Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can raw veganism or veganism help to cure rosacea?
Posted by: HH ()
Date: August 24, 2013 05:49PM

Hi. I have a really beautiful friend who's suddenly getting hit with rosacea. Any results out there from going vegan or raw vegan?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can raw veganism or veganism help to cure rosacea?
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: August 24, 2013 11:41PM

I seems there are many triggers. Foods being one one them. There is an article saying it might the ocular type is autoimmune. Maybe it's true for all rosacea.

[www.rosacea.org]

I have a host of autoimmune issues. R.A., food allergies, and IBS. Every one of them is better since I've been high raw long term.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 11:52PM by swimmer.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: August 24, 2013 11:45PM

Check out he survey mid page:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 25, 2013 01:28AM

Thanks. All the rosacea info online is so hard to muddle through. Lots of scam type stuff.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 25, 2013 02:36AM

Yes, Raw Food and Juice Fasting/Feasting work wonderfully for this condition. I had one of my students have this completely gone by day 21 of nothing but Juices – see the end of my File Preview.

…File Preview…
• Yes, I had Rosacea and it is now gone. It went away almost immediately and only came back slightly when I ate more cooked food than I should have. I also did some fasting when I first started.
• Skin Disorder Rosacea Linked to Facial Warmth
• In addition to facial bumps and pimples, individuals who suffer with rosacea may also have higher facial temperatures than those without the skin disorder, researchers report. And recent study findings suggest that the two phenomena may be linked.
• Re: Raw eating and pregnancy
• I am not doing 100% raw but about 75-85%. I started at 17 wks and all my indigestion and gas problems became a past problem. My blood pressure is optimal at 108/70 last reading and my rosacea has mostly cleared up and I feel great for a 46 yr old pregnant lady.
• Re: ... and what soaps?
• Arlyn, please don't use steroids on your face (even short term). Steroid use actually causes rosacea! Your doctor should know this. If you don't believe me, go to the rosacea support group board and read the notes from people who are literally suicidal from steroidal induced rosacea.
• Arlyn, the most commonly prescribed treatment by doctors for rosacea are oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics or topical metronidazole (metrogel, metocream, noritate). Some people have good results with these, but many many people feel these drugs actually make the condition worse. Some doctors are still prescribing steroid/cortisone cream even though it is known that this adversely affects the skin (it causes thinning of the skin).
• Steroids/cortisone cream is a common cause of rosacea in children! Many people are also now blaming glycolic acid products and retin A products as the cause of the condition. As well, many doctors treat rosacea as if it is acne which is totally wrong, as the conditions are very different. Researchers are now coming to the conclusion that rosacea is not a "skin disease" but a "vascular disease". The symptoms are caused by "leaky" damaged blood vessels in the face which allow fluid from the veins to leak into the surrounding area (lymph). At first the main symptom is facial flushing (which can last only a few minutes at a time or last for hours or days). Then, generally, after years of this constant flushing, the skin can become permanently red (even when not flushed) and rosacea "blemishes" begin to be seen (sometimes just a few - but sometimes 100's). These blemishes, which may look similar to pimples, or acne, are not caused by bacteria/dead skin cells in the follicle like acne, but by the inflammation caused by the flushing/leaky blood vessels.
• This is a subject I know a lot about, as I have been living with this disease for many years. I've been all raw/high raw for almost 2 years now. My rosacea symptoms have been reduced about 50% -- which sounds good, but I still cannot lead a normal life. I have not used any prescription drugs now for many years, and still have hope that my new way of eating will eventually completely eradicate the disease. With all the success you have had with the raw life, I believe you will also one day have perfect skin!
• Arlyn, nice talking to you too! Since you say that you started with acne, it’s very probable that acne treatments contributed to your having rosacea and sebhorria. By the way, it is very common for rosacea and sebhorria to go together. I also started with acne (very mild) and it has always been my belief that the harsh treatments and drugs I was on for acne caused me to have rosacea. The main symptom for me is intense flushing…you are very lucky not to have this symptom. Words cannot describe how physically painful the flushing can be, not to mention how horribly painful emotionally (I have become very reclusive over the years because of this disease.) I also have the rosacea blemishes (tiny bumps), which have always seemed like hives in nature. They can literally pop up without warning….and they can sometimes disappear just as quickly. They are annoyingly itchy. I have been reading the rosacea support group board since its inception. The consensus seems to be to find a mild cleanser and moisturizer that your face can tolerate, and then do the best you can with covering up the red/blemishes with make-up. There is no consensus on the drug side – some people improve with drugs, some people get worse. I think you have already found the best way to proceed – with diet. Diet is also frequently discussed on the support group, and it is believed by many on the group that eating a low carb diet is best. They of course have missed the mark – they will eat almost no fruit (because it is high in carbs) but will eat any kind of processed carbohydrate, as long as they stay under a certain limit of carbs (30 gm) per day. Even so, some are having some success with this. As well, some are having success with low dose accutane, 5 to 10 mg per day. This is a strange drug (I have never used it), because when taken in large doses, 20-40 mg per day, it can cause rosacea, but when taken in very low doses, it seems to significantly help. It especially seems to help people who develop the worst rosacea symptom – the enlarged nose, with tissue growth. I hope this never happens to you (or me), but I mention it in case it might be helpful to your relatives (have they tried a raw diet?)
• Anyway, sorry I can’t be more helpful with your problem with tiny bumps. I started the raw diet to see if it would help my rosacea and yes it has helped, but after almost 2 years I truly wish it had helped more! But I will just have to be patient…what choice do I have? I can say though that my bad days are now what my good days used to be. And my good days….wow! The redness is diminishing, the blemishes are rarely more than a dozen, the texture of my skin has improved. I live in hope.
• One last thing….I was so happy to see your recent post of all the health problems which have cleared up for you since going raw. I was disappointed that rosacea was not on the list (as I knew you had rosacea from another one of your postings). Isn’t it strange that allergies, thyroid problems and other “serious” diseases like cancer can be healed in a shorter time then rosacea?
• Rosacea GONE! (x post)
• I've been eating raw for just over two months now, minus about a week and a bit. I've had problems with a skin condition related to rosacea which gave me pustules on my face. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't cover it up, or that anyone else would necessarily notice it much, but it was really annoying, sometimes itchy, and often painful. Now that I've been raw for a while, I can say with certainly that a raw food diet took care of the problem for me. My skin, although not totally clear yet (not through with the detoxing yet and probably have a few months to go), looks remarkably clear, and I certainly have none of the giant ugly things cropping up that the rosacea gave me. The rosacea part of my skin problems is officially gone now, and now I just have to deal with the minor blemishes I've had since puberty.
• Re: Rosacea
• Interestingly, rosacea is also associated with a high prevalence of H. pylori infection, and eradication of H. pylori leads to an improvement in symptoms of gastritis and of rosacea (58b).
• A physician friend of mine has had several patients whose rosacea cleared up after he treated them for H-pylori. This is the same bacteria that causes ulcers and my friend says most doctors are not aware of its connection to rosacea. He suggests that anyone with this skin condition would be wise to have themselves tested for the H pylori bacteria. Hope this can help someone, Susan E.
• Per Greg Boyd on day 21 of his Juice Feast told me that his Rosacea has gone away!
…End of File Preview…

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2013 03:03PM

I am nearly certain that Chris would suggest something to do with adrenal glands. His protocol might include bitter herbs and adaptogens. Whether those things would be a cure on their own or not, he's expressed it as his belief that we are nearly all suffering from some level of adrenal fatigue which contributes to a variety of health issues and would all benefit from those 2 basic remedies.

Have you visited his site or blog? He gets back to me when I email and is, as always, wonderfully generous with his advice and suggestions. I miss him here too though...

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: August 25, 2013 04:51PM

Thanks John. I'll be sure to pass that on to her. After a couple days high-raw 100% vegan it's already gone down quite a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables