Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

True cinnamon
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 12, 2013 01:40AM

I was reading about how cassia is the most common form and really doesn't have the same benefits (or at least the potency) of "true" cinnamon from Sri Lanka (Ceylon). I bought some cinnamon from Indonesia today and sure enough, it's cassia. So I am on a quest for Sri Lankan cinnamon and was wondering if anyone has tasted a difference in the two types. It's supposed to be sweeter than cassia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: True cinnamon
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 12, 2013 09:31AM

hey Bwho

I don't, but you could get feedback from online reviews

[www.amazon.com]

"Update March 4, 2012:

I think by now I have given this tasteless garbage that is hyped as "true" cinnamon, a fair shake, about 2 1/2 months. I gradually reduced the amount of so called "bad" and "fake" cinnamon I was using, while upping the ceylon until I ran out, about 2 months ago, and only used the Ceylon crap since. A recent visit to my doctor revealed that my blood pressure had gone higher, lab test results later showed my cholesterol and triglcerides had also gone up noticeably. Also I hadn't been feeling so well. Doc wanted to know if I was doing anything differently. I told him about the cinnamon change. He advised I go back to doing whatever I had been doing before."

Date: November 12, 2013 06:54PM

Panchito, is there some reason that you chose to include a portion of a negative reveiw of this? Is this supposed to be helpful? You do realize that we all have different systems and this person might have already have had blood pressure issues. I certainly find it a joke that his doc recommended him to stop using it. Why the hell would I listen to someone who has no knowledge of herbal medicine give me advice on something? And another thing: this man seems a bit fishy to me. He knew about herbs yet is asking the doctor for advice? When I posted this, I wasn't asking people whether true cinnamon is okay or not. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the other, rarer type. I plan to buy some.

Here is the rest of his post, which you didn't include:

1) Cinnamomum burmannii. Also known as Indonesian or Korintje cassia/cinnamon. This is the variety you see sold as those neat, dark, thick, and hard quills, curled from each side. It also is probably the most likely variety to be sold as ground cinnamon, and probably what most people in the U.S. are used to consuming. Generally the cheapest of all, it also has the lowest (of the 3 so-called cassia varieties), in volatile/essential oils. Also has lower coumarin content than the other cassia varieties. Has a harsh, somewhat acrid taste that usually takes alot of sugar to counter.

2) Cinnamomum aromaticum. Also known as Chinese cassia. Fairly common tree in China/Southeast Asia. Whole form is not commonly sold to U.S consumers, and does not come in neat "quills". Could be used in some ground cinnamon products commercially or to the consumer?

3) Cinnamomum loureiroi. Also known as Saigon or Vietnamese cinnamon/cassia. Trees take a long time to grow, usually about 20 years before production. It is the highest priced of the "cassia" varieties. Saigon cinnamon has again become more available, after so many trees were destroyed in the war. Whole loureiroi comes not in rolled quills, but in slightly curved, pieces of irregular shaped/sized bark, with a beautiful color. Has a potent, very sweet, and somewhat fiery taste. It's 6 to 7% volatile oil content is the highest of all varieties, and contributes to it's intense flavor, the form most similar in taste to cinnamon candy. Combines well with ginger, cardamom, and other dominant spices. This is now most definitely my preferred variety for most uses, and I have just happily obtained a quality supply of it, whole pieces, (not from Amazon) at only slightly more than 1/2 the price of this "Ceylon" cinnamon. Excessive and everday use of loureiroi variety could certainly cause some concern about coumarin though, especially if a person has some sort of liver or kidney disease.

4) Cinnamomum verum. Also known as Ceylon, Sri Lankan, or true cinnamon. The main difference here is that the outer bark easily separates from the inner bark and only the inner bark is used. The inner bark is almost parchment thin and rolls up in many thin layers to make a "quill". Has the lowest volatile oil content (usually less than 1%) of all the species, giving it the weakest, most subtle taste/flavor, but also has the lowest coumarin content of any variety, if that is a concern to you. Some say it is more aromatic, than most other varieties, which may usually be true, but not necessarily so, in my particular experience.
-----------------

The bottom line for me, is that the Ceylon Cinnamon probably has some limited use in my household, at least until it's used up, but the Vietnamese will be my staple.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: November 12, 2013 06:58PM

I have had experience of true ceylon cinnamon but mostly in herbal supplements rather than seasoning my food with, as you say the majority of shop bought cinnamon is cassia species, which whilst similar doesn't share exactly the same medicinal effect. I believe this is why cinnamon studies are varied largely because many different species have been used and not always the ceylon variety.

Cinnamon is a great herb for increasing insulin sensitivity, supporting blood sugar health and is a good anti-microbial. I used it when i was having problems with adrenal fatigue, intestinal problems(candida etc) and blood sugar balance.

Cinnamon Bark Capsules

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 07:01PM by powerlifter.

Date: November 12, 2013 09:40PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Panchito, is there some reason that you chose to
> include a portion of a negative reveiw of this?

No. I could have chosen the most positive one. Have no clue about cinnamon. Good luck and report back to see how it goes

Date: November 13, 2013 02:04AM

powerlifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had experience of true ceylon cinnamon but
> mostly in herbal supplements rather than seasoning
> my food with, as you say the majority of shop
> bought cinnamon is cassia species, which whilst
> similar doesn't share exactly the same medicinal
> effect. I believe this is why cinnamon studies are
> varied largely because many different species have
> been used and not always the ceylon variety.
>
> Cinnamon is a great herb for increasing insulin
> sensitivity, supporting blood sugar health and is
> a good anti-microbial. I used it when i was having
> problems with adrenal fatigue, intestinal
> problems(candida etc) and blood sugar balance.
>
> Cinnamon Bark Capsules

PL, have you noticed that the flavor of the "true" type is very subtle? I don't want to buy capsules because I love the taste of it. I had been sprinkling some organic cinnamon on my raw apples for the flavor plus benefits and noticed how sweet it was compared to past varieties. However, I have no idea of origin because I bought it bulk. Yesterday Whole Foods was out of bulk and I ended up buying some from Indonesia. It turns out that is the cheapest type and it's very pungent and rather unpleasant. It also was very spicy and 3 percent oil. I have heard that the true type is very mild and sweet. And as you say, it's the one for balancing blood sugar. If anyone is faced with buying cassia, the best type is supposedly from Viet Nam.

Date: November 13, 2013 06:25PM

I was just thinking about this--it's possible that the person quoted on Amazon was a shill who is trying to scare people into not buying true cinnamon because he's really from Big Pharma and they need to make their $$$$ on diabetes meds winking smiley

Date: November 17, 2013 07:39PM

"scientifc" discussion between cassia and ceylon cinnamon

[nutritionfacts.org]

"I have seen studies saying that it is only the cassia that has the blood sugar lowering ability and not the other!

Exactly! But cassia is the one that is harmful. Cons outweigh the pros for Cassia."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Cinnamomum verum ("true cinnamon", Sri Lanka cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon)
C. burmannii (Korintje, Padang cassia, or Indonesian cinnamon)
C. loureiroi (Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia, or Vietnamese cinnamon)
C. cassia (Cassia or Chinese cinnamon)

Cassia is used in traditional Chinese medicine, where it is considered one of the 50 fundamental herbs.[5]

Due to a toxic component called coumarin, which can damage the liver, European health agencies have warned against consuming high amounts of cassia.[6]

Other possible toxins founds in the bark/powder are cinnamaldehyde and styrene.[7]

Medicinal research

Cinnamon is used in traditional medicine, and several studies have tested chemicals extracted from cinnamon for various possible medicinal effects.

In an experiment testing the effects of various plants used in traditional Indian medicine, an extract of Cinnamomum cassia had an effect on HIV-1.[41] Another study found that eugenol, a chemical found in cinnamon essential oils, and in other plants, inhibited the replication of the virus causing herpes in vitro.[42] The compound cinnzeylanine, from C. zeylanicum, also had antiviral properties in a model system using silkworm cells.[43]

Two studies have shown that including cinnamon and cinnamon extract in the diet may help type 2 diabetics to control blood glucose levels. One study used C. cassia,[44] while the other study used an extract (made from "Chinese Cinnamomum aromaticum", an older name for C. cassia).[45] Apart from the most common flavanol (epi)catechin and (epi)afzelechin, cinnamon proanthocyanidins contain (epi)catechingallate and (epi)gallocatechin units.[46] Furthermore, these proanthocyanidins are bioavailable and may have an effect on the target tissues.[47] However a Cochrane review study published in 2012 showed that cinnamon is not more effective than placebo in reducing glucose levels and glycosylated haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) (a long-term measurement of glucose control in diabetes). Authors concluded that "There is insufficient evidence to support the use of cinnamon for type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus".[48]

Pharmacological experiments suggest that dietary cinnamon-derived cinnamic aldehyde (cinnamaldehyde) activates the Nrf2-dependent antioxidant response in human epithelial colon cells and may therefore represent an experimental chemopreventive dietary factor targeting colorectal carcinogenesis.[49] Recent research documents antimelanoma activity of cinnamic aldehyde observed in cell culture and a mouse model of human melanoma.[50]

A 2011 study isolated a substance (CEppt) in the cinnamon plant that inhibits development of Alzheimer's disease in mice.[51] CEppt, an extract of cinnamon bark, seems to treat a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease.[52]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 07:45PM by Panchito.

Date: November 17, 2013 08:24PM

So when they are discussing the findings, they are referring to the real variety and not cassia?

I went and ordered a pound of true organic cinnamon from Frontier Herbs. I had gone to my local Whole Food's and surprisingly, they had a jar of the Ceylon (Sri Lankan "true" type) sticks but I discovered that my coffee grinder doesn't do the cinnamon sticks too well and so I ordered a whole pound. I may actually use it all by the expiration date if I consume at least a Tbsp. a day. smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2013 12:06AM

I just received my pound of true cinnamon in the mail! smiling smiley Frontier organic Ceylon non-irradiated. It tastes great, less filling. And I found it worked right away. Me likey.

Date: November 22, 2013 06:49PM

Yes! It's very subtle and sweet. I was worried because of some negative comments on Amazon but I bet they are shill-trolls. They are pretty easy to spot because they write in a very heavy-handed negative way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables