Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vitamin D
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 18, 2013 10:01PM

more info on this?

sun

i also heard mushrooms have vitamin D

and jtprndl wrote in another thread that sprouts have Vitamin D3

which sprouts?

which mushrooms are good for Vitamin D?

what are the best hours plus how long to get full sun exposure?

also what's the difference between all the types of Vitamin D's ( so very confusing)

and tips on which foods are the best

if supplements

which supplements do you take? ( i don't like any that have fillers binders, weird stuff etc. )

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin D
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 18, 2013 10:56PM

Sunflower greens and alfalfa from what I know contain vitamin D, but there are so many different kinds of sprouts that I'm sure plenty other varieties have it as well. I'm not sure about how much though. Vitamin D3 is what you get from the Sun and it's the most effective form of Vitamin D. Most people are deficient in this hormone (yes, not technically a vitamin) and it's very hard to enough vitamin D3 through your diet. You need around 5,000-10,000 IU's per day to prevent disease, not the extremely low RDA set by the government which is less than 1,000 IU. Vitamin D2 is much lower quality, I think because it's not utilized and absorbed by your body in the same way as D3. Maybe someone else could further expand on that. I've read that 11am-2pm is the best time to absorb vitamin D3, but it's not possible to overdose on vitamin D3 from sunlight because your body can regulate it.

[health.ucsd.edu]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 18, 2013 11:25PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> more info on this?
>
> sun
>
> i also heard mushrooms have vitamin D
>
> and jtprndl wrote in another thread that sprouts
> have Vitamin D3
>
> which sprouts?
>
> which mushrooms are good for Vitamin D?
>
> what are the best hours plus how long to get full
> sun exposure?
>
>
>
> also what's the difference between all the types
> of Vitamin D's ( so very confusing)
>
> and tips on which foods are the best
>
> if supplements
>
> which supplements do you take? ( i don't like any
> that have fillers binders, weird stuff etc. )
>
> thanks!

You're a thoughtful, intelligent being. Think about it: would Source Energy require us to go on some site and plug in our numbers to ensure a balanced diet? Use your Intuition. The Sun is the head honcho, m'dear. Game over.

Date: December 19, 2013 12:31AM

hi jtprindl

thanks for the info ... it was very helpful

banana who

<<You're a thoughtful, intelligent being. Think about it: would Source Energy require us to go on some site and plug in our numbers to ensure a balanced diet? Use your Intuition. The Sun is the head honcho, m'dear. Game over.>>

why WOULDN'T "Source" require us to on a site to plug in some numbers?
why not?
Source ( and just life itself) requires us to do a LOT of other far more onerous things

that's like asking " Would Source require us to eat food ? The sun is the head honcho. Game over."

though, quite honestly, that idea strikes me as strikingly beautiful

i would just love to bathe in the sun not just to utilize and activate vitamin D

but all other vitamin, minerals, amino acids etc.

thanks for the vision

any other ideas on vitamin D is very much welcome

thanks again jtprndl!! smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 01:39AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Sunflower greens and alfalfa from what I know
> contain vitamin D,

Alfalfa and other sprouts only contain vitamin D2.

Date: December 19, 2013 01:47AM

la_veronique Wrote:

>
> what are the best hours plus how long to get full
> sun exposure?
>
>
>
> also what's the difference between all the types
> of Vitamin D's ( so very confusing)
>

Here is some basic info from my site which talks about all these things.

Different forms of vitamin D

CHOLECALCIFEROL D3

CALCIDIOL 25(OH)D3 (second most active form, but needs further processing into 1,25(OH)2D3

CALCITRIOL 1,25(OH)2D3 (most active form, made from 25(OH)D3 above))

ERGOCAL CIFEROL D2 (Extracted from plants)

The Calcitriol form of vitamin D3 is the most active form that the body can use because it is a hormone that can work with the genes by turning them on and off and regulating body processes such as lowering blood pressure.

The proper vitamin D test to have done

The only vitamin D test you need is the CALCIDIOL 25(OH)D3

Or

25-hydroxy-D3

It is not necessary to do a test on the CALCITRIOL 1,25(OH)2D3

CHOLECALCIFEROL D3 is made in your skin or in animals fur/feathers. We need to get out in the sun to get this. This is just a precursor to the active form of CALCIDIOL 25(OH)D3 which is made in your liver. Then the 25(OH)D3 gets transported to your bloodstream, and this is what is measured in the blood test. After the 25(OH)D3 is transported to the blood, it then goes to the kidneys where it is metabolized into CALCITRIOL 1,25(OH)2D3 which can be measured in the blood also.

Nearly D3 is from living creatures and gets stored in the fatty tissue of the body after ingesting a certain amount.

D2 are from plants and doesn’t stay in the body for very long.

Vitamin D is also good for mood and can prevent various viruses

Vitamin D dose

Food and nutrition board say that:

0 – 50 years of age = 200 I.U per day

51 – 70 years = 400 I.U per day

71 + years = 600 I.U per day

But …the scientific proven doses to really make a difference are much higher. 400 I.U per day are no way near effective enough to stop disease and health problems.

15 – 20 minutes in the sun in bathers means you will make 10,000 I.U – 20,000 I.U of vitamin D3. So yes, the 200 or 400 I.U in pill form is very very small

Sunlight and sunscreen

With ultra violet light we have three different rays: they all have different wave lengths so they penetrate our bodies in different ways.

· UVC (100 – 280 nm)

· UVB (280 – 320 nm) – the good one

· UVA (320 – 400 nm)

The UVC is absorbed by the ozone layer, so we don’t have to worry about that.

The UVA is a very dangerous wave length because it wrinkles and makes our skin old. It goes deep into the skin and changes the cells. We want to avoid this.

What we need is UVB. We need it because it uses a form of cholesterol that is sitting in the skin to use as a precursor for the vitamin D3 that we need.

Windows filter out UVB but it lets through the UVA, so we are cooking our skin with the wrong wave length.

Scientists are now even showing that people are getting melanomas from not going out in the sun because people aren’t getting enough D3, so they open themselves up to more cancer. This might be a reason why sunscreen isn’t so good either (my opinion).

A tan is protection against the harsh waves of the sun, but do the tan slowly

Vitamin D doses and toxicity (it’s all proportional to body weight)

40,000 I.U to kill a rat. So that is equivalent to 7,000,000 – 10,000,000 I.U to kill a 75kg man.

There is no toxicity from up to 30,000 I.U (depending on body weight) . The only risk with extremely high doses (much higher) may be hypercalcemia.

If you are 0 – 1 year old and live at 30 degree latitude or higher, take 500 – 1,000 I.U D3 daily

If you are a teenager and live at 30 degree latitude or higher, take 4,000 – 5,000 I.U D3 daily

If you are an adult and live at 30 degree latitude or higher, take 5,000 – 6,000 I.U D3 daily

Pregnant women need 6,000 – 10,000 I.U per day

(the higher latitudes get less sunlight)

People in Australia are about 40 degree latitude [or less], so they don’t get enough sun during cooler months.

Only 30% of the vitamin D in the mother goes into the baby.

Dark skinned people are the most deficient people in vitamin D because their skin is tougher and keeps the sun out.

Note: vitamin D absorption depends on skin colour, lifestyle, tanning studios, seasons, blood level and individual health, full time outdoor workers, old or fat people who stay inside and are sensitive to upper limits…+ fat people get more vitamin D3 stuck in the fat so it doesn’t go into the blood after being stored, so they get more deficient.

Rats that were fed vitamin D3 during pregnancy had babies that never developed diabetes, but the rats that were never fed D3 had babies that developed diabetes later on in their lives. So…adult illnesses can develop by not giving babies nutrients in the womb

Things that block sun

· Chem. Trails

· Clouds

· Pollution

· Sun screen (Poison and blocks out UVB {the beneficial wave length} and lets in the bad ones. As soon as they introduced sunscreen to the market, the melanoma rate dramatically rose..studies have proven this) see 41:50 – 42:04 of youtube video below

· Indoors

Things that stop vitamin D3 absorption

· Poor kidney and liver function (D3 goes to the skin to the liver to the kidneys)

· Unhealthy colon

· Medications, especially anti seizure medications

· Chemo therapy

These notes were taken from the video called, Gabriele Stähler on Vitamin D3, with Bill Ryan

[www.youtube.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 19, 2013 01:49AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> hi jtprindl
>
> thanks for the info ... it was very helpful
>
> banana who
>
> <>
>
> why WOULDN'T "Source" require us to on a site to
> plug in some numbers?
> why not?
> Source ( and just life itself) requires us to do
> a LOT of other far more onerous things
>
> that's like asking " Would Source require us to
> eat food ? The sun is the head honcho. Game
> over."
>
> though, quite honestly, that idea strikes me as
> strikingly beautiful
>
> i would just love to bathe in the sun not just to
> utilize and activate vitamin D
>
> but all other vitamin, minerals, amino acids etc.
>
>
> thanks for the vision
>
> any other ideas on vitamin D is very much
> welcome
>
> thanks again jtprndl!! smiling smiley

I mean that it's too complicated and unnatural. Well, at least to me. Some people like the complexity. Whatever floats your boat...smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 01:50AM

l don't like refering to Mercola.com at all, but l will post some of his info here. Soon l vanish his negative presence from my site.

Mercola.com on vitamin D

It is not just Gabriele Stähler talking about this, it is also mercola.com and various scientists who have recently written extensively on vitamin D for the Hippocrates Health Institute magazine called Healing Our World (Volume 33, issue 2).

Here is what mercola.com has to say on Vitamin D:

For anyone that has a shower every half a day, you are not doing yourself a favour.

Number one, ........ you are washing the vitamin D three off your skin.(it can take up to 48 hours for the vitamin D 3 to go from your skin to your bloodstream).

Number two.......... your skin is the largest organ of your body, when you have a shower with water that has chlorine and fluoride in it , the pores of your skin open right up and let the deadly toxins in .

So summing it up, when you have a shower on a regular basis that is every half a day, your washing the Vit D3 of your body and pumping your body full of toxins, such as chlorine and fluoride.

You might smell pretty, but you are doing yourself a lot of damage.

So here we are in Australia with heaps of sunshine and yet most people who go to the doctor for a blood test have a lack of vitamin D three in the bloodstream, is there a message there.

In England where they have very little sunshine and they are only have a bath once a month, they are properly receiving more vitamin D three than us.

They may smell a little but they maintain better health.

When NOT to Tan

From a health perspective it doesn't make much sense to expose your skin to the sun when it is lower than 50 degrees above the horizon because you will not receive any valuable UVB rays, but you will expose yourself to the more dangerous and potentially deadly UVA rays. UVA's have a longer wavelength than UVB and can more easily penetrate the ozone layer and other obstacles (like clouds and pollution) on their way from the sun to the earth. UVA is what radically increases your risk of skin cancer and photoaging of your skin. So while it will give you a tan, unless the companion UVB rays are available you're likely doing more harm than good and should probably stay out of the sun to protect your skin.

During the times of the year when UVB rays are not present where you live you essentially have two options: You can use a safe tanning bed or you can swallow oral vitamin D3.

After Sun Exposure, Be Careful about Showering!

It's important to understand that vitamin D3 is an oil soluble steroid hormone. It's formed when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet B (UVcool smiley radiation from the sun (or a safe tanning bed). When UVB strikes the surface of your skin, your skin converts a cholesterol derivative in your skin into vitamin D3.

However, the vitamin D3 that is formed is on the surface of your skin does not immediately penetrate into your bloodstream. It actually needs to be absorbed from the surface of your skin into your bloodstream. The critical question then is: how long does it take the vitamin D3 to penetrate your skin and reach your bloodstream? If you're thinking about an hour or two, like I did until recently, you're wrong. Because new evidence shows it takes up to 48 hours before you absorb the majority of the vitamin D that was generated by exposing your skin to the sun!

Therefore, if you shower with soap, you will simply wash away much of the vitamin D3 your skin generated, and decrease the benefits of your sun exposure. So to optimize your vitamin D level, you need to delay washing your body with soap for about two full days after sun exposure. Now, few are not going to bathe for two full days. However you really only need to use soap underneath your arms and your groin area, so this is not a major hygiene issue. You'll just want to avoid soaping up the larger areas of your body that were exposed to the sun.

Many will dispute this recommendation as "conventional" thinking teaches that vitamin D is formed in the skin, but this research is based on Dr. Michael Hollick's work, which is over 25 years old. New evidence suggests the current view on how vitamin D is formed is inaccurate. At this time no one has ever tested whether vitamin D is formed in human sebum, the fat that your skin produces. The only study that supports that vitamin D3 is formed in the dermal epidermal junction was done in humans where the sebum was removed from the skin.

However, this has been extensively tested in animals and that is precisely where the vitamin D3 is formed. In fact that is where most of the oral vitamin D3 in supplements comes from—the lanolin and the sebum-like material in the skin of sheep and cows.

Additionally, you can rub vitamin D3 on your skin and it easily penetrates into your bloodstream (assuming you don't wash it off for 48 hours). This is also likely the reason why surfers in Hawaii who are in the sun and water continuously don't have vitamin D levels comparable to lifeguards that don't go in the water. The surfers typically have levels in the 70s while the lifeguards and others who are in the sun as much without going into the water will have vitamin D levels around 100. The bottom line is that washing the sebum off of your skin is NOT ideal and should be avoided when possible. You were NOT designed to use soap on your entire body. It is fine to wash areas that are prone to bacterial overgrowth such as your axilla (armpits) and groin, but it is in your best interest to leave the sebum that was designed to be on your skin, on your skin.

Obviously you can do as you wish, but it is my STRONG recommendation to avoid soap on most of your skin.

How Do You Know if You Are Getting Enough Vitamin D?

The key point to understand is that sunlight is composed of about 1500 wavelengths, but the only wavelength that will have your body make vitamin D are UVB-rays when they shine on unexposed skin. The key is that the UVB-rays from the sun actually have to pass through the atmosphere and reach where you are on the earth. This obviously does not occur in the winter for most of us, but the sun's rays are also impeded during a fair amount of the year for people living in temperate climates.

So how do you know if you have entered into the summer season and into the time of year, for your location, where enough UVB is actually able to penetrate the atmosphere to allow for vitamin D production in your skin?

It should be noted that this represents a very small portion of the total radiation from the sun that reaches the earth's surface. Much is filtered out by our atmosphere. So due to the physics and wavelength of UVB rays it will only penetrate the atmosphere when the sun is above an angle of about 50° from the horizon. When the sun is lower than 50°, the ozone layer reflects the UVB-rays but let thr The first step is to determine the latitude and longitude of your location. You can easily do this on Google Earth, or if you are in the U.S. you can use the TravelMath Latitude Longitude Calculator to find your latitude and longitude i. Once you have obtained that you can go to the U.S. Navy site to calculate a table to determine the times and days of the year that the sun is above 50 degrees from the horizon ii. Please view the video at the top of this page. The URL for the US Naval Observatory Azimuth table is [aa.usno.navy.mil]

For a more detailed understanding of this you can visit the University of Colorado State's page iii that discusses this in more detail. If you read the paper you will see that there are other factors, such as ozone concentration, altitude, air pollution, ground covered by snow or ice, and cloud cover that also contribute to the amount of UVB that is ultimately reaching your skin.

Translated to the date and time of some places on the globe, it means for example: In my hometown of Chicago, the UVB rays are not potentially present until March 25, and by September 16th it is not possible to produce any vitamin D from the sun in Chicago. Please understand it is only theoretically possible to get UVB rays during those times. If it happens to be cloudy or raining, the clouds will also block the UVB rays.

This is one of the reasons I now spend most of my winters in the sunshine state of Florida because in the center of the state there are more than two extra months of UVB as the sun doesn't disappear for winter until October 23 and comes back again much earlier, around February.

[articles.mercola.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 19, 2013 01:52AM

The vegan diet and vitamin D2 foods

Vitamin D foods

· pumpkin seeds (pepitas)

· sunflower greens = 92 I.U per 100 grams

· flax seed sprouts

· alfalfa sprouts

· skitake mushrooms (100 I.U per 100 grams for fresh and 1,600 I.U per 100 gram sun dried for D2).

· seaweed

· Kelp

· Wheatgrass

· Arame sea weed

· Mushrooms

· Olives

· Blue green algae

· Onion sprouts

· Buckwheat greens

· Fenugreek sprouts

These foods won’t contain enough vitamin D2, and besides, scientists say absorption of D2 is between 10 – 30%. The best thing most people should be doing is to supplement with a high quality vegan form of D3 (yes, there is a plant based form of D3).

[www.hippocratesstore.org]

I have no association with Hippocrates Health Institute, but l fully support what they do, the healthy vegan diet they promote and the various high quality lifegive supplements that they produce..

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 19, 2013 03:41AM

banana who

i love simplicity too and its a gift

simplicity appears when one has either 1. mastered something successfully or
2. understood something completely

cheers to you! smiling smiley

sproutman

excellent information

thanks a lot!

i have been doing a lot more kelp and dulse lately

but u say that's not enough D3?

do u supplement D3?

if so, what kind?

thanks!!

Date: December 19, 2013 04:11AM

I supplement with 10,000 IU everyday (Garden of Life, 5k IU per capsule) because I live in Wisconsin and it's December and... well that's all that needs to be said.

I just had my first meal of kelp today (kelp noodles), mixed with coconut butter and pink Himalayan salt. I soaked them in water and fresh lemon juice for about 3-4 hours beforehand to soften them up a bit. Tasted pretty good but because it's so cold, coconut oil/butter hardens and I have to spread them for a bit on the noodles and overall it doesn't mix in as well as if it were in its liquid state. I'd be able to add turmeric and black pepper if this were the case too.

Because coconut oil can sustain such high temperatures and doesn't require enzymes (medium-chain triglycerides), does anyone know if simmering it on low until it becomes liquid again makes it not a raw product? I would imagine it'd still be raw but not quite sure.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:16AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:18AM

Another thing on the D3, because it's fat-soluble, taking it with healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado, nuts) will help you optimize absorption.

Date: December 19, 2013 11:57AM

hi jtprindl

that's cool, your kelp mean ... sounds exotic and delicious!

it kind of made me laugh ( though i know its not funny) the vision of you trying to spread the coconut oil but it being so cold that it doesn't spread easily

that's a good question u asked

i see what u mean

maybe try to boil some water
then put in a thermometer to check for desired temperature after it cools a bit

then put a glass bowl floating on the water

and then put the coconut oil on top of that ( or something like that)

why not?

be the BOSS!!

hi jtprndl

i like garden of life
i guess their product is D3, right? (still learning which is which LOLsmiling smiley

thanks for the tip on taking it with fats
i like avocadoes best myself

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: December 19, 2013 12:09PM

I have never seen anything to suggest mushrooms or sprouts are a reliable source of vitamin D3. Infact from the study i read the mushrooms have to be sun-dried in order to produce the vitamin D. Unfortunately the vitamin D rich foods are not vegan and such can't be recommended on here.

The majority of vitamin D is met through exposure to sunlight. However many of us don't live in year round sunny climates, so dietary sources of vitamin D are very important to prevent deficiency of this nutrient.

We are still seeing vitamin D to be a common deficiency regardless of diet. Although naturally vegetarians and strict vegans have scored lower in vitamin D levels according to many studies.

Supplementation may even be needed for some individuals with severe deficiencies of vitamin D. For those with just slightly low levels of Vitamin D for example over winter and not currently consuming a balanced diet, then id recommend introducing reliable food sources before consuming supplements.

As always its best to have a blood test done to check if your vitamin D levels are actually low before supplementing because Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, it can build up in the body with high dose supplementation and can become toxic.

99% of the vitamin D3 supplements(active form of vitamin D and the one you want to supplement with) are not vegan, they are animal derived. There is one vegan society approved D3 spray although there is no research to proof that its as safe or effective to my knowledge.

Natu Health Food Store

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 12:11PM by powerlifter.

Date: December 19, 2013 03:23PM

I'm pretty sure Garden of Life is vegan

Date: December 19, 2013 03:46PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> hi jtprindl
>
> that's cool, your kelp mean ... sounds exotic and
> delicious!
>
> it kind of made me laugh ( though i know its not
> funny) the vision of you trying to spread the
> coconut oil but it being so cold that it doesn't
> spread easily
>
> that's a good question u asked
>
> i see what u mean
>
> maybe try to boil some water
> then put in a thermometer to check for desired
> temperature after it cools a bit
>
> then put a glass bowl floating on the water
>
> and then put the coconut oil on top of that ( or
> something like that)
>
> why not?
>
> be the BOSS!!
>
>
> hi jtprndl
>
> i like garden of life
> i guess their product is D3, right? (still
> learning which is which LOLsmiling smiley
>
> thanks for the tip on taking it with fats
> i like avocadoes best myself

Yep, it's definitely D3. Also included in each capsule is 150 mg of a 'raw, organic fruit and vegetable blend', and 285 mg of a 'raw food, probiotic, and enzyme blend'.

Date: December 19, 2013 03:50PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm pretty sure Garden of Life is vegan
>
> Vegetarian i think the last time i checked,
> although they might have changed it.
>
> Either way D3 is the preferred active form, if one
> has trouble for any reason converting D2 to D3 via
> the liver and kidneys.
>

Well, looking at the ingredients, what wouldn't be vegan? Label here: [www.thevitamincode.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:15AM by Prana.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:05PM

I think it was the vegetarian cellulose capsules that were previously made it vegetarian, they might have updated it however.

Although it doesn't show how they source the vitamin D3 so i suspect it will be animal based like most other D3. Not that it matters in my opinion, like i said above the vegan society approved D3 spray might not even work in the same way as D3 which is typically derived from sheeps Lanolin.

Infact this link has just popped up on Garden Of Life and answers the question.

[www.vrg.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:06PM by powerlifter.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:31PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> I think it was the vegetarian cellulose capsules
> that were previously made it vegetarian, they
> might have updated it however.
>
> Although it doesn't show how they source the
> vitamin D3 so i suspect it will be animal based
> like most other D3. Not that it matters in my
> opinion, like i said above the vegan society
> approved D3 spray might not even work in the same
> way as D3 which is typically derived from sheeps
> Lanolin.
>
> Infact this link has just popped up on Garden Of
> Life and answers the question.
>
> [www.vrg.org]-
> vitamin-d3-derived-from-lanolin/

If it was animal based it can't be vegetarian lol [www.gardenoflife.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:34PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:33PM

dairy and eggs are animal based foods yet considered vegetarian.

99% of D3 like i say is produced from sheeps lanolin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:34PM by powerlifter.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:40PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> dairy and eggs are animal based foods yet
> considered vegetarian.
>
> 99% of D3 like i say is produced from sheeps
> lanolin.

True but wasn't sure if that same concept applied to supplements. Not really sure what other option there would be for getting D3, I guess I'd have to do some researching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:43PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 19, 2013 04:47PM

When it comes to this essential hormone, I guess the best thing to do is just pick the option that causes the absolute least harm/exploitation to animals. Unless you live in a location where you can easily obtain D3 from the Sun on a consistent basis.

I'd like to get the opinion of other vegans on consuming animal products for survival, though. If you were in a situation where you would die if you couldn't eat or consume some type of animal product, would you let yourself die?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 04:48PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 19, 2013 08:44PM

fascinating discussion

thanks for the dig up on garden of life

i like sacchromyces cervicieae ( spell?) i know its an outstanding organism for the body

however, the amount of synthesis that was done is mind boggling
makes u wonder what the overall effects are for the body

hi powerlifter

nice post

which foods that are vegan are highest in vitamin D?

sproutman posted a list above
learnin...

Date: December 19, 2013 10:28PM

la_veronique Wrote:

>
> i have been doing a lot more kelp and dulse
> lately
>
> but u say that's not enough D3?

Great that you are doing Dulse and Kelp, but still not near enough vitamin D.

>
> do u supplement D3?
>
> if so, what kind?
>
> thanks!!

I've been alittle naughty and haven't supplemented, but l need to, especially during those long dark months during the cooler seasons. This is the supplement l will be using, nothing but the best supplements using a time consuming process to compile the tablets, that's why they are expensive:
[www.hippocratesstore.org]

The D3 supplement uses "Vitamin D precursors from Shitake mushrooms and rice germ extracts".

I still try to make time for morning or evening sun during the warmer months (full body exposure) where l will get about 25 minutes each day or second day, and l now shower every second day. I take my sun very seriously for D, enlightenment and for taking time to communicate with the sun. Oh hail almighty divine sun being, how l love you so.

It has been found that many people who work outside in sunny climates with good body exposure still have D deficiency.

The sun is a real treat, so we should make the most of it. It's about far more than vitamin D.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 19, 2013 10:37PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> I supplement with 10,000 IU everyday (Garden of
> Life, 5k IU per capsule) because I live in
> Wisconsin and it's December and... well that's all
> that needs to be said.

l would also be very very careful of buying synthetic D supplements with high I.U's. Why? Because those usually contain coal tar according to good science. And yes, many milks etc sold in shops would also contain coal tar regardless if it's certified organic or not.

l am not saying yours is synthetic, but be careful. Supplementing long term with synthetics has shown to have consequences on the body.

Date: December 19, 2013 11:28PM

powerlifter Wrote:

>
> There are no reliable vegan sources of vitamin D
> unfortunately.

Exactly.

>
> That supplement is interesting TSM

im not sure if it
> would be enough for rectifying vitamin D
> deficiency as if im reading it right per
> recommended dosage of 6 capsules it only contains
> 69IU of vitamin D3.

This supplement looks like it is more geared towards maintaining D levels, not building up D levels. I guess that if HHI guests are very deficient they would need synthetics for a while and then use the HHI supplement. If the 69 I.U didn't work to maintain D levels then HHI wouldn't be selling them...they do know how important D3 is and they wouldn't be messing up on that.

It is so expensive. Same goes with their digestive enzymes, probiotics, B12 etc. But you get very good quality.

Some maths of D3
If l can get at least 10,000 I.U of vitamin D3 every second day from the sun for 3 months, that would mean 450,000 I.U. And if l use 5000 I.U per day (all are conservative estimates) that would mean a 90 day supply.

If l continued to shower every second day and sunbathed every day l could greatly increase the amount of D3 stores, but it might not be double because the science saying it takes 48 hours to absorb might be true. This means that sun bathing twice as much might not equate to double the amount of D3 levels.

Then again, these are only conservative estimates. l might be getting 20,000 I.U from the sun and need less than 5,000 I.U of D3 a day. My stores may well be bigger than a 90 day supply, they could be as high as 180+ days supply.

And the big question is...how long will D3 store in the body? Fat people have larger stores, but thin vegans will probably have less storage capacity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 11:36PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 19, 2013 11:53PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> powerlifter Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > There are no reliable vegan sources of vitamin
> D
> > unfortunately.
>
> Exactly.

that is false. d3 can be obtained from lichens (fungus + alga)

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Cholecalciferol is also produced industrially for use in vitamin supplements from lichens, which is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.[7][8]"

example from google:

[vitashine-d3.com]

[www.vibrantnutra.com]

"VEGAN VITAMIN D3 comes from a special organic plant source called Lichen. This small unique plant species has the ability to grow and accumulate nutrients including vitamin D3!

Why is a vegan, plant-based vitamin D3 source important? Even non-vegan and non-vegetarian consumers would agree it is important once they find out that D3 is typically extracted from sheep's wool (Lanolin) or other animal sources. Yuck!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2013 11:59PM by Panchito.

Date: December 20, 2013 09:35AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> I checked out that particular product and noticed
> the IU is extremely low per serving. Wouldn't you
> have to take around 20 of them just to get around
> 1,000 IU?

did you checked the product I listed?

$16.50 PURE VEGAN D3 5000IU

[www.vibrantnutra.com]

Date: December 20, 2013 03:20PM

Panchito Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> -----
> > I checked out that particular product and
> noticed
> > the IU is extremely low per serving. Wouldn't
> you
> > have to take around 20 of them just to get
> around
> > 1,000 IU?
>
> did you checked the product I listed?
>
> $16.50 PURE VEGAN D3 5000IU
>
> [www.vibrantnutra.com]

It has GMO fillers, carrageenan, and sorbitol in it. The source of the D3 could also be GMO.

Date: December 20, 2013 09:45PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> There are many vegans reporting back anecdotally
> that these supplements aren't very good at raising
> vitamin D levels.
>

ho yeah?

[www.amazon.com]

look like good reviews to me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:15AM by Prana.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables