Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cell apoptosis
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 17, 2014 05:32PM

[nutritionfacts.org]

"The anticancer effects of the turmeric pigment curcumin extend well beyond its ability to block carcinogens. The anticancer effects of curcumin mainly result from the multitude of ways it regulates programmed cell death.

It is estimated that the human body consists of 10 or so trillion cells, that's a million million. Almost all of these cells get turned over within approximately 100 days. We're like a new person, every three months. We reinvent ourselves physically. And since we're just physically made of air, water, and food—those are the only inputs, you are what you eat literally, physically. In a sense our body has to rebuild itself every three months with the building materials we deliver to it through our stomach. Our mouths are like the access road to the continual construction site to our body. Trucks roll in three times a day. What do we want them to deliver? Some shoddy cheap stuff we scrounged around for or bought at the discount outlets that's just going to fall apart? Or do we want to build our foundation solid? We are each walking around inside the greatest known architectural structures in the universe. Let's not ruin such grand blueprints by consuming crap.

Anyway, we only own the biological real estate we're born with, so if we need to rebuild every three months, we also need a wrecking crew. If we're replacing 10 trillion cells every hundred days, that means we have to kill off like 100 billion cells every day. Out with the old, in with the new.

We do that primarily through apoptosis, pre-programmed cell death, from the Greek ptosis, meaning falling, and apo, away from, it's our cells falling away from our body. For example, we all used to have webbed fingers and toes. Literally. Each one of us in the womb until about 4 months, when apoptosis kicks in, and the cells in the webbing in between kill themselves off to separate our fingers.

Some cells overstay their welcome, though, like cancer cells. They don't die when they're supposed to by somehow turning off their suicide genes. What can we do about that? Well, one of the ways curry kills cancer cells is by reprogramming the self-destruct mechanism back into cancer cells. Let me just run through one of these pathways.

FAS, is a so-called death receptor, which activates the FAS associated death domain, along with death receptor five, and death receptor four. FADD then activates caspase-8, which ignites the death machine, and kills the cell. Where does curry powder fit into all this?

In cancer cells, curcumin, the pigment in the spice turmeric that makes curry powder yellow, upregulates and activates death receptors, as has been demonstrated in human kidney cancer cells as well as skin cancer, and nose and throat cancer.

It can also activate the death machine directly, as has been shown in lung cancer and colon cancer. Caspases are so-called executioner enzymes, that when activated, destroy the cancer cell from within by chopping up proteins left and right, kind of death by a thousand cuts.

And that's just one pathway. Here's all the other ways curcumin can affect apoptosis. And here's all the different types of cancer cells curcumin can kill, but it tends to leave normal cells alone for reasons that are not fully understood. Overall, this review showed that curcumin can kill a wide variety of tumor cell types through diverse mechanisms. And it's because curcumin can affect numerous mechanisms of cell death at the same time, it's possible that cancer cells may not easily develop resistance to curcumin-induced cell death, like they do to most chemotherapy. Furthermore, its ability to kill tumor cells and not normal cells makes curcumin an attractive candidate… for, supper? Can't make money on some spice you can buy anywhere. No, an attractive candidate for drug development."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cell apoptosis
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:25PM

Yep, curcumin is powerful stuff, I use an organic raw turmeric extract which is 98% curcumin and also mix it with my dog's food every day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 06:31PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:31PM

Turmeric is brilliant, really potent anti-inflammatory properties also. Inflammation can be a root factor in many diseases such as cancer and auto-immune disorders.

I sometimes take curcumin x4000 capsules but at the moment am taking it as part of serranol, which is a great multiple formula(80,000IU serrapeptase, curcumin x4000 extract, brown seaweed extract and 1000IU of Vitamin D3).

Serranol doubles up as a decent vitamin D3 supplement to boost intake, the weather here has been terrible for months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 06:32PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:46PM

It's also fat-soluble so I usually take it with nuts or seeds, just mix the powder in a bit of water and down it real fast. Black pepper also aids in the absorption of curcumin. It has so many proven benefits... powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, liver detoxifier, antioxidant, antibacterial, cardiovascular health, etc.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 17, 2014 07:31PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's also fat-soluble so I usually take it with
> nuts or seeds, just mix the powder in a bit of
> water and down it real fast. Black pepper also
> aids in the absorption of curcumin. It has so many
> proven benefits... powerful anti-inflammatory,
> anti-depressant, liver detoxifier, antioxidant,
> antibacterial, cardiovascular health, etc.

I take 2 t.,(just shy of 5 grams), of dry organic turmeric a day. I used to take a whole T. but it turned my skin too yellow and I was getting bruises from it thinning my blood too much. Backing off to 2 t. stopped the bruising and overly yellow skin.

Date: March 17, 2014 08:42PM

farther info on apoptosis:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Defective pathways

The many different types of apoptotic pathways contain a multitude of different biochemical components, many of them not yet understood.[40] As a pathway is more or less sequential in nature, it is a victim of causality; removing or modifying one component leads to an effect in another. In a living organism, this can have disastrous effects, often in the form of disease or disorder. A discussion of every disease caused by modification of the various apoptotic pathways would be impractical, but the concept overlying each one is the same: The normal functioning of the pathway has been disrupted in such a way as to impair the ability of the cell to undergo normal apoptosis. This results in a cell that lives past its "use-by-date" and is able to replicate and pass on any faulty machinery to its progeny, increasing the likelihood of the cell's becoming cancerous or diseased.

A recently described example of this concept in action can be seen in the development of a lung cancer called NCI-H460.[41] The X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP) is overexpressed in cells of the H460 cell line. XIAPs bind to the processed form of caspase-9, and suppress the activity of apoptotic activator cytochrome c, therefore overexpression leads to a decrease in the amount of proapoptotic agonists. As a consequence, the balance of anti-apoptotic and proapoptotic effectors is upset in favour of the former, and the damaged cells continue to replicate despite being directed to die.

Dysregulation of p53

The tumor-suppressor protein p53 accumulates when DNA is damaged due to a chain of biochemical factors. Part of this pathway includes alpha-interferon and beta-interferon, which induce transcription of the p53 gene, resulting in the increase of p53 protein level and enhancement of cancer cell-apoptosis.[42] p53 prevents the cell from replicating by stopping the cell cycle at G1, or interphase, to give the cell time to repair, however it will induce apoptosis if damage is extensive and repair efforts fail. Any disruption to the regulation of the p53 or interferon genes will result in impaired apoptosis and the possible formation of tumors.

Inhibition

Inhibition of apoptosis can result in a number of cancers, autoimmune diseases, inflammatory diseases, and viral infections. It was originally believed that the associated accumulation of cells was due to an increase in cellular proliferation, but it is now known that it is also due to a decrease in cell death. The most common of these diseases is cancer, the disease of excessive cellular proliferation, which is often characterized by an overexpression of IAP family members. As a result, the malignant cells experience an abnormal response to apoptosis induction: Cycle-regulating genes (such as p53, ras or c-myc) are mutated or inactivated in diseased cells, and further genes (such as bcl-2) also modify their expression in tumors."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 08:45PM by Panchito.

Date: March 17, 2014 10:43PM

another interesting bit. Apoptosis starts in the mitochondria (the bacteria/alien element of each cell). In other words, what makes the cells die (and thus be a healthy organism) is the alien part of the cells. The mitochondria is not afraid of death and actually engage in suicide in real bacteria to the benefit of the rest of the bacteria population (they are not selfish - they have a group mentality). This symbiosis with bacteria helps you live longer.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Evolutionary origin

Biologists had long suspected that mitochondria originated from bacteria that had been incorporated as endosymbionts ("living together inside"winking smiley of larger eukaryotic cells. It was Lynn Margulis who from 1967 on championed this theory, which has since become widely accepted.[58] The most convincing evidence for this theory is the fact that mitochondria possess their own DNA and are equipped with genes and replication apparatus.

This evolutionary step would have been risky for the primitive eukaryotic cells, which began to engulf the energy-producing bacteria, as well as a perilous step for the ancestors of mitochondria, which began to invade their proto-eukaryotic hosts. This process is still evident today, between human white blood cells and bacteria. Most of the time, invading bacteria are destroyed by the white blood cells; however, it is not uncommon for the chemical warfare waged by prokaryotes to succeed, with the consequence known as infection by its resulting damage.
One of these rare evolutionary events, about two billion years before the present, made it possible for certain eukaryotes and energy-producing prokaryotes to coexist and mutually benefit from their symbiosis.[59]

Mitochondriate eukaryotic cells live poised between life and death, because mitochondria still retain their repertoire of molecules that can trigger cell suicide.[60] This process has now been evolved to happen only when programmed.[citation needed] Given certain signals to cells (such as feedback from neighbors, stress or DNA damage), mitochondria release caspase activators that trigger the cell-death-inducing biochemical cascade. As such, the cell suicide mechanism is now crucial to all of our lives.

another interesting bit about the apoptosis of the whole body:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"‘’’Age-induced, soft, or slow phenoptosis’’’ is the slow deterioration and death of an organism due to accumulated stresses over long periods of time. In short, it has been proposed that aging, heart disease, cancer, and other age related ailments are means of phenoptosis. “Death caused by aging clears the population of ancestors and frees space for progeny carrying new useful traits.” [3] It has also been proposed that age provides a selective advantage to brains over brawn.[4] An example made by V. P. Skulachev provides that of two hares, one faster and one smarter, the faster hare may have a selective advantage in youth but as aging occurs and muscles deteriorate it is the smarter hare that now has the selective advantage."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:45PM by Panchito.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 17, 2014 11:34PM

since she changed her entire diet, why would we conclude that it was turmeric?

unscientific rubbish articles.

[naturalsociety.com]

[www.endalldisease.com]

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: March 18, 2014 12:08AM

so with all the below working in our body, we need turmeric?

don't ask me why do people get cancer -- people eat junk, and engage in unhealthy habits, the immune functions fail.

but in those who are engaging in proper diet, etc, the below functions are not good enough?

that is what is being suggested, right?

[www.rndsystems.com]

Cells of the Immune System
The response to pathogens is orchestrated by the complex interactions and activities of the large number of diverse cell types involved in the immune response. The innate immune response is the first line of defense and occurs soon after pathogen exposure. It is carried out by phagocytic cells such as neutrophils and macrophages, cytotoxic natural killer (NK) cells, and granulocytes. The subsequent adaptive immune response includes antigen-specific defense mechanisms and may take days to develop. Cell types with critical roles in adaptive immunity are antigen-presenting cells including macrophages and dendritic cells. Antigen-dependent stimulation of various cell types including T cell subsets, B cells, and macrophages all play critical roles in host defense.

B Cells

Dendritic Cells

Granulocytes

Megakaryocytes

Monocytes/Macrophages

Natural Killer (NK) Cells

Platelets

Red Blood Cells (RBCs)

T Cells

Thymocytes

Date: March 18, 2014 12:51AM

george malkmus:

cured cancer through dietary change. no chaga, no turmeric.

hard to believe, I know, what with only 11 immunological cells working for us.

"Thirty-six years ago I was told I had colon cancer. I did not want to go the medical route for my colon cancer as my mother had done for her colon cancer. She experienced horrible results to the point that, at mom’s death, I felt the treatments had caused her death. So, I went searching for an alternative.

This search Lord led me to an evangelist in Texas by the name of Lester Roloff. He discouraged me from going the medical route, while encouraging me to adopt God’s Genesis 1:29 diet of 100% raw, plant-foods and to drink large amounts of freshly extracted, raw vegetable juices.

Not long after making that diet change, I started to get well. Within days my rectal bleeding had stopped and in less than a year, my baseball-sized tumor in my colon had vanished — all without any assistance from the medical profession.

I experienced these positive results on an a 100% raw, plant-source diet."

Date: March 18, 2014 02:44AM

there are over 10 thousands types of cancer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables