Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Diet after weight loss surgery?
Posted by: TuffTiger ()
Date: September 06, 2014 08:13AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this website and looking for information and/or helpful advice. I am female, 27 years old, 5’7 and weigh 240 lbs. currently. Last August (08/2013) I weighed in at my highest at 398 lbs. I had weight loss surgery on 09/11/2013 and am coming up on a year. I had the vertical sleeve surgery (not a bypass) where they removed a large portion of my stomach (all food is absorbed, just eat smaller portions). Right now, I can eat pretty good portions and snack throughout the day trying to target 1000 calories per day-mostly protein (as the doctors suggest). For quite some time I have been considering going raw/vegan because I want to ‘feel’ healthy and have more energy. Currently, about 85% of my diet is organic and I mostly eat-lean protein (chicken), nuts/seeds, fruits/veggies. After surgery I didn’t really pay attention to ALL the recommendations from the doctors/nurses/nutritionists because they encourage artificial sweeteners and protein powders with horrible ingredients in them.

I am not looking for absolute advice, but if anyone has any knowledge or insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am and will continue to have regularly monthly visits with my primary doctor as I see him to get B-12 injections (so I don’t have to take those vitamins 3X a week!). I only took vitamins for about a month after surgery and am never low or deficient on any and should not be because I did not have a bypass surgery. I try to work out about 3X a week (weights and cardio) and have no other major health issues, aside from pain and migraines (arthritis/degenerative disc disease-mostly from multiple car accidents).

Keeping the doctor’s recommendation in mind I plan to still incorporate raw vegan protein powder into any lifestyle changes and want to do everything safe so I will keep seeing my doctors and have blood work done on a regular basis. I am smart and do NOT want to do anything to jeopardize my health or safety.

Does anyone know of anyone who has had weight loss surgery and switched to a raw food diet? Is it possible to eat enough calories to remain healthy on this diet (keeping in mind that I cannot eat a ton of food, but can eat/snack small bites most of the day)? What is the best way to transition (cold turkey/raw before 4PM/etc.)? What are the normal first feelings/reactions-physical, mental, emotional?

On a side note… I have a lot of extra skin-not a ton because I am still relatively young and I work out, but has anyone seen any improvements to skin/elasticity with a raw diet? Any improvement in looks/appearance (fine lines/wrinkles/etc.)?

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated and please keep in mind that I am smart and want to make a safe/healthy transition and will continue to be monitored by my physicians.

Thank You,

Chelsea

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Diet after weight loss surgery?
Posted by: TuffTiger ()
Date: September 06, 2014 08:18AM

* I am NOT seeking medical advice, just looking to see if any one has any experience themselves or has known anyone that has had weight loss surgery that has gone on a raw diet or someone who has a wealth of knowledge about a raw life style smiling smiley

-Chelsea

Re: Raw Diet after weight loss surgery?
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 06, 2014 04:54PM

A raw food diet, would benefit you, it would add water to your body, that will help you heal with the surgery scars and skin issues and going back to a smaller size. I would start with lots of smoothies to fill yourself up, some cooked food favorites made into raw recipes, it is not about starvation or dieting, you have to find out what the foods are that will make you FULL feeling to really succeed and stay raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables