Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brazil nuts, only one of two a day?
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 10, 2013 09:22AM

I read this and was concerned, is there any truth to this? I eat lots of Brazil nuts at times. Not often. They say just one of two a day is enough.

"The authors did, however, warn that Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brail nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues. (Thomson CD, Chisholm A, et al.,Am J Clin Nutr) Practical Tip: Why take expensive supplements? Enjoy just one Brazil nut each day and ensure your selenium levels remain OK."
[www.whfoods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brazil nuts, only one of two a day?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 10, 2013 03:11PM

The skin (layer) that brazil nuts have can be poisoning (if I remember right from wikipedia). Not everybody absorbs nuts very well so I see no prob.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: November 10, 2013 08:27PM

If you are worried about this then you should be tested after eating a good quantity of these nuts. I don't believe that it affects a healthy person but a person with a particular genetic trait could be affected. And remember as I always say they are very seldom RAW, and quite rancid out of season.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 10, 2013 10:42PM

Brazil nuts are an excellent source of selenium. The shell contains aflatoxin, but we don't eat the shell.

Brazil nuts can be purchased truly raw online: [www.rawguru.com]

Something to consider: Brazil nuts are one of the few tree foods that do not favor cultivation. They grow best in wild rainforest. Harvesting the nuts for cash helps provide incentive for preserving the rainforest, and supports indigenous people who might otherwise be forced from their native habitat.

Selenium is an essential micronutrient that is critical for reproduction, thyroid hormone metabolism, DNA synthesis, and protection against oxidative damage. It's probably pretty easy to be deficient in selenium on a raw vegan diet. For me, when I add up what I get on a nutrient calculator, I'm almost always low on selenium without a Brazil nut.

The RDA for selenium is about 55 mcg, and the upper limit is 400 mcg. One Brazil nut supplies about 95 mcg selenium, so you can eat 3 or 4 and remain below the upper limit.

Avoid selenium supplements, which may bring us over the upper limit when added to selenium in our diets.

The beneficial range for selenium is narrow. However selenium is absolutely essential.

Maybe scroll down to check out the subtitle "Selenium and Health" in this document from National Institutes of Health: [ods.od.nih.gov]

Date: November 11, 2013 07:32PM

Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested 4 nuts, at least not regularly, since you'll probably have selenium from other sources too.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 11, 2013 08:14PM

The first European to discover Brazil was Pedro Álvares Cabral on April 22, 1500 according to Wiki.
Where could we have gotten selenium if Alvares did not discover Brazil or are the nuts grown in other places?

Are there any other sources?
Something is not right. Maybe selenium is overrated or there are local sources.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 08:16PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 11, 2013 10:50PM

Good point.

Most people get selenium from meat and cooked grains.

Lucky we live in the 21st century. This of course begs the question of whether raw vegan is the most "natural" choice.

It is for me.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:17PM

My grandfather called them something awful, what they look like when they came in the shell. I cant even repeat it.

Date: November 15, 2013 06:53AM

I think I know. Did Grandpa come from the South? Kind of a common term there, at least for while. Hope it's not anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables