Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

blending - glycemic index
Posted by: ilikerawfood ()
Date: May 17, 2009 08:52PM

I'm wondering if blending a fruit will have an significant effect on the glycemic index compared to just chewing it?

Re: blending - glycemic index
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: May 18, 2009 05:11AM

I dont know about the glycemic index but it may raise your triglycerides.

I very seldom blend I just use my teeth for chewing.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 18, 2009 04:37PM

cherimoya,

Why on earth would blending fruit raise your triglycerides?

I eat fruits whole, and eat them pureéd only in small amounts in an otherwise huge green smoothie. Which a swish around and chew before swallowing, and consume slowly. I think that's the key--slooooowwwwwwly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 04:37PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 18, 2009 05:46PM

I'm gessing that if you drink your blended fruit quickly, you will have a higher GI.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 19, 2009 01:50AM

> I dont know about the glycemic index but it may
> raise your triglycerides.
>

..very subtle cherimoya, blending making it easier to consume large amounts of fruit carbohydrates quickly..

"In most organisms, excess carbohydrates are regularly catabolised to form Acetyl-CoA, which is a feed stock for the fatty acid synthesis pathway; fatty acids, triglycerides, and other lipids are commonly used for long-term energy storage." [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 19, 2009 11:08AM

Loeve - So, do you get higher triglycerides and fatty acids in your bloodstream or your cells?

I'm gessing that they see higher triglycerides with bloodtests?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 19, 2009 12:07PM

It seems to me that blending fruit would raise your blood sugar level faster then chewing because I have always heard the fruit is very fast in absorption and that blending breaks food down for faster absorption. Put the two together and fruit + blending = increase in the blood sugar level.

Date: May 19, 2009 12:34PM

..seems to me fruit juicing vs. whole fruit was formally studied by the glycemic index founders years ago. It was done for raw apples and oranges vs. processed juices (not necessarily raw), and the increase in GI with juicing was 10 or 15% or so. Again it was not a completely "Raw" study, IMO.

Fruit and fruit products (GI)

Apple, raw† 36±2
Orange, raw† 43±3

Apple juice 41±2
Orange juice 50±2

[www.mendosa.com]

Healthybun,
I think you're right about the bloodtests showing higher triglycerides.

Excess carbohydrate in the bloodstream from, say, an excessive "glycemic load" would lead to lipogenesis and storage in various places in the body..

"In humans fatty acids are predominantly formed in the liver and adipose tissue, and mammary glands during lactation." [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 20, 2009 07:56PM

Great info, guys. Anyone know about the caloric effect on the body of fruit juice versus smoothies versus whole fruit?

In other words, with the whole fiber added in, is the caloric NET effect smaller than with juices or smoothies?

Grateful for any resource as I am just coming off a prolonged fruit and veggie juice feast. Wanting to start with eating what I have been juicing, but I surely cant eat that much, LOL! How come on a juicefeast I would lose a lot of weight, even though calorically this might be higher than actually eating the solid fruits and veggies?

Date: May 21, 2009 06:17PM

..'smoothies' don't seem to be in the vocabulary of the GI Group, but 'puree' is..

from the GI Group News (comments):

Anonymous said...
I keep reading that juices are missing the fiber found in the fruits they are made from. If I make my juice in a Vita Mix machine and drink both the pulp and juice, am I getting the fiber, or is the fiber destroyed by pulverizing it?

03 June, 2008
GI Group said...
Catherine Saxelby (www.foodwatch.com.au) answers the question is the fibre destroyed by pulverizing it?

"Generally the pulp is discarded from the juice so you don’t get all that goodness and fibre (although these days, many juicing companies suggest ways to utilize the pulp to overcome this e.g. apple or orange pulp can go into muffins, vegetable pulp can be added to soup or Bolognaise sauce. Or you can toss it into your compost bin).

"Your Vitalmax juicer is a non-centrifugal machine – it has a slow-turning screw which crushes or squeezes the fruit or veg. Drinking the pulp AND the juice is the best way to maximize the fibre in your juice which you’re already doing..."

[ginews.blogspot.com]

..did you notice the confusion over what a 'Vitamix' does?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables