Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Have u read this???
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 10, 2013 08:43AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have u read this???
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 10, 2013 09:50PM

Hi Coconutcream,

I was very curious, so I googled around and found this obituary for Dr. Oldfield, written by the daughter of one of Dr. Oldfield's close associates.

It appears that yes, he was an advocate of "fruitarian" diet, and he was a physician to the Lady Margaret Fruitarian Hospital for 50 years. To be clear, "Fruitarian" diet was defined as, "lacto-vegetarianism with emphasis on fruit" (see below).

I think this book is a great find, and Dr. Oldfield seems to have led an amazing life!

Mrs. Audubon
OBITUARY
Dr. Josiah Oldfield (1864-1953) With the passing of Dr. Josiah Oldfield one of the few remaining links of the vegetarian movement with the Victorian era has been broken. How far back that link stretches is uncertain since he loved to make a mystery of his years, for, though his obituary notice states "in his 90th year," he had the foible of being thought much older. When I was a boy of some ten years, I remember him - a middle-aged man in my eyes - coming on a bicycle to my father's country cottage to a meeting of fellow vegetarians over fifty years ago. Many and varied have been his life's activities, for he originally trained for the legal profession and was called to the Bar at Linclon's Inn in 1892, and then proceeded to qualify as a doctor at Bart's in 1897. Before these professions were acquired he was a schoolmaster, and with his savings (amplified by earnings as a stonbreaker in vacation time) he payed his university fees, a proceeding common enough amongst indigent students to-day, but surely exceedingly rare in those times. Like my father, he was a friend of Gandhi's in the latter's student days, and I believe both have claimed to have converted him to vegetarianism.* Of his legal activities I know little, but there must be many who know much of his advocacy of food reform, for throughout his professional life he frequently took the platform, and even more frequently the pen, to disseminate his humanitarian and dietic views. Even in advanced years his writings retained the lucidity and elasticity of enthusiastic youth. He was at one time Secretary of the London Vegetarian Society and for about fifty years he was physician to the Lady Margaret Fruitarian Hospital at Doddington, a somewhat remote village appropriately situated in the heart of the Kentish orchards. As a practical and practising idealist in the cause of humanitarianism and vegetarianism, his influence has been great. A number of popular booklets in a lively and incisive style testify to his skill as a propagandist. His advocacy of fruitarianism (what we should term lacto-vegetarianism with emphasis on fruit) was especially valuable in the early days when the orthodox medical profession was outspoken against the so-called folly and danger of a meatless diet. In addition to law and medicine he obtained a degree in divinity and went to India at the beginning of the century where, by his own account, he "lived for some time in a Yogi's cave." It is evident that he was well endowed with the moral courage so necessary to the championing of unpopular and idealistic reforms. Dr. Oldfield was a living advertisement of his views, and if there be some who unkindly criticise vegetarians for living an unconscionable time, these same critics would be equally eager to denounce the practice if the exponent should have the misfortune to die relatively young. Dr. Oldfield, in continuing in health and vigour to the end, must have confounded his critics, the majority of whom he no doubt outlived. We offer all sympathy to his daughter in a loss that is as much ours as hers. B.P.A. From The Vegetarian News of Spring 1953

[www.flickr.com]

I'm always intrigued with reports about vegetarians of previous eras. My guess is that deliberate vegetarian lifestyles have been around for millennia. India of course is one great example.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 10, 2013 09:51PM

Any PDF available?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 10, 2013 10:25PM

Oops, I just noticed that the obituary was written by the associate's son (not daughter).

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: December 12, 2013 12:22AM

Cool read thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables