Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is there a way to make truly raw kombucha?
Posted by: thatoneguy ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:14AM

I'm interested in making kombucha, but it bugs me that you have to heat up water in order to steep the tea.

I'm currently transitioning to raw. I'm going to go raw on 1-1-10.

I know after researching that you can use raw sugar or agave (I don't use honey) instead of refined sugar. But is there a way to make it truly raw?

I'm sort of obsessive compulsive and if I'm going to go raw I don't really want to heat up water on the stove. I'm don't know. I'm torn I guess. It's not raw, but it is living. I want to be raw, but I also want kombucha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 01:25AM by thatoneguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a way to make truly raw kombucha?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:42AM

Please remember that the tea component in kombucha tea, if it's black or green tea, is already "cooked." The drying and fermenting process in tea making heats the leaves up beyond the temp at which they would still be considered raw. So pouring boiling water over the tea isn't an issue. If you are deriving something "living" from it, this may be excused. Or so the rationale seems to go. I was making kombucha only while transitioning, and later gave it up. You might want to check out the Recipes forum to see if anyone has ever incubated truly raw kombucha in a living or low-temp-dried herb suntea. Theoretically, I guess it could be done . . .

Posted by: thatoneguy ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:47AM

Yeah, that's another thing. I read on another forum that Yogi tea dries the leaves at low temps??? The FAQ section of this site says the best thing to do regarding tea is to grow your own herbs. I don't know if you can grow your own black or green tea?

I was thinking about drinking it only during my transition as well. I have over 6 months to decide, lol.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2009 02:43PM

thatoneguy,

The camellia sinensis plant is the source of tea leaves. I wouldn't bother growing my own,as it probably requires considerable cultivation. Maybe do more reaerch into Yogi Tea's methods and give one of theirs a try. In any case, good luck to you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables