Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pumpkin seed sprouts (pics) - a powerhouse of nutrition
Date: April 10, 2014 03:48AM

Many websites say they are almost impossible to sprout, but if you get good seeds you can manage it. Pumpkin seeds have an extremely poor phosphorous - calcium ratio so it makes it hard to make it a mainstay in your diet unless you combine it with certain foods.

Done well, we can get many golden jewels from the wonderful pumpkin seed sprouts, such as:

* high zinc levels where copper - zinc are very well balanced
* limiting amino acids such as methinone and lysine are well supplied, and over 60% utilisable protein
* high in iron and various other minerals and nutrients.
* various natural plant hormones beneficial to men too.

Like with many of the common seeds, this is a very big nutrition boy indeed.

Me think...the best way to have these regularly would be to combine them with chia seed sprouts, sesame or poppy seed sprouts. BUT...if you have them in good amounts (especially with sprouted sunflower) it is highly advised you have the Hydrilla green algae with the meal to help balance out the phosphorous - calcium ratio. Even having them with chia sprouts, it is still recommended to have them with the Hydrilla or some high fresh high calcium herb. Maybe take the hydrilla before the meal, or possibly take it 2 hours after the seeds so the green digests the same times as the seeds.

Very few sprouted pumpkin seed pictures on the internet so l am very excited to add some. I will sprout them one more day in the sprout heater and will have these tommorrow when the hooks (tails) are more developed. Trying out a new sprouted food is always an exciting time.

Pumpkin seed sprouts - sample

Still a way to go before all pumpkin seeds sprout, but l am determined to get these lads over the line so they all have hooks by tommorrow

An updated picture of the pumpkin sprouts will be posted when they have reached their full beauty and glory.

In the mean time, here is a picture of my other new sprout, the sprouted buckwheat groats. Only took my close to 20 years to realise my health food shop sold them. winking smiley

Been wanting this moment to come for close to 20 years, and now the time has come to have my first pumpkin seed sprouts. I am delighted to have the opportunity. smiling smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2014 03:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pumpkin seed sprouts (pics) - a powerhouse of nutrition
Date: April 10, 2014 03:58AM

Something interesting about food combining too. I am normally strict about this, but yesterday l broke the golden rules due to funny circumstances. I did a big no no and blended kelp granules with my seeds, and sure enough, l got the symptoms of wind that is basically non existant when l eat my foods.

If l have kelp before the seeds l don't get issues. If l mix kelp with the seeds l get issues. Even when l eat sprouted beans and grains l don't get digestive issues. This reconfirms to me...we need to layer our foods from least time used in digestion to longest time used in digestion being the last food.

Mixing greens with nuts or seeds in a blended drink is never ideal. Mixing fruits with greens is a disaster. Eating greens after nuts/seeds is a disaster. Mixing various fruits can be a disaster too.

After the mishap yesterday, l am never ever going to be told that strict food combining isn't important. We need to layer our food with compatable food and sub food groups.

We'll also do another experiment tonight...we'll see how buckwheat groat sprouts combine with lentil and grain sprouts. This will be very interesting to really check out the nature of the buckwheat seed. It is said to be a fruit, but how does it combine with a grain???

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2014 04:07AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: April 10, 2014 01:32PM

Pumpkin seed sprouts (fully grown hooks)

4 hours in the sprout heater allowed the tails (hooks) to be fully grown. Still lots of pumpkin sprouts only have small hooks and some have not sprouted yet. The problem is that things are starting to get slimey and if l am not careful the seeds might start to rot. They might go better being soaked in H202.

Here is a crazy sounding tutorial on how to sprout pumpkin seeds. They take 7 days, mine take 2.5 days.
[www.gvgo.ca]

Sproutpeople call them soaks and barely have any tails (hooks) coming out.
[sproutpeople.org]

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: April 10, 2014 03:29PM

Do you let the tails grow the same length for both sunflower and pumpkin seeds?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables