Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mushroom foraging
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:33PM

Anyone ever done/do this? My partner was "gifted" with a boatload of chicken-of-the-woods 'shrooms. His customer took him into the woods yesterday to show him where she gets it. We live near there, too. smiling smiley

This is it: [www.google.com]

Tastes like chicken!winking smiley But I am gonna saute it with olive oil and garlic. It is a bit unnerving because we're always warned about wild mushrooms. However, I found out online that it's a delicacy in a couple of countries and goes for $20 a pound! I have around $100 worth sitting here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mushroom foraging
Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:26PM

Chicken of the woods is safe. I recently foreaged a whole bunch of oyester mushrooms,yummy!

Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 24, 2013 05:21PM

An excellent book on mushrooms for temperate North America (esp the Pacific coast) is Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora. He says chicken of the woods is one of the foolproof four and a careful collecter is very unlikely to make a mistake. When harvesting only take the tender 2 inches along the edge and more tender flesh will grow out for later harvest.

Most mushroom poisonings are due to the white gilled Amanita mushrooms, Death Cap and Destroying Angel. So avoid all white gilled mushrooms if inexperienced. And don't eat any mushroom raw. Alot of the poisons are destroyed by heat and edibility guidelines are based on the presumption that they are cooked.

The Truffle is one exception as it wants animals to eat it and spread its spores. It is a true edible fruit of the fungi world.

Always leave plenty behind so the mushroom can spread its spores.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2013 05:27PM by brome.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 24, 2013 10:59PM

Um...I cooked it for lunch and my partner was pretty freaked. He ate a few pieces and then spit out the last one. sad smiley I think I am done with sulphur shelf (its other name).

You know what it felt like? Ever eat a raw Swiss Chard leaf and the oxalic acid is very strong and it burns the back of your throat? Same with raw eggplant--that horrid burn from the toxins within an unripe eggplant? I felt a slight burn with this 'shroom. And it was enough to put me off it.

It totally has the texture, as well as taste, of chicken!

Powerlifter, can I put it back in the woods? I am sure there must be more somewhere in that region, and winter's coming up too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables