Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

FERMENTED FOODS AND WHY AVOID MOST OF THEM
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 26, 2013 07:19AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FERMENTED FOODS AND WHY AVOID MOST OF THEM
Date: December 26, 2013 09:23AM

Ferments have a good reputation around the world, but we must have them in moderation. It's such a pity because ferments break down so many anti-nutrients and make food much more digestable.

There is also evidence that the bacterial strains do increase acidity in the intestines, that's why good bacteria levels overpower many of the bad bacterial strains.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 26, 2013 01:50PM

Thanks for the article.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Risks of consuming fermented foods

Alaska has witnessed a steady increase of cases of botulism since 1985.[13] It has more cases of botulism than any other state in the United States of America. This is caused by the traditional Eskimo practice of allowing animal products such as whole fish, fish heads, walrus, sea lion, and whale flippers, beaver tails, seal oil, birds, etc., to ferment for an extended period of time before being consumed. The risk is exacerbated when a plastic container is used for this purpose instead of the old-fashioned, traditional method, a grass-lined hole, as the botulinum bacteria thrive in the anaerobic conditions created by the air-tight enclosure in plastic.[13]

The World Health Organization has classified pickled foods as a possible carcinogen, based on epidemiological studies.[14] Other research found that fermented food contains a carcinogenic by-product, ethyl carbamate (urethane).[15][16] "A 2009 review of the existing studies conducted across Asia concluded that regularly eating pickled vegetables roughly doubles a person's risk for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma."[17]"

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: December 26, 2013 02:17PM

Anyone who believes that the "World is Perfect" or uses "Yin and Yang" to describe Food is a FOOL!!! This clown has a Medical Degree and claims to be a Nutrition Consultant and actually believes that "Fruit is NOT a Low-Calorie Food"! When anyone makes these kinds of statements, it's hard to believe anything they say.

Date: December 26, 2013 02:29PM

I think he is making a good point when warning about Aldehyde poisoning but the yin and yan theory is questionable.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 28, 2013 09:40PM

Puzzled - can somebody please explain this sentence from the article for me:

"The person’s sodium/potassium ratio starts to decline and one’s vitality diminishes".

I don't really get this - how can a ratio decline? Is it the sodium or potassium declining? Or both? *confused

Date: December 28, 2013 09:42PM

Sproutarian Man - what would your defininition of 'in moderation' be?

Date: December 28, 2013 09:55PM

just came across this pretty reasonable-sounding counter-argument,

[blog.bentheurbanfarmer.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:39AM

I can see kombucha being addictive, as caffeine is addictive, and there is caffeine in the tea that is in the kombucha.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:47PM

Are olives fermented? I'm thinking of buying some kalamata olives that are packed in pure water, cayenne pepper, oregano, garlic and celtic sea salt (the brine), but wasn't sure if that's considered fermented. Had them before though and they're delicious, going to use them on salads, which will be one of the small percentages of my diet as I make the transition to sproutarian smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2013 07:23PM

Prana, kombucha can be made with different kinds of teas that don't contain caffeine. That's what I usually do as I'm sensitive to caffeine (It's still a bit addictive though, cos it tastes so good, lol).

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: December 29, 2013 07:57PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prana, kombucha can be made with different kinds
> of teas that don't contain caffeine. That's what
> I usually do as I'm sensitive to caffeine (It's
> still a bit addictive though, cos it tastes so
> good, lol).

Im not even sure if the fermentation process possibly lowers the caffeine because i don't feel it at all from kombucha, yet raw chocolate or black tea kills me.

Yet black tea kombucha i don't feel it like i say.

Date: January 01, 2014 09:17PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sproutarian Man - what would your defininition of
> 'in moderation' be?

That's a good question. It's hard to say because there are so many unknowns. l initially thought 3 or 4 times per week where a portion of the meal is fermented. Now l think 5 times per week might be o.k.

It's best we keep an eye on our ferment consumption and not have too much. Naturally l am very very fond of fermented foods for many many fine reasons, so l will continue to ferment 4 - 5 times per week, mainly sprouted grains and nuts.

Date: January 01, 2014 09:23PM

I have tried fermentation for more than a month now it works.
Maybe Lawrence Wilson does not have the facts right.
Too much of it is bad of course, too much water drinking is bad too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 09:25PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: January 02, 2014 01:11PM

Powerlifter, yes I've read that kombucha decreases the caffeine content a bit. I'm similarly sensitive to chocolate and tea etc, but kombucha isn't so bad for me at all. I still have to watch it though winking smiley Plus I prefer the taste of my herbal blends. I've got nettle on the go at the moment, it's lovely.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables