Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Would it be fair to peg most raw vegan fooders as sober hippies?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 04, 2013 09:46PM

I was watching some highlights from the Woodstock Fruit Festival and the people depicted generally seemed like totally groovy in that charmingly ungrounded (spacy) yet at the same time very active in the upper chakras. I mean this in a very nice way. Actually, it's not entirely accurate to say "ungrounded" but there is a certain airy vibe I get from a healthy percentage of this ilk.

And it got me to thinking...I am not sure about the rules, but I assume no one was allowed to bring booze into that fest. And the average age of the attendees seemed to be 20-something, which is the major partying decade IMO.

So it would appear that these folks are unusual in that sense, especially when compared to the tie-dyed crowd from the '60s.

Do many raw-fooders eschew recreational drugs (including alcohol)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would it be fair to peg most raw vegan fooders as sober hippies?
Date: September 05, 2013 01:14AM

Many raw fooders do come across as hippie types and dress very casual, but l am really opposite of this. Sure, l talk about airy fairy stuff, pineal glands, peace and love all the time, but l don't look at all like a typical raw fooder (good health excepted). l can be intense and laid back and l always dress conservatively like how Dr Brian Clement does - always a sportscoat,suit, conservative dress shoes and usually a hanky in the breast pocket...sometimes l wear a cravat or a flower in my suit lapel. I'm often in country English tweeds and brogues on weekends, yet l talk all new agey. l only wear old fashioned leather soled shoes with the soles stitched on and never wear rubber soles ever.

Like Dr Clement, l do not look like your average raw fooder at all. l've always been the same...hardly worn sneakers ever in my life and don't like to dress casual,wear shorts and feel under dressed in t-shirts. But l do like to strip down to my underpants and meditate in the sun. winking smiley

People may see my styling as very stuffy, but l am far from being so. l am very approachable and down to Earth.

l will say, l am extremely well grounded (no spacy feelings at all, but l do sometimes feel close to being at one with the universe) and do live in the real world despite liking to talk about airy fairy things. l can talk to your average meat eater about ordinary things and he would never know l was into a very alternative lifestyle.

I don't talk groovy, l don't look groovy, but l sure as heck think groovy. smiling smiley

Date: September 05, 2013 01:27AM

LOL! Love that last sentence! smiling smiley

I can't imagine dressing so formally, though. Suits sound uncomfortable, at least to me. But then I am a chick.winking smiley

I am wearing an AUM tee-shirt so what does that say about me? Hippied out?

Date: September 05, 2013 01:37AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I am wearing an AUM tee-shirt so what does that
> say about me? Hippied out?

Yep. winking smiley

Same goes with John Kohler. He wears sandals with no socks = hippied out. winking smiley

Matt Monach = hippied out.

Dan the Man = hippied out.

80-10-10 crowds = jocks and some are hippied out winking smiley

l love how these folks enter fruit eating competitions. It makes me laugh. l love all the raw fooders, l greatly admire what they do and their reasons for doing it.

Date: September 05, 2013 01:45AM

John Kohler seems a bit preppy to me. He wears button-down shirts, I think. Plus he has short hair.

I am glad you mentioned being a jock because that is the other feature. It seems either the person is like wow hippiesh or is into their bodies as in working out and doing sports.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:00AM

banana who Wrote:
> John Kohler seems a bit preppy to me. He wears
> button-down shirts, I think. Plus he has short
> hair.

True, he is preppy. His style is very interesting for someone who isn't American. He always dresses the same and l have learned that people still do wear hawaiian shirts lol. smiling smiley He is an interesting fellow.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:10AM

<<<True, he is preppy. His style is very interesting for someone who isn't American. He always dresses the same and l have learned that people still do wear hawaiian shirt>>>

LOL! But are you saying he's not an American? If not, then what?

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: September 05, 2013 02:25AM

<<<He wears sandals with no socks>>>

I hardly ever see anyone wear sandals with socks and when you do see someone wearing sandals with socks they look like dorks - it doesn't even make sense to wear sandals with socks, unless it’s real cold outside.

I've never resonated with that old saying that clothes make a man and it's hard to believe that TSM thinks like he does and doesn't understand the EVILS OF CLOTHING - [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Peace and Love..........John

Date: September 05, 2013 02:32AM

banana who Wrote:
> <<>>
>
> LOL! But are you saying he's not an American? If
> not, then what?

l meant myself. As an Australian l find John's style fascinating. Hardly any fellows wear hawaiian shirts (you never see it anywhere now), and button downs are becoming increasingly rare now - it was once a trend, but it quickly died out.

It's interesting watching raw fooders on youtube, they all have their own style and personalities. Dr Jubb makes me laugh, but in a good way.

l used to think all raw fooders were these supreme gurus who knew everything and could astral travel and looked divine, but when the internet was discovered l realised that they were just ordinary people on a journey. I used to think all raw fooders had perfected themselves and were like divine Gods...that's how all the old books made it sound.

l was rectant to join raw food boards for years because l felt l was too dumb to join and that l would get intimidated by all the supreme beings and high level gurus living in paradise. l didn't think anyone would talk to me because l felt too low level and dumb for them to want to bother with me. Then one day l watched youtubes and l was surprised that 99% of these people weren't big divine gurus...it was a complete eye opener.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:45AM

John Rose Wrote:

>
> I've never resonated with that old saying that
> clothes make a man and it's hard to believe that
> TSM thinks like he does and doesn't understand the
> EVILS OF CLOTHING -
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
> 5673#msg-225673
>
> Peace and Love..........John

Hi John,

l completely agree with the article. Clothing is a curse. And now Dr Clement has written a book called `Killer Clothes' which discusses how synthetic clothing and it's dies is related to different forms of cancer, infertility and many health problems.

You would be surprised how l really think John. l see the evils of clothing and would prefer to be able to just walk around bare foot in my underpants an be completely with nature, but l would feel uncomfortable living in a civilised society dressed like that. Even wearing flip flops, shorts and t-shirts would make me feel physically uncomfortable because l am used to the way l dress and like to feel clothing on my body, + it is colder where l live. NOW...l know this is not natural and unhealthy, but l am not perfect.

Would l prefer to ditch the clothes? Of course! l do skin brushing and try to get out in the sun when l can to make up for my bad habit.

My clothing isn't to project an image to the world, it is because l like to wear those types of clothes and have weight on my body. It's a denatured habit unfortunately.

> I've never resonated with that old saying that
> clothes make a man and it's hard to believe that
> TSM thinks like he does

Definitely not John. Clothes no NOT make the man. l hope my comments clear up any misunderstandings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 02:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:56AM

For such an "enlightened being" why are you so hung up on clothes? It seems to go against everything you stand for. When I think of the Ego, I think of Clothes. When I think of the Spirit, I think of being Natural and Man is Naturally a Nude Animal!

Peace and Love..........John

EDIT: I posted this before I read your response above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 02:58AM by John Rose.

Date: September 05, 2013 03:16AM

John Rose Wrote:
> For such an "enlightened being" why are you so
> hung up on clothes? It seems to go against
> everything you stand for. When I think of the
> Ego, I think of Clothes. When I think of the
> Spirit, I think of being Natural and Man is
> Naturally a Nude Animal!
>
> Peace and Love..........John
>
> EDIT: I posted this before I read your response
> above.

You are geting hung up on a mind set John....a rigid idea you have in your head. Your thinking on the image aspect of clothing is not a reflection of the reality of my thinking and personality.

When we reach enlightenment we still have a small percentage of ourselves that live in the physical. The key is to put physical items in their rightful place and not be drawn into them so they control your life and thoughts...put the clothing into perspective and don't use them to project a false image. Liking the way clothing feels is one thing, but using clothing to project a fake image (ego) is a completely different matter.

The feel of clothing is a small part of who l am because part of me still lives in the physical, but the most important thing that takes up most of my thinking is the spiritual. BUT...if l spent time thinking about image (ego), then that wouldn't be such an evolved way to live.

We are all feely people, so having a small part of that isn't such a bad thing. So why do l wear a hanky in my pocket?...because it's old habits, and certainly not to project an image.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 03:30AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:05PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> lol i like socks with sandals but then again I
> prefer black socks. I also dont wear these in
> public so, meh.

I find that men over a certain age (say, 60) do this quite often. It's funny that you say you like it but won't wear it in public, LOL

Date: September 05, 2013 02:09PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> John Rose Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For such an "enlightened being" why are you so
> > hung up on clothes? It seems to go against
> > everything you stand for. When I think of the
> > Ego, I think of Clothes. When I think of the
> > Spirit, I think of being Natural and Man is
> > Naturally a Nude Animal!
> >
> > Peace and Love..........John
> >
> > EDIT: I posted this before I read your
> response
> > above.
>
> You are geting hung up on a mind set John....a
> rigid idea you have in your head. Your thinking on
> the image aspect of clothing is not a reflection
> of the reality of my thinking and personality.
>
> When we reach enlightenment we still have a small
> percentage of ourselves that live in the physical.
> The key is to put physical items in their rightful
> place and not be drawn into them so they control
> your life and thoughts...put the clothing into
> perspective and don't use them to project a false
> image. Liking the way clothing feels is one thing,
> but using clothing to project a fake image (ego)
> is a completely different matter.
>
> The feel of clothing is a small part of who l am
> because part of me still lives in the physical,
> but the most important thing that takes up most of
> my thinking is the spiritual. BUT...if l spent
> time thinking about image (ego), then that
> wouldn't be such an evolved way to live.
>
> We are all feely people, so having a small part of
> that isn't such a bad thing. So why do l wear a
> hanky in my pocket?...because it's old habits, and
> certainly not to project an image.

May I ask your sign? You sound like a Virgo or Capricorn--very formal and perhaps feeling that it's not neat to wear tees and shorts?

I like being comfy over classy. I used to spend quite a lot of time on my looks. I don't have the same feeling about it anymore.

I really am liking Aussies. I think they have a lot in common with Americans compared to the English, which come across usually as stuffed shirts. I love Aussies' humor and down-to-earth demeanor.

Date: September 05, 2013 02:15PM

John Rose, you said both these things right? You were not quoting anyone?

<<<I hardly ever see anyone wear sandals with socks and when you do see someone wearing sandals with socks they look like dorks - it doesn't even make sense to wear sandals with socks, unless it’s real cold outside.

I've never resonated with that old saying that clothes make a man and it's hard to believe that TSM thinks like he does>>>

If so, don't they contradict one another? If clothes don't make the man, then why would a sock-wearing, man-dals-wearing dewd be a 'dork'?

If you are a nudist, why post a pic with evil shorts on? Take it off, take it ALL off.

Then post the pics...winking smiley

Date: September 05, 2013 02:58PM

I thought of this Thread when I first saw this YouTube Video last night...

Stoned Patrick Stewart
[www.youtube.com]

Here's the original Video...

Quadruple Take Masterclass
[www.youtube.com]

It's funny that I got to use "You're here to learn not to talk" with one of my students this morning who is only doing a Juice Fast/Feast because her son and her husband are insisting she does it in order to save her life. They both have done a 4 Month Juice Fast/Feast so they both know she needs it, but she's not too happy about it and she isn't letting me do my job.

Date: September 05, 2013 03:19PM

<<<John Rose, you said both these things right? ... If so, don't they contradict one another? If clothes don't make the man, then why would a sock-wearing, man-dals-wearing dewd be a 'dork'?>>>

A dork just means a nerd and has nothing to do with how successful they are, which is what I think of when someone says, "clothes make a man"! If you are successful, then you wear expensive clothes. If you are NOT successful, then you wear cheap clothes. However, I understand your point and it is well taken. The point I was making is that you hardly ever see anyone wear sandals with socks and when you do, they stand out like a sore thumb, you know, like a nerd or a dork. I'm not being judgmental and I even looked up the word dork before I used it to make sure that it wasn't offensive.

So what do I wear?

When I'm indoors, nothing and when I'm outdoors, as little as possible - shorts with no shirt and if this society was not so sick, I would be naked outdoors too. I have changed over the years. I used to go to my first appointment in shorts and a tank top, especially when it's 100 degrees outside. But now, I'll actually wear dress pants and a dress shirt just so I'll look more the role. I used to have to wear suits when I first got out of college and worked for other people, but I started my own business when I was 25 and have been self-employed ever since. I really feel sorry for anyone who has to work for someone else and they can't be themselves.

Date: September 05, 2013 03:28PM

JR, amen to your last sentence.

Date: September 05, 2013 03:34PM

<<<I find that men over a certain age (say, 60) do this quite often.>>>

Yea, the Geezers are another group that wears socks with their sandals and it just doesn’t look right to me, however, I’d say more like 70 instead of 60 because baby boomers are born from 1946 to 1964. Sandals are open toed for a reason and that’s to let those puppies breath. Indeed, there is nothing worse than when your dogs are barking.

Date: September 05, 2013 06:02PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> i wear socks with sandals since I'm often cold.

LOL! My eyes were blurring and I thought you said it was because you are OLD! As in John Rose's GEEZER remark.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: September 05, 2013 07:23PM

hello guys

from a feminine point of view, wearing socks with sandals looks, well, a little bit odd, hum I'd say unsightly, without wanting to offend - shoes should be preferred when the temperature is cold

but i guess it's a matter of taste

Cynthia

Date: September 06, 2013 01:02AM

banana who Wrote:

>
> May I ask your sign? You sound like a Virgo or
> Capricorn--very formal and perhaps feeling that
> it's not neat to wear tees and shorts?

Cancer.

>
> I like being comfy over classy. I used to spend
> quite a lot of time on my looks.

l wouldn't call myself classy, l am as l am. l don't spend time on my looks, l just wear clothes and go about my day.

I love Aussies' humor and down-to-earth
> demeanor.

Yes, many of us aren't fussed with too much. If someone tries to insult me or cut me off in traffic, who cares! Life is good, so why let nonsesne bother you, it's not like we can stop it. If bad things happen, so what! We try to change other people and situations beyond our control, but that is pointless, so why worry about anything. If you can live simple you don't need much.

Date: September 06, 2013 07:36AM

Regarding dorks.....

O.k, lets ask ourself this question. What is a dork?

This is what l think a dork is. It is a manmade title, it is a manmade perception, it is form of mask that we give a meaning to.

But is this an accurate description of a real person? Is a real person the clothing? Is a real person a manmade title or a human perception based on supericial appearances? l don't think it is.

If a person wants to wear socks with sandals, so be it. I'm not going to be put off by a dork. l want to know how that dork thinks and how evolved he is so l can understand hier better and approach them at hiers level.

What a funny old topic this has become. See...we buy into titles, but titles can cause false perceptions so we live under illusions. And living under illusions is living a lie, and a lie is a curse because it stops us from seeing truth. See, we live in a low level world and we are easily fooled the the stage props we call clothes, houses, cars and other materialisms. Who is the real person? Do we know ourselves, or do we live the lie and think we are those stage props?

Most of us think we are those stage props because we have forgotten who we are.

Moral of the message = we have been hoodwinked by stage props and we will remain in darkness until we wake up.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 07, 2013 12:41AM

storm

<<Also read sex with socks can make it, uhmm, better? J/k about that one. >>

okay, i think i've heard it all now

there are very few statements that will top that one

socks with sandals on a guy?

heh heh...

you mean like THISSS??

[www.pleasenotepaper.com]

okay, so maybe he didn't wear socks with his sandals nevertheless

he gave off a "sockswithsandals" VIBE.. and frankly, that's all that matters

however, if u wish to get your OWN "sockswithsandals" vibe paraphernalia

click on the link above so you too can be like "The Dude"

Date: September 07, 2013 11:30PM

" the Dude Abides"

from

"The Big Lebowski"

Date: September 08, 2013 12:18AM

<<Would it be fair to peg most raw vegan fooders as sober hippies?>>

guys, if you want to be a hippie, please wear sideburns, a really thick moustache,
"cop" dark sunglasses, unbutton your shirt a few notches, wear some gold necklaces
take drugs

women: keep your hair really long , wear paisley blouses, wear bell bottoms and smoke a lot of pot

if u don't want to be pegged as a sober hippie

better be filthy rich , dress sharp and eat at only very expensive raw food restaurants

and stop hugging so many people and be extremely choosy as to whom you associate with or even randomly speak to

women, don't wear "flowy" outfits

men, no facial hair

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables