Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

combating oxidation with fermentation?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 23, 2013 01:15PM

I hear some people talk about the problem of oxidation when making smoothies. Not that I'm entirely convinced that this IS such a big problem - however I often ferment my smoothies for a short time with kombucha or kefir (especially if I'm not going to be able to eat them straightaway).

Apart from the extra value of the probiotics in my smoothies, it's my guess that this addition would guard (at least partially) against oxidation, as some of the microorganisms would utilise any oxygen that was present before it got a chance to do any harm.

Of course this is just my guess; I haven't seen any science to back it up.

What do you think? Have you seen any studies on this kind of thing? Is it a viable theory, or just me making daft stuff up? winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: combating oxidation with fermentation?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 23, 2013 07:15PM

The problem with smoothies is the high speed blending for more than 30 seconds. By the time you take it out of the hot blender it is too late in my opinion.

I prefer to blend soft fruits and fermented seeds for a short period and juice greens with a low speed juicer and ferment the juice.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 24, 2013 04:43AM

I don't think the smoothie has enough time to really ferment much. However, the kombucha or kefir will have some antioxidant in it, and this will protect your smoothie from oxidizing, just as putting lime juice on an avocado will keep it from going brown.

Date: December 24, 2013 11:28AM

RawPracticalist
I have recently got a vitamix (yay! lol) and the good thing about it is a smoothie literally takes a few seconds to blend. Certainly less than 30. I do love my juicer too.
Can I ask how you ferment your juice, and for how long? I generally add about a cup of kefir or kombucha and leave them in a dark place (room temp) for a few hours, or overnight. I'm going to be away for a few days at Christmas so I'm thinking up ways to take juice that will last... Going to try adding the kefir then freezing the juice overnight, then I'll keep it in a cooler bag in the car, let's see how that works out smiling smiley

Prana
I often leave them overnight to ferment, I would have thought that gives them enough time? No? Good point about the antioxidants, that's good to know.

Date: December 24, 2013 12:58PM

I got in fermentation only recently thanks to the Sproutarian and it seems to be working well. I do not use kefir or kombucha, I do my own ferment with sprouted seeds or beans or onions. I just use the fermented water from any of them in my juice for few minutes.
I do not keep my juice for long. I put the ferment in and let it sit for 5 minutes and drink it within 15 to 30 minutes max. To me juice is very perishable no matter what juicer you use. To me freezing destroy nutrients too.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: December 24, 2013 01:18PM

Water kefir and kombucha are awesome, two of my favorite fermented foods.

Kombucha will be what im drinking this Christmas whilst i pretend its alcohol to fit in lol.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:32PM

I am missing out, I will try them

Date: December 24, 2013 04:00PM

Raw Practicalist, I've seen studies on veg juice that actually improved (more iron etc) after fermentation. Not sure how long they fermented it for though. I'll be away for Christmas so I'm just doing the best I can, I know it won't be ideal to freeze etc, but it'll still be better than anything that'll be available to me while I'm away winking smiley

yeah Powerlifter that's my strategy too lol, I'm taking some awesome drinks home for Christmas, one is kombucha with carob figs and mixed spices, I swear it tastes a bit like cocacola! And the other is grape juice mixed with kefir, that'll be my red wine substitute ;O) Hey you're from Scotland aren't you Powerlifter? Come and say hi on the Raw Food Scotland facebook page smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: December 24, 2013 04:50PM

You are right lisa, freezing is far better than any other alternatives.
For me I always have the ingredients not to far, the indoor greens and the sprouts. When I travel I eat local fruits.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 24, 2013 06:00PM

Powelifter, with kombucha, you won't have to pretend you are drinking alcohol, because you really are drinking alcohol.

Date: December 24, 2013 06:21PM

The question. How does the bad sugar becomes the healthy sugar through fermentation as in kombucha ?

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 24, 2013 06:21PM

One time I tried the kombucha (spice korean) from the supermarket and it gave me the worst crazy bloating of my life. I had to do like three colonics to get that stuff out. Watch out if this is your first time with combucha. It could ruin your holidays.

Date: December 24, 2013 10:50PM

Cheers Powerlifter, yeah my kitchen is like a crazy laboratory winking smiley My fave lately is using a coffee substitute (I use 'nocaf') instead of tea. That's how I got the coca cola flavour one.

yep, I get quite a buzz sometimes, especially if I've left them to ferment for a few days, and especially if I've added MSM in! Could be the tryptophan as well mind you, it doesn't feel like that 'alcohol' feeling, it's nicer and more calm. My bf said he felt drunk in work one time cos of the kefir I'd given him, lol.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables