Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

B vitamins - best supplements?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 09, 2013 05:07PM

I visited a chiropractor today (I have quite 'clicky' joints and my neck's a bit crunchy sometimes, so I wanted to get checked out) and she was recommending a B complex supplement. I have lot of fermented foods, so I would have thought I'm covered on B vits (apart from B12 I guess)... I always prefer to get my nutrients from food rather than supplements, but I'm open to ideas... I would appreciate you guys' thoughts? Or any suggestions on a good B complex supplement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: B vitamins - best supplements?
Date: July 09, 2013 10:15PM

l'll just say one thing. Most B vitamins on the market are made by Big pharma and are synthetic. And most of these B vitamins have petrochemicals in them, so be very careful. Get something with very low doses if you are truely lacking so you can be ensured you aren't stripping the body of other nutrients and to be sure you aren't getting petrochemicals in your diet, but wouldn't it be better to build it up by using food over the long term?

Why not go to the best B vitamin source, sprouts. Why not try sprouted sunflower, sesame and chia. That'll take care of it. The plain seeds are a great source of B vitamins, but the sprouted seed is PHENOMENAL!!!

Sprouts are always the highest food source of vitamins. You may also want to sprout green juices and ferment the sprouted seeds (adds good bacteria) to make sure you romp it home.

People may say brewers yeast is the best source of b vitamins, but best to avoid that food because it is not balanced. lt's a stripper.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 10:25PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 09, 2013 10:45PM

Thanks Sproutarian Man, yeah I always come back to the feeling that it's, 'best to get it from real food'... when I look at the ingredients on the supplements I can't help thinking all that stuff would unbalance the body somehow...

I've been starting to sprout a lot more lately (inspired by your posts!), it's so much easier to do it on cloth rather than using trays of soil... plus it's warmer here now which helps. I guess nut and seed cheeses made from sprouted seeds would be great for B vits.

Do you take anything for B12?

Date: July 09, 2013 11:01PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I've been starting to sprout a lot more lately
> (inspired by your posts!),
Great. I'm here to learn and give good information. Many folks misunderstand why sprouting is so good, but l want to change that.

it's so much easier to
> do it on cloth rather than using trays of soil...
> plus it's warmer here now which helps. I guess
> nut and seed cheeses made from sprouted seeds
> would be great for B vits.
Just make sure those nuts are raw and not irradiated. Try to source nuts personally from farms if you can. If you can only find nuts from shops, so if you can make them go moldy within a few days, if they do it is a good sign they are raw.

Grow the sunflower greens on cloth, and try to grow the chia grass on cloth if you can. And...make sure you sprout sesame in a jar (2 day old), chia (2 - 3 day max on tray with cloth) and hulled sunflower (1 day) for the meaty meals. You might even want to try sprouting poppy seeds (highest source of calcium and zinc).

Chia is extremely important because you get those omega 3's. Walnuts and avacodo won't provide the balance. Many of us aren't getting good levels.

>
> Do you take anything for B12?
It should be a soil based B12 supplement. Never injections or most stuff from shops. lt must be quality.
[www.hippocratesstore.org]

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: July 09, 2013 11:26PM

Thank you

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 09, 2013 11:29PM

I would say that noisy joints and crunchy neck is more about stress and tension being held in the body rather than B-vitamins. Certainly stress will deplete B-vitamins, but the real solution would be to remove the sources of stress in your life so that your body can relax. In the meantime, while you are removing said stress, deep breathing and a restorative yoga practice and help eliminate the tension that is stored in the musculature around the noisy joints and crunchy neck.

Date: July 10, 2013 11:51AM

Thank you Prana, yes very good points. I do love yoga (I'm a qualified teacher) and have a daily personal practice; I'm sure it helps a lot. I do notice a bit more crunchiness after I've been working on the computer a lot; I need to remember to take breaks and stretch. I've had the 'clickiness' since I was a kid though, the chiropractor seems to think it's related to hypermobility.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:47PM

Suppliments are a waste of money if you are not digesting them. And if you are digesting well-you would probably not be having these problems. Also B's are very acidic so that might make your issue worse especially if you have Leaky Gut. Acidosis is the main culprit in this issue but the overall health from many things over time is the real culprit. Pay close attention to what you eat and see if some things make you worse. Good vitamins are New Chapter and Garden of life, and I prefer Garden of Life. The doses are lower but are synergistically formulated from whole foods. Stay alkaline and pump up your digestine. O and don't listen to your Chiropractor lol, just kidding, do what you think is best. Personally I would rather put my money into a good massage therapist if I were to go that route.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 01:10PM

I use Nutritional Yeast (not completely raw) or Solgar B-Vitamin Complex with Veggie caps (suitable for vegetarians) when out of Nutritional Yeast. I noticed a huge difference once I started using the Nutritional Yeast. My peaches and cream complexion came back. I hadn't realized it had gone away. I also noticed a huge difference once I stopped using sea salt as an additive. My dry lips went away almost immediately. I was wondering why I still had dry lips yet was taking Nutritional Yeast everyday. I'm so glad I found out why.

I've heard of Hylauronic Acid that is supposed to be good for joints. There is a group of 80 year olds or so in Japan that eat lots of yam based food that helped the body generate HA. [www.livestrong.com] I reseached HA and the commerical stuff is mostly derived from animal products, especially the chicken. It would be interesting to be able to find a specific vegan source that was readily absorbable to test out the theory.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:39PM

I like Garden of Life's Vitamin Code line. I feel they have excellent quality supplements.

Another good thing for joints is turmeric. The supplement is stronger than the food because it has higher amounts of curcuminoids.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables