NO reason to be sorry friend, Im just learning how to understand this stuff myself, but it really gets easier the more you practice it..

Im not sure what would be optimal, how long have you been doing this diet? are you raw or just starting out? Do you have digestive problems etc.?

I know for me, I was told drinking to many strong greens like kale and collards at the beginning of transition could be more irritating to my digestion then slowly geting into it..

I do know for me frozen and cold fruits are spasmatic to my digestion, maybe try simple smoothies?

[www.kitchentablemedicine.com]

[www.therawdiet.com]

Check out those two websites.

Sub acid fruits are.. apples, mangos, cherimyas, grapes, pears, peaches, apricots. they do digest with sweet fruits, like banas, figs, dates, or dried fruit, but I know for me its better when I dont mix them, except lately Ive been experimenting with mango..

Date: March 28, 2009 08:19PM

I've been high-raw for a year and 3 months, vegan for almost 7 years. That whole time, been eating raw & cooked greens (lots). So I'm used to raw collards and kale and such.

I don't seem to have a problem with orange juice, banana, and green smoothies, but I'll check. I do pineapple juice sometimes, too. (all juice is freshly made). Maybe that's not hte best. Mango sounds good!!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 28, 2009 08:42PM

Utopian Life,

I find that banana and sweet juicy lettuce is sublime! You really can't go wrong with greens. As for other fruits, herbalgerbals is right, but I go more by, are these from the same growing climate and are they eaten together by the natives? So, mango + banana= ecstasy : )

Date: March 28, 2009 10:01PM

Thank you! I wish mangoes were cheap. But apples are cheap now, and pears aren't too bad.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 31, 2009 01:23AM

you know what sounds really good?

a salad with lots of greens celery and bananas and dates and some orange juice squirted on top.

Date: March 31, 2009 01:11PM

Dates don't last long around these parts, especially if I'm having a no-fat-added day (and then need more calories from fruit). smiling smiley

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 01, 2009 08:25AM

i know it's hard to save them to put them in meals, huh? =)

Date: April 05, 2009 05:26PM

I made a smoothie today with fresh apple juice, kale stem & collard stem juice, water, 6 dates, a whole papaya, 1 frozen banana, and about 4 cups of collard & kale leaves. Yum!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables