Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brittle nails, humps, and ridges...am i missing something in my diet?
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:39PM

Hello all,

I've noticed my nails flake and are brittle at the part that extends past my finger tips. I have unsightly humps (horizontal across my nails on my thumbs. I also have vertical ridges along all of my nails. Am I lacking something in my diet? Omega fats? MSM? Something else? My nails used to be much healthier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brittle nails, humps, and ridges...am i missing something in my diet?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:44PM

You can do trial and error and see? Like, adding flax, chia, or hemp or something.

Also, do you wash your hands a lot? I have to use moisturizer a lot because I am washing my hands or rinsing veggies/fruits often.

Date: April 08, 2009 02:53PM

I have been cleaning more often lately...maybe that is contributing. But I always try to use natural cleaners. I don't moisturize. How did the MSM affect your nails? Did you notice any difference? After I get some input from a few people, I will use trial and error to see what helpssmiling smiley My problem seems to be coming from the inside, rather than an external factor, but I don't know...

Date: April 08, 2009 03:11PM

I actually just started teh MSM on Friday, so only five days. But my nails have always been pretty strong (as long as I moisturize), so I won't be a good gauge. sad smiley Hopefully someone else will know!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 08, 2009 03:19PM

musicbebe,

My mom always used to say that nail ridges/striations were a sign of B vitamin deficiency. You know, in the old days, you had to keep track of this stuff yourself in case you couldn't get to a doctor because there was a war on or something : )

Date: April 08, 2009 03:22PM

Tamuhka,

Thanks. Which B vitamins, do you know? What are good food sources of those? I had also read that your nails are a window to your internal health, so that's why I was concerned.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 08, 2009 04:54PM

Here is some info about avocados and B vitamins: [en.wikipedia.org]

Here is some other sources of B vitamins: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: April 09, 2009 07:33PM

I didn't know the best place to post, but I wanted to put an update about the MSM....I do feel like my skin is softer and smoother (it wasn't too bad before, but I am prone to breakouts, but raw prevents most of those in itself, without MSM).

The pee smell has subsided and my skin was oily in a couple spots for two-three days and now that's gone.

So maybe the MSM did do something! smiling smiley

It's worth a shot.

Date: April 09, 2009 07:50PM

One more thing, Musicbebe- my stomach felt funky the first 5 days on MSM. Not diarrhea or weird @#$%& but just a general uncomfortable feeling, almost like I was constipated (but I wasn't). Now that has passed, thankfully!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2009 08:23PM

I had always had strong flexible nails, yet some years ago they became hard and brittle. I wondered what I was lacking in my diet, but nothing had changed in that area for years. I began taking a calcium supplement, although it didn't help.

I really don't know if my eventual change of diet was the key or just a coincidence, but my nails are back to their former state. It didn't happen overnight either. I took a couple of years, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just stick to a balance diet and let your body do it's work.

Cheers geo

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 10, 2009 06:28PM

I've read that the symptoms you are describing could be iron or ferritin deficiency. GOtta get those greens smiling smiley
My nails have gotten thinner since going vegan, too. My hair, however, became thicker (after falling out initially).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 10, 2009 07:53PM

musicbebe,

Here's an article about nails and B Vitamins; there's tons of info on the connection on the web:

[ezinearticles.com]

Posted by: ilikerawfood ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:18PM

How long did it take for your hair to grow back thicker?

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 12, 2009 10:29PM

I was shedding for about 2-3 months, then it stopped falling out and came back thick. I also use Morrocco International Hairproducts, which may have to do with it

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2009 06:35AM

Most likely nutrients missing would be Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.

Vitamin D has been in the news a lot due to people, even with sun
exposure, showing up deficient when tested.

I have seen links between hair and nail problems and Vitamin D deficiency or
insufficiency.

Vitamin D is required for proper calcium, magnesium, and other mineral utilization.

If nothing else, I would try supplementing with Vit B12 and D, and get tested
if curious.

The Vitamin D Council has a mail-order test for under $70 I believe.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 14, 2009 05:08PM

Most of the times it is not that something is missing in the diet it is about assimilation, the ability of the body to process food and get nutrients in. The body can make nutrients out of a simple fruit, air, and water if the system is clean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 05:10PM by madinah.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 02:26AM

I had the ridges both directions along with brittle nails and hair that broke off just by moving my head. Sounds like you need to add some vitamin/mineral supplements to your diet.

I take a multi-vitamin suitable for vegans and additional supplements when needed.

The reason the horizontal ridges appear is nutritional deficiency. The vertical ones have to do with calcium. You may need to supplement your diet with a calcium/magnesium supplement. I like the liquid ones.

Good luck. Therese

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables