Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Barley Grass vs. Wheat Grass?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2006 11:53AM

Taste? Hardiness (of seeds and sprouts)?

I'm considering getting this kit.

Thanks. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Barley Grass vs. Wheat Grass?
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 25, 2006 02:49PM

It's so easy to grow you don't need a kit. It grows like grass.

What about the nutritional differenced between the grasses?

Alfalfa, wheat, spelt, barley, rye, oat....?

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: July 25, 2006 06:20PM

Hi, NNarz -

In my experience, and from what I've read, wheat and barley grass are pretty much similar nutritionally. BUT barley grass is very very bitter, can be hard to consume, and takes a little longer to grow, in my experience. But the growth issue might have been a easonal change thing.

geneticpromise

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 01, 2006 04:46PM

hmm, never had that issue myself. I've always found barley grass to be a little sweeter than wheatgrass. Unless, of course, you're letting it grow for too long a time.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 09, 2006 03:59AM

Ann Wigmore did a lot of testing on grasses, and found wheat grass to be the best for her purposes...

Date: August 09, 2006 05:10AM

wheatgrass is much sweeter than barley grass.

Posted by: jan ()
Date: August 09, 2006 09:29PM

I live close to "wild Oats" Since I grow my own wheatgrass, I'll try to grow some Barley and juice it and see which tastes the best, I'll get back and let you all know.
Peace,
Jan

Date: August 10, 2006 02:02AM

thanks Jan and everyone smiling smiley

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: August 10, 2006 04:44PM

Anyone grown spelt grass?

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: August 10, 2006 05:51PM

Hi rosemary,
I grow speltgrass.

Its like modern wheatgrass except it comes up red at first like rye does and then turns green as it grows. Its grown exactly the same way as other wheatgrass's are.

I forget what the more common kind grown from modern hybrid wheatberries tastes like now cause all I grow is spelt. I do remember that I had more trouble digesting and handling regular wheatgrass than spelt. Spelt is easier to stomach and also gives more of a lift at the same time. It feels like it has more nutrients and more life force in it I find anyway.

Date: August 11, 2006 08:35AM

Like all things, variety is important. I mostly grow wheatgrass, but will occasionally grow barley, rye or kamut for variety. I prefer the taste of wheatgrass, so that's my staple though.

With all of these, the nutrient profile is sightly different, but your growing method will make a difference too.

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: August 12, 2006 04:06PM

Hi RawSandi,
Cool. I like growing the different ones sometimes too smiling smiley Its nice to have some variety to keep things more fun smiling smiley

I love the little kitty at the bottom. Its cute smiling smiley btw is she licking her tale cause she got it into the wheatgrass juice again smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2006 10:30PM

Yes, she loves the wheatgrass!! grinning smiley

Date: August 15, 2006 02:03AM

I've grown barly, oat, and kamut grass as well as wheat grass. They are all awesome. My personal favourite is actually Oat grass. It tends to have longer thicker blades and therefore produces a higher yield than the other grasses. It is also very high is silica (excellent for yoga). It has less chlorophyll than wheatgrass though. Oh, and it produces a beautiful tasting regeuvilac. On the downside, I've had an increasingly difficult time finding good quality seeds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables