Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Confused about acid and alkaline...
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:28PM

I've been wandering lately about acid / alkaline foods and drinks, and I can't really get my head around it. I've been drinking a fair amount of kombucha lately, which generally has a pH of around 4 (even though I 2nd ferment it with fruit/green leafy veg), so it is pretty acidic. Meanwhile, my urine is generally around neutral. Which makes me wonder, what happens for that to occur.. is calcium being leached from my bones to maintain a neutral environment in the body? I know that lemon juice is acidic, yet causes alkalinity in the body, and I'm wondering (hoping..) if kombucha is the same? I don't really get it! Hoping some of you clever people can help me! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Confused about acid and alkaline...
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:49PM

Some foods/drinks are acidic but alkalize the body like you mentioned. Some are acid forming, it doesn't really matter what they are to start with it is what they produce in the body. As far as I can tell fermented foodstuff is generally alkalizing so don't worry about leaching calcium. Eating acid producing foods is normal for all humans as long as you are healthy your body will accommodate. If you are sick then you should test and balance out your diet to compensate. If you just eat alkalizing foods it will create problems in your body and probably your mind. You will likely feel the issues when you are to alkaline.

Date: August 01, 2013 10:50AM

thanks rzman10001.

so interesting, I got this video in my inbox today!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ronbn49 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 12:51AM

The diet can be alkaline but if the kidneys and the lymph system are not working properly acids will not be leaving the body as they should. When the urine test strips shows acid that means acids are leaving the body. We should consume 80% of our food as alkaline, fruits veggies and such and 20% acids, meats, beans and such. Here in the USA it is mostly reversed with 80% being acid and 20% alkaline. Calcium is used as a buffer to maintain a ph of 7.365 in the blood. Many get enough calcium from food but if it gets low at times it can be taken from the bones like bone spurs etc. The part of the body responsible for moving out the acids is the lymph system and the elimination organs like the kidneys colon, skin,lungs. Some foods enter the body as an alkaline like meat but turn to an acid as the cells burn it, other foods like citrus can enter as an acid but leave an alkaline reside for the lymph system to clean.It is when the lymph system gets bogged down, sluggish and acidic that we get cancer as the acids start damaging cells causing them to mutate. Lymph moves by muscle activity so having a life of no exercise causes a sluggish lymph system.

Date: October 28, 2013 03:28PM

Thanks for all the info guys smiling smiley x

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:16PM

I been reading about Coral Calcium lately to help you be more alkaline. DO you guys think it works>

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:13PM

OK I see Sproutmans reply now. I also think Candida can be caused by alcohol consumption, and bread cuz both of those have yeast, yes?

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:58PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I been reading about Coral Calcium lately to help
> you be more alkaline. DO you guys think it works>

Does it work, Yes. Is it the proper approach, I think NO! Putting ground up coral into your gut is not a good thing imo.

Date: October 28, 2013 10:04PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> OK I see Sproutmans reply now. I also think
> Candida can be caused by alcohol consumption, and
> bread cuz both of those have yeast, yes?

Yes, alcohal is not good for this for many reasons as one can see with common sense. I tested positive one time for a yeast common in fermenting beer with a comprehensive stool sample. Interesting enough when you are in this condition you can "get drunk" when eating sugars, bread etc. because you have the yeast down there out of balance and it's fermenting alcohal, and that makes you feel good right LOL.

Date: October 29, 2013 06:57PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> OK I see Sproutmans reply now. I also think
> Candida can be caused by alcohol consumption, and
> bread cuz both of those have yeast, yes?

I liked powerlifters comments on the subject of bread and alcohal because the issue is not so much the yeast. I just wanted to point out that the yeast CAN be part of the issue. I still am not sure how much of the yeast is actually active in bread or alcohal. I am guessing some is though in certian products and if taken in quantity over time would be an issue.

Also I wanted to confirm that taking a crushed up rock mineral like coral calcium can actually calcify the digestive tract and make things worse. I have been told this by Brian Clement also. I have tried C.C. and it made me very alkaline! but this was years ago, since then I have learned more about the subject. It's amazing what people will buy into though.

Date: October 31, 2013 03:49PM

This is a great vid. for some advice on acid alkaline balance from Brian Clement.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 25, 2014 03:41PM

I read the acid and alkaline diet book. I think it is written from someone's experience. Tomatoes are good for only Blood Type O. I use the Blood Type Diet to reduce inflammation in my body. I heard somewhere, your body will always excrete neutral PH urine and saliva.

Knowing which foods help your body will serve you well as you age. Not being stiff, not becoming short of breath, having enough energy to stay awake all day,having great digestion, and normalizing blood chemistries is the indication you are in balance.

Be aware of how food affects your body, how you feel, and If you need help, buy a Blood Type Diet book from www.keystobasichealth.com for less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables