Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Teeth and Gums
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: May 01, 2009 07:42PM

Its been over 2 1/2 years I've been eating high raw, lots of fruit, I love oranges and eat them every day. My gums are receding a bit more than usual recently and I'm concerned and don't want to end up in trouble. I've heard people mention a waterpik. I floss every day and brush twice a day. Will a waterpik help? Any other suggestions?

Dulset

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teeth and Gums
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 01, 2009 07:54PM

Dulset,

A Waterpik helps, but are you being careful to rinse your mouth thoroughly after eating acidic fruits, but before brushing? This is very important!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 01, 2009 08:46PM

You might want to vary your fruit more-- most folks have problems with their teeth if they eat too much citrus. Also, eating more greens may help, because they provide the minerals your gums and teeth may be missing.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: May 02, 2009 04:28AM

Hi Dulset,

I was asking about teeth and gum care a while back and someone recommended pascalite clay(I've forgotten whom,apologies!).. and I still haven't gotten around to ordering some but it just popped into my mind after reading this and intuitively,I reckon its the kind of thing that could help. [www.pascalite.ca] It suggests on that website that it may be used to help tooth and gum problems. Worth a go,methinks! :-)

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: May 09, 2009 08:56PM

I have also heard that in Japan they use Co-Enzyme Q10 for receding gums (it also helps with heart care).

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: May 09, 2009 11:58PM

Sometimes I think people overdo it in terms of dental hygiene. And I'm not just regurgitating what D. Graham states in 80/10/10, but off personal experience as well. I've never really flossed that much, and for a period in my late teens didn't even brush my teeth at all. I've never had a single cavity in my life, and though I haven't visited a dentist in some time, all signs seem to indicate my teeth/gums are doing just fine.

Could be just luck, who knows, but I am doing a high fruit raw diet right now, so time will tell if things get messed up. I think I'm going to be ok.

I never really ate candy or anything as a kid, which I definitely think has played a positive part in my dental health, since most other children are raised on a lot of candy and sweets.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 10, 2009 11:20AM

Reading this about the Pascalite, I recall that I've got some BENTONITE clay powder. I'm going to dig it up and use it. People say amazing things about bentonite too. I read the link from ROIRRAW and the uses they say that users have reported. I recall some of the same things about bentonite clay. My teeth and gums are the pits - quite literally - probably because of years of neglect, years of eating garbage, and probably in part because of lots of belching over the years. I've been pretty hard on myself and my teeth and gums are taking it in the teeth! I do better now than I ever have, but for some reason I feel pain when eating some hard things.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 10, 2009 04:07PM

I know Uncle Harry's do some clay products.

[www.uncleharrys.com]

I'd love to try them but the shipping charges to the UK are so much. If anyone knows of any UK company who sells Uncle Harry's stuff I'd be really interested.

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: May 11, 2009 05:17PM

Found this article today about combining pescalite and Sangre de Drago...

Re: Toothpaste without fluor
Ieneke van Houten
Funny you should ask! I was just telling an Amazon friend about Pascalite. For years, I have been brushing my teeth with Pascalite powder. It is an fossil Bentonite clay with many wondrous healing qualities that cannot be adequately explained by present day science. Pascalite is one of those "Gifts from the Living Earth", like my beloved wild AFA algae. Please just Google it and you will find several sites that sell it. Pascalite has a gazillion uses, is ridiculously cheap, and a bottle lasts forever. My teeth have seen action for 60 years, and not all of them are capped yet. The uncapped teeth are quite worn down and really sensitive. Pascalite seems to somehow remineralize them. I cannot recommend this substance highly enough. They make a toothpaste too. If I use toothpaste or straight Sangre de Drago (see below) because I don't feel like fussing with powder my teeth start hurting after a few days. Recently another dimension was added to the tooth care by 2 Amazon formulas. Some of our people had been using opened capsules of Sumacazon to brush with, and experiencing renewal of gum tissue. Then someone experimented with Sangre de Drago drops on a toothbrush. Lo and behold, it foams up, leaves your mouth feeling incredibly refreshed, tightens gums immediately, and is whitening to boot. So, my tooth powder these days is a small jar of Pascalite with the contents of Sumacazon capsules mixed in, and when I brush i squirt a drop of Drago into my mouth. It sounds complicated but it feels great! The notes below are from a recent conference call on animal health. Sangre de Drago saves Teeth! An ancient German Shepherd with terrible gum disease had teeth that were loose and black with tartar. He had already lost a tooth when he tried to eat some real food instead of just gulping soft mush. Thanks to Sangre de Drago he was crunching chicken necks again in a few weeks! At the advice of Kay, his owner had put some drops of Sangre de Drago on her finger and massaged his gums. The next morning, his gums were pink. They had been white and gummy from lack of circulation. In 4 days the black tartar was falling off his teeth! Kay put Sangre de Drago to the test. She gave it to many other clients. Every single one of them reported the same results: when Sangre de Drago was applied twice daily tartar started falling off the teeth in 4-7 days. Veterinarian Randy McMillan had seen the same results, and added this observation: Many older dogs with a bad mouth have a bad heart too. Giving them anesthesia in order to clean their teeth might be fatal! Side effects from Sangre de Drago: Better digestion and better immunity through all the anti-oxidants! Ien in the Kootenays

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 14, 2009 05:15AM

Just a thought...

Someone suggested somewhere (sorry, can't remember where!) that, on a standard cooked diet, our gums are swollen/diseased, and when we move to raw, the swelling recedes. That can then 'expose' areas that were already exposed before, ie receding before, but simply weren't apparent.

Date: May 14, 2009 03:38PM

Thanks for the input everyone. The bentonite clay and Sangre de Drago etc sounds worth a try ROIRRAW. Sharrhan, I do eat a good amount of greens most every day but I am still getting some etching near the gumline on some teeth. I do rinse most of the time but that's only been recently since I noticed it happening, otherwise my teeth have always been good. I gather brushing shortly after eating acidic fruit is a no no? Is that why there's signs of etching?

Debbie, I hope you're right about the gums, a lot of my body has shrunk since crossing over to raw but I have heard a lot of cautions about teeth and lotsa fruit and I do eat lotsa fruit. Stopping the fruit etc is not an option so I need to change something I'm doing.

Dulset

Date: May 14, 2009 06:59PM

Just brushed with bentonite clay. I love the way it makes my teeth feel!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:33AM

A waterpik has helped me a lot.

When my dentist checks my teeth, he tells his assistant the pocket depth around each tooth, and his assistant keeps a record. I used to have some deep gum pockets, some measuring "4". Gum pockets are not good because food gets stuck in the pockets, feeds bacteria, and starts to ferment, inflaming/infecting the gums and eventually rotting the teeth. Pockets are caused in the first place by leaving food - including fruit - around the base of the teeth. Then when food gets stuck in the pockets, the pockets become deeper and the gums recede from the teeth.

Since I started using the waterpik, the pockets have diminished a lot. Now I don't have any 4s, and nearly all are 1s and 2s. Flossing helped, but not enough. The water pik made the difference.

I was told by my dentist and both his hygenists that eating fruit leaves an acid PH in our mouths that helps bacteria to grow (It's understandable to me that bacteria likes fruit. I like fruit too!) That's why if we can't brush after eating fruit, it's helpful to at least rinse with water, or even better, rinse with salt water to change the PH.

I don't think brushing will hurt our teeth, as long as we're not brushing too hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables