Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mesquite - why did I buy it?
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 20, 2006 05:13PM

I ordered some mesquite a while back when ordering my usual staples from my favorite online supplier - Natural Zing. Anyhoo - I can't remember why I ordered it. There was probably a recipe that I had seen or something that I had read about the benefits of/uses for mesquite. But, darned if I can remember!

Can anyone help me out? What do you do with it? I do have a dehydrator, so cookies or crackers are a possibility.

Thanks!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mesquite - why did I buy it?
Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:06AM

Hi
from shazzie
Mesquite meal is a traditional Native American food produced by gathering ripened seed-pods from the mesquite tree and grinding them into a fine powder. Used as a staple food for centuries by desert dwellers, this high protein meal contains good quantities of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc, and is rich in the amino acid lysine as well. It has a sweet, rich, molasses-like flavor with a hint of caramel which blends well into smoothies or other drinks
Researchers report that mesquite is highly effective in balancing blood sugar. The natural sweetness in the pods comes from fructose. Fructose doesn't require insulin to be metabolised -- making it safe for diabetics. The high rate of dietary fibre, pods are 25% fibre, causes the nutrients in mesquite to be absorbed slowly preventing the spikes and valleys in blood sugar. With a low glycemic index of 25, mesquite requires a longer time to digest then many grains. The digestive time for mesquite is to 4 to 6 hours unlike wheat that digests in 1 to 2 hours. These factors result in a food that maintains a constant blood sugar for a sustained time and as a result prevents hunger. Here is a food that supports the diabetic's diet and helps maintain a healthy insulin system in those not affected with blood sugar problem"

Re: Mesquite - why did I buy it?
Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:31PM

mesquite is great stuff man!!! I put it in puddings and use it in cookies. Sometimes I even use it to make smoothies if I want that texture... it's got a neat flavor and you can use it to thicken stuff like flour. It works well with cacao if you eat it. It's great for desserts and I've even used it in some breakfast stuff.

It's just pretty all purpose stuff and is pretty yummy too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables