Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What fruits have you been enjoying lately?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:33PM

I am not sure when watermelon season ends but it's still going strong around here. I suspect that our cool summer postponed the harvest and therefore we are going to be enjoying them until at least the end of September. smiling smiley Strangely, canteloupe and honeydew haven't been around too much. Especially the latter. I don't think I've had one honeydew this summer. Canteloupe just a few.

Besides my introduction to mamey, I have had these fresh blonde dates, the first apples from Michigan, and staples like bananas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What fruits have you been enjoying lately?
Date: September 09, 2013 11:17PM

The end of watermelon season is always a sad time. Nothing beats a nice watermelon to eat.

l've been enjoying a few apples each day for the last few months. Soon l switch to oranges. for a few months and then back to the fun stuff like watermelon and stone fruits. l like all fruits, especially watermelon, kiwi, apricots and peaches. l find that stones fruits can mold and deteriorate very very quickly (within days).

The best fruit l find to benefit me is watermelon. It always seems to be the most ripe and alkalising and never has any astringency.

Date: September 09, 2013 11:29PM

Yes! I have had trouble finding decent peaches sad smiley

One lovely abundance lately has been the "regular" big mangoes at good prices. I have tended towards buying the Manila ones due to the other kind never being ripe and usually stringy. But lately I have been able to purchase nicely sized ones for a buck or so. smiling smiley And sans strings.

Avocados seem to have hit a brief lull and are now going for $1.50, which is more than I usually pay for them.

But what is up with pears? It's a miracle to find any that are not rock-hard (and won't ripen), even in their prime season. sad smiley I love pears.

Date: September 09, 2013 11:37PM

Mangos are wonderful to eat.

Yes, it is very hard to find some decent fruits. Pears are always a problem, many hard pears around.

It's hard to get organic stones fruits ripe because the farmers need to pick them hard so the birds don't eat them beforehand, + shelf life needs to be extended as much as possible or else they rot quickly.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:59PM

It's still peach time here

the best ones are in basket, they are ripe and delicious - the other ones we never know they might end up in the garbage bin, unfortunately

Date: September 14, 2013 03:19PM

cynthia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's still peach time here
>
> the best ones are in basket, they are ripe and
> delicious - the other ones we never know they
> might end up in the garbage bin, unfortunately

What part of the country do you live in, Cyn, if you don't mind me asking? I live in IL and we have been getting in some MI peaches, which is funny. I don't recall them in the past but come to think of it, I recall IL peaches even! So I will try the MI ones next time I get over to a certain produce market that sells them. If they are still there...winking smiley

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: September 14, 2013 04:00PM

I am from the province of Quebec,Canada

peaches come from Ontario, just south

Date: September 14, 2013 04:01PM

Interesting...we always would get peaches from Georgia so I figured they couldn't grow in northern climates.

Sorry to assume you were from the States, by the way!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 15, 2013 08:11PM

I have been enjoying California grown organic Keitt mangoes. They are in season during September through October, and they are wonderful, mostly because they haven't been heat treated like imported mangoes from the tropics.

Date: September 15, 2013 08:34PM

Prana, are you saying that the Manila mangoes and ones from Mexico are irradiated? I am pretty good at determining whether a fruit is irradiated. I had to return papayas several times due to a ring around the center, which suggested that it had been zapped. sad smiley But the last time I bought a papaya, it seemed very nice. Best in a long time. smiling smiley

Date: September 15, 2013 10:43PM

Not irradiated, but heat treated. Dipped in hot water (from 120 to 180) for a period of time (20 to 90 minutes). This kill fruit flies and other pest, and also inhibits the mango's ability to fully ripen properly.

Date: September 15, 2013 10:49PM

Are the enzymes still viable then?

Date: September 15, 2013 10:53PM

I don't know. The mango isn't totally dead, else it wouldn't ripen at all. The heat treated mangoes do ripen, but sometimes the flesh inside is brown or sometimes they don't get to the full sweetness. It looks like there are steps that can be taken to improve the fruit after heat treatment see the section called HOT WATER IMMERSION TREATMENT in this link.

Date: September 15, 2013 11:00PM

Thank you. It's interesting because I wonder if perhaps that is just true for the green ones. I have found the Manila variety to be consistently able to ripen and in the last several years I have found the green ones to be rock-hard and unable to ripen so often. But a few weeks ago I scored some very good green ones that got soft. So maybe it's not across the board. I know that mangoes have quite a lot of enzymatic activity...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables